Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineimafungi
Stranger
Contaminated rice cakes
    #3182633 - 09/26/04 03:34 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

can i use contaminated rice cakes to start an outdoor bed?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: Contaminated rice cakes [Re: imafungi]
    #3185033 - 09/27/04 03:59 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yes. This is a popular usage rather than tossing them.

--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Contaminated rice cakes [Re: Spudz76]
    #3185038 - 09/27/04 04:04 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:laugh: of course you can. that's what got me started on my outdoor grow, contaminated cakes. i had someone suggest that i start "that outdoor grow i've always wanted to do"... try it man. it can't hurt you to try something new...

also, you can use spent cakes and spent casings in the same way.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlineimafungi
Stranger
Re: Contaminated rice cakes [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3206527 - 10/02/04 01:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

how long before i start seeing shrooms outdoors? How much longer do i have before it gets to cold? will the patch grow again in the spring?

OfflineLeukoism
Dark Canopy View

Re: Contaminated rice cakes [Re: imafungi]
    #3206549 - 10/02/04 01:23 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The spores will always be there, and if the myc had grown a little it will still be there too. It will grow when it has the right conditions outside, its kinda spontaneous. But it all depends were you live and what your weather is like.

--------------------
May it have been the one that you are no longer aware, but now it has become a reality.

-----Enter the craze untill you have seen!-----

--------------------------

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Contaminated rice cakes [Re: Leukoism]
    #3206644 - 10/02/04 02:06 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

This seems extremely odd to me.

If the main reason of tossing contaminated cakes is because the contamination could potentially harm you (and because you don't want it to spread) then why is it safe to use them outdoors? Indoors, were you to make a terrarium just for contaminated cakes to fruit you'd probably be told that it was extremely unsafe, so why is outdoors ok?

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

OfflineLeukoism
Dark Canopy View

Re: Contaminated rice cakes [Re: MycoCat]
    #3206654 - 10/02/04 02:09 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I guess when they are placed outdoors somtimes the contams die or somthing like that. Nature is a mysyrious creature.

How is it that wild mushrooms can grow outside, there is much more contams out there but somhow they still are able to do it.

--------------------
May it have been the one that you are no longer aware, but now it has become a reality.

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

#3206674 - 10/02/04 02:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well the earth is an extremely large place, so the law of averages dictates how a mushroom can survive contamination with the millions of areas it has to potentially grow.

Having contaminated cakes grow outside seems to point to the issue of contamination indoors being incorrectly perceived. If it is possible to do outdoors, then why can't it be done indoors?

--------------------

Meow.

OfflineLeukoism
Dark Canopy View

#3206693 - 10/02/04 02:28 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe outdoors there is certin things that cant be done indoors. I dont know what they are but I know contamd cakes can grow outdoors and the mushrooms growing from them are usually not contamd. Not every cake will survive but it has been done and is possible. You can try doing it indoors but with all that extra contam sitting around it couldnt be good for your health.

And maybe it can be done indoors but nobody wants to leave them in their house I guess.

--------------------

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

#3206708 - 10/02/04 02:35 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not asking this because of some personal mission of mine to someday cultivate contamination indoors, I'm just saying it doesn't make sense.

The argument for throwing contaminated cakes is usually the health risk involved; even if the mushrooms appear to be healthy or are on the other side of the cake from the contamination it is still recommended that they be tossed because of the potential risk. But if outdoors the mushrooms can be consumed, then this argument is less valid. Unless the contamination magically disappears (or is overtaken by the healthier mycelium, but this still doesn't mean the contamination is completely gone) I don't see why the potential health risk is no longer there.

So this makes me think that the argument for having contaminated cakes indoors is incorrect in some way.

--------------------

Meow.

OfflineLeukoism
Dark Canopy View

#3206730 - 10/02/04 02:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

well you have a point. I dont have enough info to help you but I would just steer clear of any contam infested cakes, not matter if they might be safe or not. Its not worth the risk.

Bring up a new post on this you might get some good answers from sombody in the forum.

--------------------

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

#3206742 - 10/02/04 02:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I wasn't specifically asking you, Leukoism, I was just posting the question to the thread.

And I agree with steering clear of cakes with contamination, luckily I don't have to deal with that at the moment. But thanks for your thoughts.

More input, anyone?

--------------------

Meow.

OfflineTweet420
Stranger

#3206762 - 10/02/04 02:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I hate contamination. Pink, Green, Grey and Black. Makes me sick; makes me yak. My mind recoils in horror and i have terrible nightmares about it. i have lost half my jars (this round) because of it.

i dont know much, but i have been experimenting... i will post results as soon as possible... my experiments include, but are not limited to... killing the contam w/ everclear before it matures; this actually seems to work, but is probably unhealthy in the long run... ive tried cutting off the contam early in combo w/ the everclear technique or cutting off the contam and then crushing up and casing the rest....... all and all its just f*ckt... my only good advice at this point is throw it away as soon as possibe, or you too could end up with 1/2 your jars :[ ... oh yeah... relevance/pertinence ..... my outdoor cakes never seem to work... but i agree with Mycocat.... nature has its own built in asswipe and in a lab there is no where for it to go but deeper into your substrate... outside it can disperse...... dont you notice that... even though cobweb can take over quickly... it always seems like the mushrooms are stronger than the contam??? i guess i dont really know

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation