Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Bleach safe? YES
    #3185354 - 09/27/04 06:54 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I just remembered a thread talking about bleach being safe or not compared to peroxide. That last typhoon reminded me that it is. The proper way to treat water after water is turned back on after a major disaster is to add 2 tablespoons of chlorine bleach per gallon of water to make safe drinking water. As a matter of a fact, it's the instruction given prior to every typhoon, it seems like.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: Bleach safe? YES [Re: Sam1912]
    #3185375 - 09/27/04 07:32 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Two tablespoons?!?!

Is this for drinking water?

If so, that is absolutely incorrect, and I am pretty sure that a solution of 2 tablespoons per gallon would be poisonous.

I have always heard 2 drops per liter; 8 drops per gallon or a little over 1/8 of a teaspoon per gallon.

Here, straight from FEMA

Quote:

In some situations, boiling may not be an option. The alternative is to treat the water chemically. Plain household chlorine bleach may be used. Be sure the label states that hypochlorite is the only active ingredient. Bleach containing soap or fragrances is not acceptable.  With an eye dropper, add 8 drops of bleach per gallon of water (16 if the water is cloudy), stir and let stand. After 30 minutes the water should taste and smell of chlorine. At this time it can be used. If the taste and smell (and appearance in the case of cloudy water) has not changed, add another dose and let stand. If after one half hour the water does not have a chlorine smell, do not use it.

:smile:

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bleach safe? YES [Re: discman1]
    #3185842 - 09/27/04 12:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

discman1 said:
Two tablespoons?!?!

Is this for drinking water?

If so, that is absolutely incorrect, and I am pretty sure that a solution of 2 tablespoons per gallon would be poisonous.

I have always heard 2 drops per liter; 8 drops per gallon or a little over 1/8 of a teaspoon per gallon.

Here, straight from FEMA

Quote:

In some situations, boiling may not be an option. The alternative is to treat the water chemically. Plain household chlorine bleach may be used. Be sure the label states that hypochlorite is the only active ingredient. Bleach containing soap or fragrances is not acceptable.  With an eye dropper, add 8 drops of bleach per gallon of water (16 if the water is cloudy), stir and let stand. After 30 minutes the water should taste and smell of chlorine. At this time it can be used. If the taste and smell (and appearance in the case of cloudy water) has not changed, add another dose and let stand. If after one half hour the water does not have a chlorine smell, do not use it.

:smile:

good link
5 shrooms for you! :thumbup: :faded: :headbanger:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bleach safe? YES [Re: Sam1912]
    #3185861 - 09/27/04 12:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

A couple of drops is all we ever used to clean water for drinking, iodine is preferable to bleach BTW. None of these will render chemical contamination safe this is only for bacterial contamination. Now A city nearby that gets water from us has higher concentrations which maybe 1/8 teaspoon range but I don't drink it (way to nasty)! Yes great link 4sure!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation