Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineElectricBoogaloo
A fun experiment
    #3183969 - 09/26/04 11:02 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

This was my very first grow, but that didn't stop me from doing some experimentation. :smile:

I grew 12 jars of GT: 10 using brown rice flower and two using brown rice.  One of the flour jars had to be tossed but the rest were golden.  Rather than try the cake method, I wanted to jump straight to casing.  Since I only had three casing containers, I wanted to play around with jar to casing ratio and see what happens.  In one casing container I crumbled one jar, in another I did 4, and in another I used 6 jars.  I cased with moss and vermiculite.

My casing with the single jar pinned very early (compared to the others -- still took 2 weeks to pin) and grew me around 120 grams wet (first flush):

While I was picking shrooms from my first flush on that casing, pins formed on my other two casings. 

Some shrooms are now ready for picking, but the interesting thing is that these shrooms are thick...about 4 times as thick as the shrooms from my other casing!

I have no idea what kind of weight to expect from these, but I just picked one and he came in at 31 grams wet.  In total, I wonder if I'll get 6 times the weight from the 6 jar casing, and 4 times the weight from my 4 jar casing...

Though this would interest some folks, plus I wanted to show more shroom pics.  :smirk:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCornelius
Heinous Anus
Male User Gallery

Loc: T.O.
Re: A fun experiment [Re: ElectricBoogaloo]
    #3184015 - 09/26/04 11:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

from what I've read, the thicker the substrate, the bigger the flush. I also think that a thicker casing layer contributes to a bigger shoom also, but I'm not sure...

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3184754 - 09/27/04 02:25 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It would seem to make some sense that a direct relativity between mycelium biomass (thus, number of jars used) and the yield volume (thus, weight) exists. Apparently you are well on your way to proving this! So perhaps it is not related to the thickness of a mycelium mat but the general volume (so, 6 jars worth in a large tray with a thin layer should nearly equal 6 jars worth in a small tray with a thick layer). Interesting!

It would seem a thicker layer (more biomass with a smaller surface area) would produce larger fruits, since there is less room for fruits to develop and all the 'energy' goes into making larger fruits. With a more spread out tray you would get more fruits but smaller, since the same amount of 'energy' is being expended but across more area and more individual fruits.

--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
    #3184875 - 09/27/04 03:01 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

keep us updated

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation