Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: DXM, Microscope, Shpongle

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
i'm emo.
    #3183483 - 09/26/04 08:29 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Hey, I really enjoy reading and was wondering if anyone has done it while tripping? Can you keep focus? Can you see the book like a movie? Any recomendations?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
tennis shoes
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nationwide Flag
Re: Reading? [Re: Testify]
    #3183557 - 09/26/04 09:05 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I've tried to read many a time while tripping but found it impossible. On 4 grams words were melting and everything looked strangely arabic. On 2.5 grams I simply lost focus and became bored. Give it a try though, you might be different.

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
Nihilist RiFF RaFF
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: Blackjack

Loc: BC Flag
    #3183883 - 09/26/04 10:37 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

i have found that i really have no interest in reading. Its just too superficial or something.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

dick butterfly
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Yawning Chasm
    #3184073 - 09/26/04 11:31 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

The letters look like alien writing and they melt and fly off the page. all while the book is breathing and melting.

fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #3184084 - 09/26/04 11:33 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

i couldn't do it.. it was hard to make out what i was reading. i also tried to control an iPod (to get shpongle playing hehe) and that was difficult too. i couldn't make out anything on the screen.

writing (and drawing), on the other hand, was fuckin awesome. i felt like i was writing a linking book from myst or something.. and the ink from my pen was glowing, or melting, it's hard to explain but it was great.

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

#3184108 - 09/26/04 11:36 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Sounds about like my exact experiences trying to read on a trip. Words just don't stay where they're supposed to be. But yeah, I highly recommend drawing or painting, it's a blast.

#3184274 - 09/27/04 12:10 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I recall peaking on G.T's and reading  the label on a bottle of EVIAN , the recycling message that says something to the effect of "CHECK TO SEE IF FACILITIES EXIST IN YOUR AREA"
I thought long and hard about that one :microwave:

"There is no I in ego death"

Myco Student
 User Gallery

#3184295 - 09/27/04 12:15 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

tryed once and could never do it

there issomething on myshoulder
Loc: upon the east
    #3184554 - 09/27/04 01:29 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

If you read Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe, all those dicriptions and elaborations are wonderful. astronauts flying through space. And oblects melding into one another. Read that to expand your mind.

So Im packing my bags for the mysty mountains where the spirits go.

Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3185168 - 09/27/04 05:26 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I like to read the pictures....! I have a collection of sci-fi artbooks with some wicked stuff in them.... I have an H.R. Giger artbook that kinda~ makes you feel "off" a bit after viewing his grotesque artwork while you are sober.... I am thinking that would not be a good choice while tripping...! On the other hand, I have a few cool books called "Magic Eye" 3D Illusions.... It was a fad back a few years.... The pictures you have diverge your eyes to make the scrambled pictures look 3D...! That is a fun brain toy while tripping....! This is a little different than reading, but they are books...! LoL

Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #3185454 - 09/27/04 08:49 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

well, it depends on the book, and the person, and how much of which drug, hehheh...
i have done it on occasion...
also have read aloud to fellow campers on occasion... (OMG i read james thurber story ("the lion who wanted to zoom") aloud once whilst camping & shrooming (i think it was shrooms) and had to leave the campfire in tears, i was laughing so hard...)
bob wilson has said that the only way to read _ulysses_ is tripping, heh...
tim leary's _psychedelic prayers_ (from the tao te ching) was written to be read (even read aloud) while tripping...
and alan watts' _the joyous cosmology_ can be an amazing read, lemme tell ya...
_world tales_ by idries shah (and his "nasruddin" stories collections) are excellent...
some visually lovely presentations of classic texts are available out there:
lao tzu's _tao te ching_
chuang tzu's _inner chapters_
buddha's _dhammapada_
hey, even some of those old "underground comics" were designed to be picked up & perused by trippin' hippies, dude... check out the art in "mothers oats comix" (mostly sheridan & schrier, from rip off press) - some of it is positively mind-blowing, if ya know-what-i-mean...
& picture books...
trippy art books... anything from monet & van gogh, to dali & escher, to kandinsky & klee, to venosa & grey...
and photography books --- photos of woodgrain, nature - clouds, flowing waters, trees & seas, telescopic pics of galaxies, microscopic pics of the very small, sattelite pics of earth or deepspace...
pop-up books & storybooks...
& as for poetry - whitman, snyder, poe, ginburg, sandburg, frost, dickinson, bly, sappho, shakespeare, tennyson, rilke - what floats your boat?

old enough to know better
not old enough to care

beyond reality

#3185483 - 09/27/04 09:19 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I once read the first part of a book on the comedown of an acid trip. It was "shadow of a dark queen", the first book of a very nice fantasy series by Raymond Feist. At first it was difficult to keep myself focussed on the book and to interpret the letters correctly, but after a while it went very well. From that point on it became very nice and vivid to read the story. The remaining effects of the acid really enhanced my imagination and turned it into a kind of movie in my mind! It was very cool. But i think, like the other posters, that this wouldn't be possible in the first half of a trip.

#3185785 - 09/27/04 12:03 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Great question, Ive always thought about this but never felt or thought of posting about it.

Ive only tried it once and noticed 3 problems that made me give up. I had a Scientific American magazine and was on some page that discussed galaxies, black holes, that kind of thing. I was very curious to see what would happen but when the time came I had difficulties concentrating, Im not sure if it tied in directly to memory loss or simply the inability to extract information coherently to keep in memory.

2nd, as with drugs like DXM it can become very difficult to see up close because you start to loose your eye muscle control (differs in ppl), I happen to be laying on my bed so the text was fairly close plus it was small so holding it out with my arms to read seemed too tedious and tiresome for me to bother with.

3rd, if the dose is strong enough and in this case it was you need more will power to concentrate on reading, it helps to have a goal before you have a trip so your not gonna tell yourself "mehh I WAS gonna read this but now I feel just like giggling, and its too hard to concentrate". If you really want to read the book convince yourself of that thoroughly so other distractions dont interfere as strong.

Also, I havent done it myself but I guess I could recommend buying a magnifying glass that can be used on a stand so the letters wont become so unreadable if their small. You could always read a book with big text ofcourse but what would be laying around other than mickey mouse pop up books. I guess if you have a scanner you could scan the pages and just make'em as big as you want on your comp screen too.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: DXM, Microscope, Shpongle

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience