Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Extrovert or Introvert? [Re: Frog]
    #3189832 - 09/28/04 12:32 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I am way too introverted to the point where I just space out and don't pay attention to things like I'm ADD or something. I think extroverts must feel alot more grounded and in tune with the world around them and less lost in their own minds.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinephEight
fate
Loc: houston, tx
Re: Extrovert or Introvert? [Re: Frog] * 1
    #3190036 - 09/28/04 01:18 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Introvert, definately.

I'm usually the quiet person, not because I'm shy or insecure, but simply because I talk when I find I have something useful to say, something that would make a person smile, something that would provoke thoughts.

From my observations, mostly at school (highschool), I've noticed the majority of the population love to gossip, laugh at others, talk about clothing and makeup, and moan and groan about waking up for school and complain about their daily lives. I cannot participate in these types of conversations. It's not because I find their conversations to be stupid, because obviously they get something out of it, and I respect them for that. However I can't picture myself dwelling on the surface and the tip of the iceburg day in and day out.

"I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world."

Good day to everyone!  :heart: :mushroom2: :sun: :crazy2:

--------------------
"Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by phEight (09/28/04 01:22 AM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Extrovert or Introvert? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3190544 - 09/28/04 05:32 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

www.Keirsey.com used to give PART of the Inventory. The MBTI is a copyrighted and professional tool that is sold only to licensed clinicians. College counseling centers usually administer it if you have such a connection.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Extrovert or Introvert? [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3191119 - 09/28/04 10:53 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
I am way too introverted to the point where I just space out and don't pay attention to things like I'm ADD or something. I think extroverts must feel alot more grounded and in tune with the world around them and less lost in their own minds.

:lol:

Actually, I don't feel too grounded at all.  I look at introverts and think that they seem more grounded.  I'm all over the place, mentally and physically. 

I also get lost in my mind.  My thoughts race at about 160 mph, and I can get stuck in my head.  Thank God for people, because it gets me out of my head when I get to talk to people. 

And I mostly don't pay attention to anything.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Extrovert or Introvert? [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3191518 - 09/28/04 01:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I am way too introverted to the point where I just space out and don't pay attention to things...

Inattention is unrelated to having a introverted personality.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3191691 - 09/28/04 01:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Definitely introverted, since as long as i can remember.
I can be very extroverted though when i'm with someone that i know very well.

I remember when i was around 4 or 5, i realized that i was actually thinking to myself, having conversations with myself in my mind, and i asked my little sister if she also had this "thing" or "person" that she talked to as well, that was in her mind. Because of course when you're young like that you think that it takes two for conversations to be made.

So ya, i'm a natural-born innie

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Extrovert or Introvert? [Re: Swami]
    #3194590 - 09/29/04 05:31 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

On the contrary my good Swami, Introverted Intuitives as opposed to Introverted Sensate types are dominated by awareness of 'inner' vs. 'outer' phenomenon. I have learned to balance the tendency somewhat, but my Lady who is more extremely IN than I am can sit next to a table where a new lamp has been placed, bright as day, where there was no lamp at all previously, and not notice it! Sensate types are far more attune to their immediate physical surroundings. As my Lady puts it, she can walk into a room and later have zero recall about what people were wearing, but she can come away with a fairly accurate (by comparison to my take) appraisal of different 'vibes,' or an 'intuition' of the general character of those individuals. Introverted Intuitives make better counselors than cops for example based on what we are primarily 'tuned in' to.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3194820 - 09/29/04 08:32 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I was once diagnosed with Aspergers Disorder so I guess that would make me a rather severe introvert.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Extrovert or Introvert? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3196782 - 09/29/04 06:02 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I have Asperger's, too.  :grin:  But I'm an extrovert!  I think that's because of the ADHD in me, or the type of ADHD I have. 

I have heard that Aspies are introverts, in general.  I don't know if that's because of the difficulties in picking up on social cues, so they avoid social situations altogether, or if there is truly a tendency in an Aspie to be introverted. 

I miss most social cues, but I don't really notice that I'm missing them when I'm missing them, so I just keep barreling head first into whatever situation I'm currently making a mess of.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3197796 - 09/29/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I am lacking in many basic social skills...I mean sure here on the internet I can write, but in person I am more like an obsessed robot. When I was a child I suffered from involuntary tics, jerks, and verbal noises. My lack of social skills is one of the reasons that I have delved deeply into many of the subjects that I have. I tend to get obsessive about collecting information and gaining an understanding of it from all possible angles. Astronomy, music (guitar, flute, violin, harp, synthesizer),archery, shamanism, survival, computer technology, and even ancient Norse culture and mythology (go figure on that one) have all been, or are, deep obsessions of mine. I follow these obsessions nearly to the exclusion of all else. It has nearly cost me my marriage on more than a few occasions. I don't really have any friends because I can, apparently, only be tolerated for short periods of time by others...and besides I don't really have the time for friends. Two of my children are showing these same types of behaviors, and they seem to be extreme introverts as well. I have been able to take advantage of this trait for obsession by obtaining a job in the IT industry where I can let my obsession for computers run wild to the benefit of my employer.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#3198415 - 09/30/04 12:15 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I am lacking in many basic social skills...I mean sure here on the internet I can write, but in person I am more like an obsessed robot.

Me, too.

Quote:

When I was a child I suffered from involuntary tics, jerks, and verbal noises.

These are signs of Asperger's.  I never realized that I rock myself until someone pointed it out to me.

Quote:

My lack of social skills is one of the reasons that I have delved deeply into many of the subjects that I have.

I must interject here that Asperger's is on the same continuum as ADHD, Autism, Bipolar, Schizophrenia.  This is not to say that someone who has Asperger's is crazy, but that all the disorders on this continuum are indicative of a person of high intelligence. 

Quote:

I tend to get obsessive about collecting information and gaining an understanding of it from all possible angles. Astronomy, music (guitar, flute, violin, harp, synthesizer),archery, shamanism, survival, computer technology, and even ancient Norse culture and mythology (go figure on that one) have all been, or are, deep obsessions of mine. I follow these obsessions nearly to the exclusion of all else. It has nearly cost me my marriage on more than a few occasions.

That is one of the symptoms of an Aspie is collecting information.  Drives everyone around them nuts. 

Quote:

I don't really have any friends because I can, apparently, only be tolerated for short periods of time by others...and besides I don't really have the time for friends.

A lot of people can't tolerate me, either.  :grin:  However, in my case, I can be very charming, as is the case for most Aspies, I think.  There are attorneys who stopped using me for their services because they couldn't tolerate me.  Aspies don't usually have volume control.  another :grin: .  I'm a loud and rambunctious Aspie. 

Quote:

Two of my children are showing these same types of behaviors, and they seem to be extreme introverts as well. I have been able to take advantage of this trait for obsession by obtaining a job in the IT industry where I can let my obsession for computers run wild to the benefit of my employer.

That's a good idea.  My Aspie traits (and my ADHD traits) work well for me in the legal arena.  I've heard that even though he was undiagnosed in his day, Einstein showed traits for both ADHD and Asperger's. 

I read once that Einstein, at about age 23 and living in New York City, sat on a curb one day and cried because he was lost. 

I get lost all the time.  I went to court today and had to go to the sheriff's department to speak with a person who was in custody, and I had to have a Spanish interpretor present.  She showed me the directions to get to the jail part of the area, but when we were leaving, she was deferring to me until she realized I didn't know how to find my way back, even though it wasn't that complicated. 

I hate looking stupid.  :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Extrovert or Introvert? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3198432 - 09/30/04 12:20 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I am a bonafide introvert and yet am acutely aware of things around me in great detail, so my anecdote negates your anecdote.

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #3198666 - 09/30/04 01:13 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm an introvert.

I guess I have a pretty flat/blunted affect. People around me say it's like talking to a wall. I _cannot_ make eye contact while conversing. Whenever I'm around people the rules for social interaction are almost visual to me. I can instantly tell how tense someone is. But I'm not very good at responding to said rules.

I think I'd get diagnosed as schizoid. It's not that I don't like people, it's just that I like not having them around more. I feel like most people are so eager to fit in with society that they totally destroy any chance they have of being unique.

I like those trait because I play cards for money and don't show emotions, but can tell what other people think pretty easily. So I end up winning a lot of money. I noticed quite a few (although not all by any stretch) people who were good poker players on TV seemed to have pretty blunted affect (Dan Harrington, Howard Lederer, Johnny Chan).

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3198871 - 09/30/04 03:11 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i'm an introverted extrovert.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #3200174 - 09/30/04 01:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"I am a bonafide introvert and yet am acutely aware of things around me in great detail..."

I'm the same way, Swam :smile:

It's more of a detatched observatory awareness. Not detached as in less aware, but as in viewing it from outside the inside of self (my introverted nature).

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Extrovert or Introvert? [Re: deff]
    #3200193 - 09/30/04 01:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thie whole categorization thing is silly anyway.

There are only two kinds of people in the world; those who categorize others and those who don't.

--------------------

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #3200221 - 09/30/04 02:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No there's three. Those who can count and those who can't.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3200225 - 09/30/04 02:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That is another thing. I can get lost like nobody's business, unless I have a map and compass. When I was in the Army we would be in the field in areas we had trained in on many occassions and I would forget my way, but with instruments like a map and a compass I was very good. I just relied solely on the accuracy of the map and I never went wrong. Without a map I have no innate sense of direction. I am an outdoorsman at certain times of the year, but I use a GPS in these situations. If my batteries went dead while in the forest I would just have to build a shelter and live there. I am too lazy for the compass and map these days. I like going primitive, but direction is one area where I am clueless.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3200239 - 09/30/04 02:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"Thie whole categorization thing is silly anyway."

You are generalizing instead of categorizing. You are aware that generalizations are all false aren't you?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3200249 - 09/30/04 02:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Try bread crumbs...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order