Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Chloride, Dehydrator, Dessicant, Pressure Cooker, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinevictimlesstribe
Wanderer
 User Gallery

drying question
    #3182294 - 09/26/04 01:27 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

when drying under a ceiling fan on a paper towel does potency loss occur?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenu2mycology
trying out pooh
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida USA
Re: drying question [Re: victimlesstribe]
    #3182319 - 09/26/04 01:42 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

I am told that they DO in fact lose some potenct when fan drying.
My understanding is that calcium chloride is the best method to dry them.

--------------------
The author of this lies more than the government and you should not believe anything he writes!

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #3182320 - 09/26/04 01:42 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

in general, i'ts impossible to dry withoutsome potency loss.
Psilocin, in particular, breaks down just cause.

However, gentle handling and good temperatures will minimize that loss.

Look into damprid or dririte for a second step.....fast drying is k3y to maintaining potency.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Re: drying question [Re: nu2mycology]
    #3182323 - 09/26/04 01:43 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

24 hours air drying, 24 hours in a dessicant chamber is the fastest, most efficient way i've found.

Calcium Chloride doesn't deal to well with ALL the moisture in shrooms.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Offlinevictimlesstribe
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: drying question [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #3182361 - 09/26/04 02:03 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

is air drying with a ceiling fan while on the floor enough fanning?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3182365 - 09/26/04 02:06 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Fan drying will cause the least loss of potency, desiccant will cause minimal loss too. If you use heat..causes more of a loss but you still can't tell so it doesn't matter anyway. Low heat I'm takling here, like 100-130 degrees. No loss of potency CAN BE TOLD. Yeah of course somes always breaking down but dosing the same gives the same effects after being desiccated using heat from dehydrators.

But feel free to fan and desiccant your shrooms dry if your only doing a small amount..I just can't do it any other way then using heat to dry them quick enough..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

#3182378 - 09/26/04 02:11 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

ideally you'd have a small fan that they sit right next to, but as long as there's air circulation, it should be good.

Scatman: I abhor heat.  Nothing in the chemical world likes heat at all.

Anytime i've applied heat, even low, to shrooms, they buise like all hell.

Besides, air n dessicant drying do work on larger amounts, you just have to scale accordingly.

70L tubs with 10 lbs of dessicant spread between 4-5 levels does the trick nicely. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3182399 - 09/26/04 02:20 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Randolph Carter said:
24 hours air drying, 24 hours in a dessicant chamber is the fastest, most efficient way i've found.

Calcium Chloride doesn't deal to well with ALL the moisture in shrooms.

I agree the faster the better without using heat psilocin as said loses it's edge as an active when heat is applied and that alone may change the "feel" of the experience. I don't compromise anything or anybody!

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3182415 - 09/26/04 02:27 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

I am using a food dehydrator to dry out mine(was recommended by a big, big shroom grower in my town) I have not used mine though, and I may clip the heating supply that's "default" with it if the temperature raises above 95 degreez. what do you guys think about using this method? maybe NO potency loss what-so-ever?

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
Re: drying question [Re: gloom]
    #3182422 - 09/26/04 02:29 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

actually, I will be clipping the cord to the heat. I'll let you know in a month and a half or so and tell you how this goes.

first time grower here.

-gloom

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3182451 - 09/26/04 02:39 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Never had problems with excess bruising really..thinner shrooms do but it was ok.

Air and desiccant drying could work however they take up more space then my two dehydrators (which do about a half pound in 24 hours) that sit in my closet next to my incubators. Then go into a large rubbermaid next to my other incubator (on the shelve above) with either Epsoms Salt (now) or Damp Rid (before) spread out in the bottom (a good amount) to keep them dry and finish drying out any (sometimes they crunch after 24 hours but they still don't feel 100% dry). This takes up very little room and still leaves room for me to store my pressure cookers and jars and such in the closet. All of my operation is contained in 3 locked closets. Anyone who comes over doesn't know and can be in any room in the house without knowing (unless I'm actually working on PCing or something sthen people don't come over).

If I was to set up something like this I would need a fan box. It would have to be big enough to spread out all the wet shrooms, at around 3-5 pounds of wet mushrooms per day (and currently in the middle of making my setup bigger so probably a few more soon to around 6-8 fresh pounds a day) your looking at a big box. And a complicated setup to build racks that make it easy to get to the bottom ones if you were to make a multi layer fan box. Then after 24 hours they still wouldnt be ready and would need to go into a new box for desiccant. Again a complicated build to make a multi layer dry box that would make it easy to get to the bottom layers and still be big enough to hold the half dry shrooms (probably down to only 2 pounds or so by now but still).

That would also require using a rather large amount of desiccant at the bottom of the dry box (to absorb the other pound/pound and a half of water) and would need to not only recharge it often (probably every time) but replace it often so it would continue working well (more money). Heat is free...quick...contained..silent (as of now the incubation closet is silent and is in a main room and needs to stay that way..adding a fan would be noise)..the racks come put together and easy to handle (8 racks on each one). I tried the desiccant thing and the fan drying thing and then switched to dehydrator. Possibly more bruising but beyond that no one noticed. Potency hasnt changed as far as I or anyone who has given me feed back (dozens) has noted a difference from when I did them without heat as opposed to heat.

I relize the chemical reactions speed up with heat but I've found that this amount of heat is fine (not to mention my prefered way of consuption is tea which heats them up slightly and I have noticed no potency loss if shrooms are consumed with the tead) as far as everyone is concerned. If you measured something will it have gone down a bit more, probably. But when it comes down to it, they plenty potent enough..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3182474 - 09/26/04 02:46 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

scatmanrav, do you use regular food dehydrators? I use the RONCO 5, 5 tray dehydrator. can I use the heat, or would I need to clip the cord to the heat?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Chloride, Dehydrator, Dessicant, Pressure Cooker, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation