Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Re: Polyamory/ open Relationships? Any experience? Opinions? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #12025728 - 02/14/10 04:31 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Quote:

lukeboots said:
What do you mean by "nothing inherently wrong" then?  Nothing is inherently wrong.

I never said "nothing inherently wrong".
I stated that there was nothing inherently at fault

Hair splitting.  I agree, I guess?

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Polyamory/ open Relationships? Any experience? Opinions? [Re: lukeboots]
    #12026366 - 02/14/10 09:45 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

lukeboots said:
Hair splitting.  I agree, I guess?

Not hairsplitting, but you deliberately chopping my post in half in ignorance of what I actually said.
The word "with" is a conjunction. This means I did not say simply "There is nothing inherently at fault".
This indicates that the meaning of that phrase is specifically conjoined and dependent upon that which is expressed through the conjunction.
The phrase doesn't mean anything, on its own, regarding the idea that I am expressing.

Even if I had said only that, the word "fault" has an entirely different meaning than the word "wrong" in the first place. :lol:
Reading comprehension certainly helps make the difference in terms of understanding. Trying to say that my argument is only that "it isn't wrong" or that "sex is natural" only demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding on your part, especially evidenced by your insistence to not acknowledge what I actually said and augmented by your mistake in thinking the word "fault" has a similar meaning to the word "wrong".

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Polyamory/ open Relationships? Any experience? Opinions? [Re: MagicHombre]
    #12026398 - 02/14/10 09:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MagicHombre said:
I believe you are misunderstanding...
My description of the "dynamics" is not a matter of "sitting at home, not working, not doing anything." It's a matter of adding more "dynamics" to an existing relationship in the form of other people and the multitude of emotions that come with people.

Your description of dynamics, though, is exactly the same thing, as I simply don't see a quantitative difference between one member of a couple having a relationship with another person and that member having a job, in terms of how each can potentially effect the relationship.
Each is a variable representing a time commitment, an influence outside the relationship itself that nonetheless effects the relationship, etc. etc. etc.
My point is that adding a different person to the equation, in terms of how a relationship actually functions, is not necessarily any different than adding a job, a hobby, a tendency in behavior.
It is still a question of how the relationship is orientated - how it is that the people relate.
A relationship exists as the manifestation of how individuals relate to each other. Whether or not other variables actually make the relationship more difficult is determined by that, and not by any inherent quality of the variable itself.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Polyamory/ open Relationships? Any experience? Opinions? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #12026399 - 02/14/10 09:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Picky picky.:satansmoking:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineMagicHombre
Stranger
 User Gallery

#12026743 - 02/14/10 11:10 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Quote:

MagicHombre said:
My description of the "dynamics" is not a matter of "sitting at home, not working, not doing anything." It's a matter of adding more "dynamics" to an existing relationship in the form of other people and the multitude of emotions that come with people.

Your description of dynamics, though, is exactly the same thing, as I simply don't see a quantitative difference between one member of a couple having a relationship with another person and that member having a job, in terms of how each can potentially effect the relationship.

Wrong, it's not the same thing. If you don't see the difference between adding a job versus adding a person to a relationship, then I don't know what more I can say.  :shrug:

Quote:

Each is a variable representing a time commitment, an influence outside the relationship itself that nonetheless effects the relationship, etc. etc. etc.
My point is that adding a different person to the equation, in terms of how a relationship actually functions, is not necessarily any different than adding a job, a hobby, a tendency in behavior.
It is still a question of how the relationship is orientated - how it is that the people relate.
A relationship exists as the manifestation of how individuals relate to each other. Whether or not other variables actually make the relationship more difficult is determined by that, and not by any inherent quality of the variable itself.

Once again...

Quote:

MagicHombre said:

You may think that adding another person to a relationship is like adding a hobby, but you're wrong. A person is not a hobby. I'm not claiming that it can't be done. All I'm saying is that more people creates an invitation for more problems.

Take the pizza argument for example:
It is easier to come to an agreeable set of toppings with less people.
Less people have less suggestions.
The quantity of the equation makes it less complex.

Edited by MagicHombre (02/14/10 04:24 PM)

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #12026935 - 02/14/10 11:52 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

it's kinda hard to have a decent conversation with you when you expect everyone to have the exact same definitions of words with multiple definitions as you do, fg. i may have taken something you said slightly out of context, but that's usually how quoting works - and i certainly didn't do it to make your point convoluted. sorry i'm not so intellectually equipped as to have an opinion on human relationships.

regardless of your semantic nitpicking, I still think you're way off the mark. but i can't argue with you without my dictionary, so i'll save it for another time. :smile2:

Quote:

Icelander said:
Picky picky.:satansmoking:

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #12027608 - 02/14/10 01:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

While in theory I have noting against swinging, I've never once see it work out. Maybe I just hang out with the wrong people.:shrug:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineMagicHombre
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Polyamory/ open Relationships? Any experience? Opinions? [Re: Icelander]
    #12027620 - 02/14/10 01:52 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
While in theory I have noting against swinging, I've never once see it work out. Maybe I just hang out with the wrong people.:shrug:

Well said.

--------------------
The only thing I'm sure of is that you can't be sure of anything!

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#12029720 - 02/14/10 07:11 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

lukeboots said:
it's kinda hard to have a decent conversation with you when you expect everyone to have the exact same definitions of words with multiple definitions as you do, fg.

I don't recall expecting anything from anyone. What I do recall doing is pointing out a problem with your reading comprehension.
Both "wrong" and "fault" each do have multiple definitions, yet none of these definitions of the two words are overlapping. :shocked:
"Fault" denotes responsibility for a flaw, an error, a failing. "Wrong" indicates incorrectness or falsity.
Further, the word "fault" was modified in usage, so that we're instead speaking of "at fault", which distinguishes to a greater degree the fact that I'm referring to something being responsible or to blame.
Responsible or to blame for what? The discussion is directly concerning the question of whether or not such relationships function. My statement was within this context, and I even explicitly stated this before you proclaimed that it was only hair splitting and that what you were asserting I was saying was the same as what I was actually saying.

Obviously, there's no grounds for imagining I'm expecting everyone to have the exact same definitions of words with multiple definitions when the fact that these words have multiple definitions is completely irrelevant to your mix-up of the words and still irrelevant to the fact that the failure on your part to understand what I wrote has nothing to do with an exactitude of definition of one word, but rather how multiple words, modifiers and conjunctions, delineated precisely my intended meaning.

Quote:

i may have taken something you said slightly out of context

Ending a quote in mid-sentence to make it seem as if there was no difference between what you asserted that I said and what I was actually saying isn't taking something slightly out of context. Its not like you didn't realize that the conjunction which directly followed the part of the same sentence you did quote was specifically indicating that I was talking about something further than where you left off.

Quote:

sorry i'm not so intellectually equipped as to have an opinion on human relationships.

Why are you apologizing for a non-issue? This isn't regarding having an opinion on human relationships; this is specifically regarding the veracity of your opinion of what I said.

Quote:

regardless of your semantic nitpicking

Someone who doesn't understand what was said due to blurry comprehension would regard being unwavering in face of your blurriness as "semantic nitpicking". :wink:

Quote:

, I still think you're way off the mark.

I'm not surprised. :lol:

MagicHombre, I'll reply to you tomorrow. :grin:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Polyamory/ open Relationships? Any experience? Opinions? [Re: MagicHombre]
    #12034996 - 02/15/10 04:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MagicHombre said:
Wrong, it's not the same thing. If you don't see the difference between adding a job versus adding a person to a relationship, then I don't know what more I can say.  :shrug:

I didn't say there wasn't a difference between these two things in general, but rather that they are exactly the same thing in terms of how each can potentially effect the relationship.
How the influence of a career can effect the actions and feelings of those involved in a relationship can potentially be equally devastating. Maybe even more sometimes.
Time demands and schedule conflicts, stress, insecurity regarding the other's co-workers, money issues....
What determines how difficult adding a certain variable will make the relationship? The specifics of the variable and what it means to those involved, due to their individual nature.

Quote:

You may think that adding another person to a relationship is like adding a hobby, but you're wrong. A person is not a hobby.

Obviously a person isn't a hobby, but I wasn't saying that a person was a hobby, and I didn't say that it was necessarily as easy to add another person to a relationship as it is to add as a simple hobby.
I'm simply saying that your description of the mechanics of the matter as one of pure mathematics, that adding another person inherently makes it more difficult for the relationship to function isn't in tune with the actuality of the matter.
The actuality of the matter is that how difficult it will be is only determined by the nature of those involved and how they feel regarding the relationship.
Adding another person isn't necessarily any more difficult than adding Saturday night bowling if the nature of those involved doesn't pose a problem.

Quote:

Take the pizza argument for example:
It is easier to come to an agreeable set of toppings with less people.
Less people have less suggestions.
The quantity of the equation makes it less complex.

And if someone else comes over for pizza and it just so happens that all of them have pretty much the same favorite toppings?
Well then, that'd prove my point that how difficult and how much harder it is for the relationship to function isn't determined by a simle mathematical equation of how many people, but rather the actual nature of those people involved and how that determines how the relationship will function. :cool:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineMagicHombre
Stranger
 User Gallery

#12035774 - 02/15/10 06:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I can see your point, but I don't understand how you can't see mine, as simple as it is. :shrug:

--------------------
The only thing I'm sure of is that you can't be sure of anything!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order