Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenu2mycology
trying out pooh
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida USA
A shroom that grows bigger?
    #3182178 - 09/26/04 10:28 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I am currently growing shrooms from spores I got from the Keeper with my kit. They are what he calls the Z strain. they seem to be very potent! But I am looking for a shroom that is just bigger. More of a Commercial strain.
Anyone have any good ideas of the strain I am seeking?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
Re: A shroom that grows bigger? [Re: nu2mycology]
    #3182180 - 09/26/04 10:29 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

try using bulk substrates
for bigger shrooms

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A shroom that grows bigger? [Re: muse_sick]
    #3182301 - 09/26/04 11:31 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Dude are you kidding me? Z's are huge..

Sorry I dont have more pics but I havn't worked with them enough (put them on hold to try out GT's and Cambodians a bunch). I've done about 6 Z casings and the first three flushes together between all 4 after a month was up ended me with over 13 ounces. Since then they have produces a few more flushes (between 7 and 14 grams each) and still are producing and are on flushs 6 and 7 (two are on 7) now (just pinning a few days ago). The shrooms get up and over 2 grams easily..My biggest so far is 35.2 grams wet (bout an eigth dry) but these were very thick and meaty shrooms compared to some others I've worked with.

And your right, they are very potent!

edit:
oh yeah dont buy from that ripoff artist anymore he way over charges

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (09/26/04 11:32 AM)

Offlinenu2mycology
trying out pooh
 User Gallery

Re: A shroom that grows bigger? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3182307 - 09/26/04 11:35 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I guess that I just need to learn a casing tek. I am growing strainght from the cakes in a large bin with moist perlite on the bottom. Do ya think using a casing tek. will make mine bigger?

--------------------
The author of this lies more than the government and you should not believe anything he writes!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3182354 - 09/26/04 12:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Casing will make them slightly bigger I'd imagine (definatly a better yeild if not bigger shrooms) but I also use Rye not PF substrate. Also thicker substrate in casings gives bigger shrooms. Like 1 1/2 inches of mycelium is good. Hard to fill all that space with cakes so use Rye. Look for Magash's rye tek, a post entitled "Rye" by him. Should be on the first few pages..thats what I followed for them shrooms. They were part of the first casings I ever made (and I didnt start with cakes, right to casings so my first grow period). I want to get back to them again when I get some room from all these GT's and Cambodians and see if I can make them work for me even more now that I've gotten the whole casing thing down a bit better..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinenu2mycology
trying out pooh
 User Gallery

#3182389 - 09/26/04 12:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you scatmanrav for the tips!
I am going to start searching for any info on rye I can find. I think I should graduate to casing. Not having any troubles doing it how I have been, but there has to be a way to get a better yield! from 9 cakes I have gotten a mere ounce dried. they are still fruiting, but I am seeing what everyone else is producing, and know that I am not optimised for yield.

--------------------
The author of this lies more than the government and you should not believe anything he writes!

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #3182439 - 09/26/04 12:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If you want big shrooms and big yields, you need manure/straw and big casings. I would advise you to move away from PF recipes and strait grain casings and start with bulk substrates...

Make your casings deep, but less than 10 inches. I have always found 6-8 inches deep to be perfect. Be sure to apply an ample casing layer on a deep casing. When you make them deep and big, they can flush for a long, long time...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3182448 - 09/26/04 12:38 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

scatmanrav, you went by every step mentioned by Magash's Rye Tek?

I'm trying to get into bulk substrates after 1 pf-tek grow and need an efficient/accurate way of going about this.

what are the best mushrooms to grow with bulk teks? I'm currently doing creeper and golden teacher with pf-tek.

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
Re: A shroom that grows bigger? [Re: ATWAR]
    #3182540 - 09/26/04 01:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

At- do you ever have problems with Trich????

--------------------
'I'm the commander see, I don't need to explain, I do not need to
explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something,
but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation.'
- George W. Bush

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: A shroom that grows bigger? [Re: qwon]
    #3182565 - 09/26/04 01:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

qwon said:
At- do you ever have problems with Trich????

Yes. I have had the occasional infestation of the green meanies. Although, it is far less a problem for me when growing Ps. cubensis when compared with other species. Contamination is not much of a problem for me these days...

Be clean, minimize exposure and other vectors...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3182599 - 09/26/04 01:24 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yep pretty much exactly Ive adjusted slightly (dont soak each cup in there own jars..all soaked and simmered in my PC (lid off, just use as a big pot). And I dry with paper towels to get it done quiker. Little things like that that work for me but you should follow exact. If you want real big ones (over an eigth per mushy) then you are gonna have to go with straw/dung but I use rye cause I find it produces quite nice size shrooms (between 1 and 3 grams easily and frequently) and nice size flushes nd is easy to work with. I'm finding straw to be a big pain in my ass..

--------------------

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3182603 - 09/26/04 01:25 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

what are trichomes?

I'm having a hard time with these shroom words.. is there a shroom dictionary on this site? Sorry for the consistent posts of non-stop questions on every thread, but I need to learn somehow and these are not in the FAQ's.

thanks for everyones help and patience while a newbie learns.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A shroom that grows bigger? [Re: gloom]
    #3182613 - 09/26/04 01:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Not trichomes thats something totally different (cannabis) We're talking Trichoderma.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3182617 - 09/26/04 01:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

trich is short for the scientific name for green mold. One of the molds that is green anyway. The most common killer of shrooms and jars..

--------------------

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3182618 - 09/26/04 01:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Yep pretty much exactly Ive adjusted slightly (dont soak each cup in there own jars..all soaked and simmered in my PC (lid off, just use as a big pot). And I dry with paper towels to get it done quiker. Little things like that that work for me but you should follow exact. If you want real big ones (over an eigth per mushy) then you are gonna have to go with straw/dung but I use rye cause I find it produces quite nice size shrooms (between 1 and 3 grams easily and frequently) and nice size flushes nd is easy to work with. I'm finding straw to be a big pain in my ass..

are you having a trouble with the straw due to the size and handling of it? if so, or if not, I have an idea, would it work to grind up straw in a blender and mix it with the dung? I haven't came across a good bulk substrate tek using dung/straw yet so I don't know how this process works

Edited by gloom (09/26/04 01:33 PM)

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3182622 - 09/26/04 01:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
trich is short for the scientific name for green mold. One of the molds that is green anyway. The most common killer of shrooms and jars..

And casings mainly!!! TY for filling in the gap scatmanrav! :wink:

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3182624 - 09/26/04 01:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Oh sorry about that, I've been getting shrooms/pot mixed up, I've recently been in process of growing flying dutchmen thai so I've been on a cannabis board asking alot of questions too. sorry for the mix-up and thanks for clearing that up!

Edited by gloom (09/26/04 01:32 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3182647 - 09/26/04 01:37 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Size, handling, the fact that straw peices fall off the bail sitting in my kitchen if I look at it wrong. The fact that I live up 3 flights of stairs in an apartment in the middle of a small town (expalin why you need bales of straw every week in an apartment). Not to mention I grow large and use alot of substrate so I need to pasturize alot of substrate at once. Even leaving it whole pasturizing is a bitch..heating up enough straw at a time to make it worth it in an apartment (no garage or outside work area at all) is difficult and then theres the long draining process if you use alot it can take days and where do you keep large bags of dripping straw for even a day? I don't really want to shower with it or leave it over my kitchen sink. Then theres concealment, my grow is completly hidden from everyone who comes over (all contained in closets) but its hard to find a place to hide a whole bale of straw...It's just a pin in my situation. I can easily use/hide/sterilize rye. Drains easy and quick..I can easily do enough Rye in a day to put out many many pounds of mushies..no shit falling everywhere (easily vaccumed) and everything is easily hidden (bag of rye and pressure cooker). Plus Rye lasts for many flushes where straw after two is kinda kaputz (unless you use poo too but the whole apartment thing and needing poo now too? and smell of pasturizing and hiding a bag of shit along with straw somewhere?)

Someday when I have a house. WIth a garage. A nice big one. Then I'll do "bulk" but for now..rye owns me :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblenoxy
Dr
 User Gallery

Loc: its more a time, not a pl...
    #3182666 - 09/26/04 01:42 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

scatmanrav what do you think of the Cambodian strain ?

how potent? fast growing?

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A shroom that grows bigger? [Re: noxy]
    #3183171 - 09/26/04 04:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

noxy said:
scatmanrav  what do you think of the Cambodian strain ?

how potent? fast growing?

i'm not scatmanrav  but kramer says he likes them a lot! :thumbup:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals