Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHambo
Limey

Loc: UK
A few questions
    #3187020 - 09/27/04 05:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Please pardon me if any of this has been covered already. I have perused these forums for a few good weeks now and still have little insight into these things and I tend to forget easily so to have it all together here would be a great help.

So, Now I'm around halfway through the colonisation stage of my first grow, I would like to gather a few opinions about procedures for my next batch.

1: What is the best growing medium, for a wide variety of cubensis, for conveniance, for quick growing and with a mind to small terrerium setups?

2: What is the best liquid mycelium tek/medium. With a mind to storing the culture. (As a side note I found it odd that in the foolproof liquid mycelium guide it states mycelium syringes can be kept for 'at least 2 months' whereas with the dunking thing people seem to say it will die after 48 hrs?)

3) A really subjective question I suppose, but generally speaking.. If my cakes work, how long will the fruiting cycle last for, as a rough idea? assume with the setup above, dunking and maybe rolling/double end verm casing.

4) Genetics (urgh). So after a few 'generations' (spores I guess), the mushrooms will petre out? And spores can not be assumed as in endless supply, especially here where in the UK where I suspect the law is about to change very soon. And also cloning with mycelia/ cardboard tek will lead to reduced vigor? Is there ANY way to come full cycle?

Thats about all I got, thanks for your help so far and in the future, u knowledgable people!

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A few questions [Re: Hambo]
    #3187046 - 09/27/04 05:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

1 PF tek: vermiculite and brown rice flour
2 dextrose water, or karo water. dunking is with clean water only, to rehydrate mycelium for fruiting
3 0-8 weeks
4 you can keep using the same spores again and again without losing anything much - they only lose vigour if you don't let them form spores in between. cardboard is just a substrate. you can go full cycle every time with one print until your dying day.

--------------------
buh

OfflineHambo
Limey

Re: A few questions [Re: shirley knott]
    #3187490 - 09/27/04 07:19 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well thanks shirl, I think I understand a bit more on point 4 now, seems I misunderstood some posts. Not swamped by replies here however so:

What I really meant by the first question is (if PF is the best substrate) why do so many use many and varied alternates.

also I'm hoping for more than 0 weeks on point 3 but I wouldn't count on it. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
Re: A few questions [Re: Hambo]
    #3187550 - 09/27/04 07:30 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

PF is a great starting point for beginners. It is complete and well documented and pretty much everybody starts out with it. If you follow it exactly it's pretty difficult to fail.

Once you understand what's going on and how the mushroom life cycle and growing process works you can try using grains, birdseed, popcorn, other miscellaneus growing mediums and casing techniques.

After that the next step is usually straw/poo combinations. You'll get a *lot* more fruit off a tub full of straw and poop (and it probably is "the best" - although that will be a hot debate). But nobody is going to recommend that too a new grower, cuz there is more room for error and disappointment.

Start small..... read a lot..... learn from your mistakes.... patience.... understand what your're doing... and change your growing styles as you learn more about the hobby.

OfflineHambo
Limey

Re: A few questions [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #3187905 - 09/27/04 08:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Argh! I will never use poo!

Lolol, I don't want to, its icky! and secondly the missus will NEVER and I mean NEVER EVER allow that in the house. It would be the poo goes or I do.. :/

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation