Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSugarcult
n()()bie

Alternative to the PMP
    #3182362 - 09/26/04 02:04 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Ive been cultivating out of grow bags for a while now and would really like to start using cakes. I am in need of a system with the ease of use and manageability of the poor man's pod. My only problem is im an in-the-closet cultivator and the fish tank bubbler would produce a noticeable noise. Right now, all of my bags grow in a sealed compartment under my bed which is only accesible by lifting up my mattress and then removing a plywood frame piece. The whole area underneath my bed is about 14" high, 5' wide and 7' long. So i would have enough room for a pmp, but ive got that damn problem with the noise. So im looking for something self-contained and silent but effective. I remember seeing a little setup with a restaurant display dish thing, looked kinda like a cloche, but I cant find it again  :smirk: Anyways, if you guys have any suggestions, please let me know.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Alternative to the PMP [Re: Sugarcult]
    #3182396 - 09/26/04 02:19 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You should just case the grow bags. Moving to cakes is a step backwords.

To cover the noise you could get something else in your room to run,a HEPA or something for a "smoke cleaner" or a "health thing" which would cover it. Also putting the pump in a box/pillowcase filled with polyfil would not only muffle the noise but pull all the air in through a bunch of polyfil which would filter it quite well.

Perilite is really the only silent form of cultivation but you'd still need to fan 3-6 times a day and give them light.

Other forms of humidification are humidifiers. Cool mist's are great and provide air exchange and humidity and are kind of like a step up from the PMP but they produce even more noise and are harder to mask. An ultrasonic won't produce much noise at all (you could hear it if it was really quiet an on like a trickling water sound but being under a bed may be enough to muffle it. In my closet I can't hear it (can hear the cool mist though). Problem with ultrasonic is it'd not for air exchange and you'd still have to do that. You'd also need a timer for the ultrasonic becuase it can't be left running for 24 hours a day. Mine goes on every 30 minutes for 30 minutes (then off for the same) but about 15 minutes every hour or less should suffice you (I have a really big closet). Still have to fan 3-6 times a day and pump the mist into the chamber.

For air exchange using Perilite or ultrasonic you could, if your handy, hook up a computer fan into the side of the bin (towards the bottom, casng level I'd say since CO2 sinks) and have it turn on to blow all the air out every few hours (every 2 would be good). A small fan could be run for 5 minutes every 2 hours and wouldnt be so loud. Bigger fans are loud though so be prepared for that too..

Hope these helped.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinekraj
Stranger
    #3182431 - 09/26/04 02:33 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I bought a 12 dollar "silent" pump and it produces NO noise at all(ie. i can sit next to it and not hear it and its about 85% rh). Check the petstores, i'll try to figure out a brand but there shouldn't be any reason why a PMP isn't an option.

OfflineSugarcult
n()()bie

Re: Alternative to the PMP [Re: kraj]
    #3182487 - 09/26/04 02:51 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you both for the awesome ideas.

I would really like to use a pmp, so if you could find out the exact pump you have, that would be outstanding.

Mad props to scatman and kraj. :thumbup:

Offlinekraj
Stranger
    #3182593 - 09/26/04 03:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well the pump i'm using is by "ToM Aquarium Products" and it's call the Stellar S-10. I have a really small grow chamber based on concealment and such, and i use a single 10" bubble wand. They also sell an S-20 and S-30 for 15 and 19 dollars respectively if you have a bigger grow chamber.

It seems to be sufficient in getting the humidity up, once i get my spores and get some cakes up and running in it. I'll let ya know how it does.

Happy growing!

OfflineSugarcult
n()()bie

Re: Alternative to the PMP [Re: kraj]
    #3182720 - 09/26/04 03:57 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks alot kraj. I'll be ordering one shortly. Just out of curiosity tho, can u hear the bubbles from the airstones at all?

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3182884 - 09/26/04 04:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.aquatichouse.com/Pumps_files/stellarpumps.asp

Check that out. Very cheap!!! $7.

I have one question about it, what's different between single and dual? what do you use, and what do you prefer?

OfflineSugarcult
n()()bie

Re: Alternative to the PMP [Re: gloom]
    #3182910 - 09/26/04 04:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Good find gloom :thumbup:
The dual pumps are only on the 40 and 60 gallon pumps. They just offer more output than the single output ones and are therefore used on bigger aquariums. Magash uses a dual on his setup so im kind of inclined to get a dual too, most likely the S-40.
Thanks for your input.

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3183147 - 09/26/04 06:11 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i can only hear the bubbling when i open the lid of the pmp and i have a silent pump that makes no noise if place it on a rubber mat or a cloth.

OfflineSugarcult
n()()bie

Re: Alternative to the PMP [Re: zerozero]
    #3183251 - 09/26/04 06:51 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

what is the name of the pump you use?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation