Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Any idea WHY?
    #3186332 - 09/27/04 02:46 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

anyone have an suggestions as to the reasons why my life is so awesome? now this is a serious question and one that i have struggeld with for a long time.

I mean we all know their are millions of people, billions even in the world today faced with unimaginable suffering. Their are people born disfigured, people miscarried, people born into poverty, people sexually abused by thier parents, people mangeld mutilated and deformed. Their are people being tortured, people born in or trapped in opressive or evil regimes, people went up the chimneys in auschwitz, people are dieing now in rowanda and baghdad. Their are people who have never known freedom, never known love, never had parents, never had enough to eat or clean water to drink. Their are people sold into slavery and people whose organs are stolen and sold on the black market. Their are people with cancer leprosy and aids, people who are tormented for the colour of their skin or their religion or the gender they like to fuck with. Their are people , basically whose lives are very tragic and their are LOTS OF THEM!

now... theres me.

I was born white, and not just in north america but in canada where the air is fresh, the wilderness is unspoiled, and pretty much every freedom is afforded. Canada is, no doubt, one of the best places in the entire world to live. I was born healthy into a loving family with healthy happy siblings and caring, supporting, providing parents. I have grown tall and strong and handsome. I never had trouble fitting in with social groups, and i find school easy and even enjoyable. Both my parents and my society either doesnt care or is unable to prevent me from doing, essentially whatever i want. I cant even count the number of times i have brazenly walked down a street smoking weed or tripping on shrooms.

I have never been molested or abused. I have not had to live a life where i am unhappy or ashamed of almost any aspect of myself. I have access to thousands of years of human history and wisdom, all at the touch of some buttons.

I am provided with not only all i need but damn near all i want. I am shown affection by more people than i can count. My economic and social future, aside from drastic and unforeseen personal or global fuck ups, is pretty much assured as being as sunny as my past.

I look outside and see beutifull autumn leaves and i open my window and hear children laughing. It seems i have been dwelling in this wierd heaven for a long time.

my question is, for fucks sakes why! Why me? and not others?

and what is the responsibility conveyed on me with this unimaginable luck? am i obligated to spend my life trying to help those poor souls who never got the breaks i did? is it wrong to enjoy this seemingly undeserved luck?

i used to get really depressed thinking about the savage past of my race and how i seem to have ended up in such a good situation, probably indirectly because of the atrocities commited by white conquerors in the past. I used to get bleakly depressed or apathetic because of my undeserved luck and more specifically the undeserved UNLUCK or bad luck of so many others.

I mean theirs so much suffering out their and NONE of it seems to find its way to me.

How long can this last?

its tempting to think im living this life as a result of my good works and karmic surplus in past lives, but who knows?

So far the only reasons i have found for both misery and success are

A. misery exists so i can fully enjoy and be thankfull for my own lack of misery

and B. Great success and achievment and joy exists so that i can achieve it and aim for even greater hieghts.

They say heaven and hell are both on earth, and this is definetly true.

Im just wondering why exactly i ended up in heaven, and what obligations that incurs on me?

fuck its a wierd world

:confused: .... but...

:grin: :stoned: :heart: :sun: :mushroom2: :tongue2:

please keep in mind this not gloating or bragging. Not a single thing that i have stated is the result of anything i did. I just got good genetics, good luck... it could have been so different.

its totally whacked.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction. This poster is no longer active.

Edited by Moonshoe (09/27/04 02:47 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineF0SS1L
Prehistoric Cyborg

Loc: 216
Re: Any idea WHY? [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3186375 - 09/27/04 03:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hmm, I've actually thought about this before. Sometimes I think about my life and always have the cynical outlook that I have to get cancer or something one of these days. In some countries your pretty much fucked from birth if your a girl, or black, ect. and yet I havn't had to deal with anything remotely close. Sure I can bitch about school, or not being able to smoke weed but its not so bad when you look at the big picture. What makes us so damn special that we shouldn't have to deal with the problems other people have.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3186491 - 09/27/04 03:33 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

enjoy,
think of it as living well for all of us
it is the essence of what a bodhisatva would do.

if there is anything to morphogenisis, your success at good living will spread.

Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
    #3186569 - 09/27/04 03:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well, from my memories of eastern philosophies and karma, your happiness now maybe a result of your good past deeds. Like u were a noble saint or a martyr, in your past life, and u lived decently, and now it is your turn on the better things in life.

This makes sense, but it may turn people in rich countries into pompous assholes, who think they deserve all of their wealth and happiness.

Hmmm, why is one born into misery and another into palaces? Is it a random chance, a well deserved fate after good and pious life, if everyone is reborn 1000 times, are those lifetimes randomly distributed from good to not so good to horrible lifes?

I guess no one will ever know...

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3186696 - 09/27/04 04:18 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Strange that you should ask this now, when I also have been questioning this sort of thing internally...

I also share the cynical outlook that I'm bound to get cancer or something... I tend to think "things are working out a lot lately, must mean I'm gonna get royally screwed soon"..

But who knows.. that's just my brain's pattern-detection abilities trying to predict my future based on observance of the commonality "only the good die young."

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #3186871 - 09/27/04 04:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'm one of the "lucky ones" too. Except a few weeks ago I smashed my skull on an unlucky fall skateboarding. Right now I can't totally control the right side of my face, but I am recovering, my energy levels are better, and I'm almost back to the point of wondering why everything always goes so well for me.. it's a little suspicious but I think it's 'cause I'm so smart and good-looking.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Any idea WHY? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3186875 - 09/27/04 04:55 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

We owe it all to God.

OfflineWhiteRussian
The Silence islouder then youthink
Loc: In your head :P
    #3186896 - 09/27/04 05:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Enjoy it while you can, who knows maybe one day something like cancer might happen to you, what will you say then? thank you? lol

Its all the same if you think about it, yes you got a good life, but dont feel bad about it.....embrace it

I, myself had a horrible life since birth, but people learn to deal with it, they always find something good to hold on too even if its just a qlimpse, after all your situation is unique, as well as mine, but would I consider it bad? No, its just there

the whole point is your here, and im here, so thats good :smile:

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Any idea WHY? [Re: WhiteRussian]
    #3186918 - 09/27/04 05:11 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

WhiteRussian said:
the whole point is your here, and im here, so thats good :smile:

That about sums it up!  :thumbup:

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3187291 - 09/27/04 06:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I must express the joy I feel
The present time
The instancy
The moment I create
but now is her
Given in birth
I need not crave
I create

{Chorus}

between past and to the future
the only moment could it be
Happiness is something temporarily
it always has to be renewed
So if one really need a source
and source is life itself
Well I be damn
im happy all the fucking time!

{Chorus}

OfflineDigs
Stranger
Male

Loc: aca
    #3187297 - 09/27/04 06:41 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Why not? :smile:

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#3187500 - 09/27/04 07:22 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hmm...God's not being very consistent with quality control.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
    #3187567 - 09/27/04 07:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

No life is better than another. It is only dependant upon self reflection and inward perception.

Relative to themself, one is everything. :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #3187974 - 09/27/04 09:02 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

anyone have an suggestions as to the reasons why my life is so awesome?

Some people suggest that karma and prior lives have something to do with it, but I think the answer's simpler. There seems to be a universal axiom that applies to everyone, everywhere:

** LIFE IS NOT FAIR **

Sometimes kind, gentle, little old ladies are raped and murdered and later that day an asshole wins the lottery.  Sometimes someone deserving wins the lottery and a murderer gets hit by a bus. I've never been able to find any sort of rhyme or reason to this; it just seems to be the way things are.

I've been told that this is a pessimistic view, but I think it's a neutral one.  On the whole, life's unfairness, both in our favor and against us, seems equally divided among all of us. For every one of us with leukemia, there's another one who's happy and healthy.

I take a fatalistic/optimistic view. To use a clich?, life dealt me a hand; what I do with it is up to me and complaining that I got some bad cards isn't gonna change them.

I'm grateful that life's card dealer has been (mostly) kind to me and I never forget or take that fact for granted.

By the way, I don't believe in karma, but I think it's a great principle to live by... :thumbup:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Edited by Diploid (09/28/04 02:14 AM)

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Any idea WHY? [Re: Diploid]
    #3188279 - 09/27/04 10:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

good replies yall.

One thing that helps me is when something stupidly bad happens to me for no good reason, lets say i pick up a cup of coffee in the morning after getting all dressed up to meet my girlfriend and the whole thing spills on my white pants and i go GODAMIT WHAT THE FUCK WAS THE POINT OF ThAT! you just gotta take a breath, look around you and say, well yeah but whats the point of sunshine? and good health? and green grass?

i mean everything is its own point, its just a matter of what you choose to focus on. You can either obsess over why life does such bad things or on why life is so good and in either case your right.

Yeah i dunno i agree with diploid that in the material, relative, human sense life isnt fair, and life doesnt reward the actions of the good.

I like quote the tao te ching "the same heaven gives birth to the just and unjust , the good and evil. Tao creates incesseantly and without judgement. Will not the soil respond as well to the wicked farmer as the good?" (paraphrased badly)

however i also think that every experience has its value and its purpose if only on a level beyond our current understanding. I mean easiest answer is , relativity is nescessary for perception, therefore evil is nescessary so that we can percieve good, suffering is nescessary so that we can percieve joy etc... and vice verse?

hmm. When life gets ya down best to focus on the Yin Yang, somewhere in all that blackness is a speck of light. Life rolls on.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction. This poster is no longer active.

OfflineF0SS1L
Prehistoric Cyborg

Loc: 216
    #3188557 - 09/27/04 10:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Moonshoe said:
lets say i pick up a cup of coffee in the morning after getting all dressed up to meet my girlfriend and the whole thing spills on my white pants and i go GODAMIT WHAT THE FUCK WAS THE POINT OF ThAT! you just gotta take a breath, look around you and say, well yeah but whats the point of sunshine? and good health? and green grass?

Hah. Thats actually an awsome way to look at things. I should try that. Or better yet, tell my dad that b/c hes always flipping out whereas I'm pretty laid back.

I think a lot of this can be related to chaos theory and basically the fact that we cant control anything. As much as I believe in God I dont think most (or any things) are a [direct] result of divine intervention. If bad things happen to you, you just have to try and make the best of them and tell yourself that you can put yourself in a better place. "Play the hand your dealt" - I always tell myself that when shitty things happen. I guess thats easy to say being a white, middle class, american that lives in the suburbs, but its not like shitty things dont happen to all of us.

Also remember: Karma. It exists and "what goes around comes around" so if your a good person, then good things will happen. And even if they dont, its a good way to live your life. Just b/c you're born into poverty doesnt give you an excuse to kill people and rob them.

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
Re: Any idea WHY? [Re: F0SS1L]
    #3188575 - 09/27/04 11:00 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The use of karma to justify "good actions" completely negates any real compassion behind it.

Do not do good with personal gain in mind, as this too is selfish :smile:

--------------------

Offlinetnecseda
birther to none
Re: Any idea WHY? [Re: deff]
    #3189352 - 09/28/04 01:22 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i like how its said just because its a good wayto live life

got karma?

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3189779 - 09/28/04 02:24 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Alot of people misunderstand Karma as a purely physical phenomenom. Karma is created by our minds, the actions and thoughts we engage in leave imprints in our subtle consciousness like seeds that grow into good or bad experiences. Since Karma is really a mental phenomenom you don't get alot of karma by doing good deeds selfishly.

Another thing people don't realize is that even good Karma isn't really good. Say you are Mother Terressa in this life and in the next your karma brings you rebirth as a God. In the realm of Gods everything in life is supremely blissfull and pleasureable and lasts for a really long time. But eventually the time comes when that life must end and your karma takes you some place else. Because of the satisfaction of your life as a God you lost your spiritual practice, using up all the merit of your karma without creating more. That means you are likely to take a lower rebirth.

This is why being a human is so valuable, we have it nice enough, and are intelligent enough to pursue spiritual practices that free us from pain. Animals and low life forms are to stupid or too consumed by desire, and Gods have it too good to the point where they don't accomplish anything.

Karma can definately be usefull in creating future conditions for developing your spiritual life, but of itself it ultimately brings your right back to where you started. That is why we should always dedicate our good actions to the spiritual practices of ourselves and all other people. If we don't it is likely that our good actions will be wasted as temporary enjoyments.

Sometimes I think of how many different kinds of plants and animals there are on this planet. I think about the trillions of insects and animals, and how rare human life is within that scheme. Think of how those beings wished they had the rational capacity of a human to solve their problems! That is why it is said that it is easier for a human to become Enlightened than for an animal or spirit to be born as a human.

And even among humans there is massive suffering and poverty. Most people's lives suck, and the world is filled with a degree and intensity of pain and misery that on our worst days we can't even fathom.

To live in a first world country with few material or monetary problems is a miracle. To even have time to think about this kind of stuff and post on this board is a miracle. I don't think any of us will ever know why we have things so insanely good, but we can and should always appreciate the amazing blessings we have been given and always be grateful.

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Any idea WHY? [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3191187 - 09/28/04 01:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

"To live in a first world country with few material or monetary problems is a miracle. To even have time to think about this kind of stuff and post on this board is a miracle. I don't think any of us will ever know why we have things so insanely good, but we can and should always appreciate the amazing blessings we have been given and always be grateful. "

Amen brother

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology