Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Melatonin, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Plants VS Humans
    #3182091 - 09/26/04 11:26 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

In your opinion, do you believe plants have chemicals that fit human receptors because:

A) They evolved these chemicals to deter humans and other animals from eating them

B) It's a random occurrence

C) Plants are a gift from (insert deity here)

D) Other (Explain)

And why?

Im curious to see everyone's stance on this.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
Re: Plants VS Humans [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3182148 - 09/26/04 12:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Cue Terrance McKenna quotes.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3182182 - 09/26/04 12:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

In your opinion, do you believe plants have chemicals that fit human receptors because:
A) They evolved these chemicals to deter humans and other animals from eating them

are you starting to imagine that there is intent behind evolution?
there really is no intent behind evolution.

Quote:

close
-initially all mutations are random, but those that do not kill the life form may get carried forward in future generations
I give an a+ to species that go psychoactive, but that is irrelevant (ehh?)

Quote:

C) Plants are a gift from (the last effective superconsciousness)

what isn't?
so many blessings to be appreciated...

Quote:

D) Other (Explain)

reindeer like the effect - we know that because they lick up the piss from mushroom eating buddies to get a bit of the effect. so the addition of psychoactives does not deter all creatures from consumption, but consumption of the shroom is not bad, the spores get spread all over in faeces by the animal.

but this is all mixed up anyway since the appearance of features in the plant and animal world is the result of non-lethal random mutation

Quote:

And why?

Well I can tell you why I think this way - it is because I understand evolution on the one hand, and the way mutation is part of it.

millions of mutations occur, some are survived, and some of the survivors bear children, and in that way the surviving children provide the opportunity for an evolving base for future generations.

those that are not fit to survive die. if they never breed the mutation was not successful either.

but the psychoactive aspect may always have been there - we don't know, maybe everything was psychoactive and nothing worked until many plants lost the feature.
just kidding.

it relates to breading and survival, but all the mutations are random.

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Plants VS Humans [Re: TheHateCamel]
    #3182197 - 09/26/04 12:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

And Whats wrong with Terence Mckenna anyways?

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Plants VS Humans [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3182213 - 09/26/04 12:42 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

are you starting to imagine that there is intent behind evolution?
there really is no intent behind evolution.

Without intent, there is no purpose, without purpose, there is no reason.If there is not intent of evolution there would be no evolution.There wouldnt be a need for it.

Quote:

I dont believe anything is random.I believe it's a lazy excuse to not find the reason or driving force behind something.Everything has purpose.

Quote:

reindeer like the effect - we know that because they lick up the piss from mushroom eating buddies to get a bit of the effect. so the addition of psychoactives does not deter all creatures from consumption, but consumption of the shroom is not bad, the spores get spread all over in faeces by the animal.

but this is all mixed up anyway since the appearance of features in the plant and animal world is the result of non-lethal random mutation

Some psychedelic plants deter some animals.For example I doubt small animals would eat hallucinogenic mushrooms.It would be too much for them.Lsrger animals have much less of an experience at the same dose.

There certainly are lethal pseychedelic plants and all psychedelics can be toxic/fatal.

However if it was random, there would again be no purpose.If it was mere randomness without reason why did it evolve to be psychedelic in the first place?

I believe all things have reason,intent and purpose.I find it extremely hard to believe anything is random or doesnt have a purpose.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3182221 - 09/26/04 12:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

D) Other

I think we tend to forget how much DNA is shared by all species on Earth...and then find it surprising that similar chemicals will exist in separate species :wink:

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Plants VS Humans [Re: trendal]
    #3182239 - 09/26/04 12:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It is interesting to note that some plants contain serotonin, a neurotransmitter involved in sleep and depression and memory and etc.

Also plants contain morphine and other brain/body chemicals and one has to wonder how this affects any of the plants processes,cycles and functions if at all.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

#3182247 - 09/26/04 01:04 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Half our genes are shared with the common banana, is it any wonder that bananas produce tryptamine, an essential precursor to serotonin?

--------------------

InvisibleTheHateCamel
    #3182249 - 09/26/04 01:06 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't say anything was wrong with Terrance McKenna, what he wrote is interesting, total mad man. :thumbup:

Why would you interperate what I said as derogatory?

Anyway, you aren't going to find out the reason here or through debate because no one knows know and the plants aren't talking.

InvisibleTheHateCamel
    #3182254 - 09/26/04 01:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Even stranger is that 75% of our genes are shared with the uncommon banana. And 99.someodd% with chimps.

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3182262 - 09/26/04 01:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

But if its random why not DMT?Why not fatal chemicals?Why not adrenalin,epinephrine,norepinephrine or melatonin?It seems more as if the large majority of plants contain chemicals that aid humans in some minor or major way.

THe majority of plants are edible and very very few percentage wise are harmful to humans.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

#3182267 - 09/26/04 01:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

THe majority of plants are edible and very very few percentage wise are harmful to humans.

Are you quite certain about that? I'm willing to bet that most plants are either harmful in some way to humans (if consumed) or do not offer any nutrition or advantage.

I also certainly don't think that "its random" :wink:

--------------------

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3182270 - 09/26/04 01:16 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Why would you interperate what I said as derogatory?

Because the majority of the time when I bring up terence Mckenna to anyone they gripe and complain and have negative opinions about Mckenna.

His lectures had very important issues discussed and alot of insight.He also paved the way for Hallucinogenic Mushroom cultivation and the openness of drugs today.

Quote:

Anyway, you aren't going to find out the reason here or through debate because no one knows know and the plants aren't talking.

I know.But I like to see where people stand and throw about a few ideas.

--------------------

InvisibleTheHateCamel
    #3182277 - 09/26/04 01:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Cyanogenic glycosides are substances present in many plants that can produce highly toxic hydrogen cyanide or prussic acid. Specific plant enzymes released when plant cells are damaged when chewed, crushed, wilted, or frozen, hydrolyze the glycosides to cyanide. At least 2000 plant species are known to contain cyanogenic glycosides with the potential to produce HCN poisoning.

Tons of plants can cause Nitrate poisoning.

Poison Ivy.

It never ends, plants are out to get us.

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3182279 - 09/26/04 01:21 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

There are many times more edible species than humans consume or will ever consume.Most plants are either nutritious or medicinal on some level.Dosage is the key to it all.Its like botox.A very powerful toxin that will kill you if not controlled but in tiny doses is has very nice cosmetic and rehabilitive applications.(Yes I know botox is bacteria.) Similar concept however.Japanese have found scorpion poison to have health effects in small doses as well.I feel that if we study poisons we will find powerful medicines under the right applications and doses.

--------------------

InvisibleTheHateCamel
    #3182282 - 09/26/04 01:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

We already have a million times.

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3182292 - 09/26/04 01:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Even after 250 years or more of cataloguing the plant kingdom we do not yet have a reasonably accurate estimate of the total number of plant species, threatened or not We just do not know how large the world?s flora is.We do not even have a list of plant species.

Numbers given range from about 200,000 to 500,000.

Even 2,000 out of 200,000 species is merely one percent.A tiny fraction of a population.

BTW Apples,cherries and other fruits contain cyanide.

--------------------

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3182297 - 09/26/04 01:28 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Science largely ignores medicinal testing of known poisons.Rather than finding a low level dosage that is beneficial they try high or medium level doses dub it poisonous and they leave it be.Alot of poisons hane little to no testing at all.

--------------------

Offlinefrogger25
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: east coast
    #3182330 - 09/26/04 01:46 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

there is some interesting research currently going on. hopefully when i get my degree in botany i can help contribute to this

http://www.btinternet.com/~nlpwessex/Documents/quantumbiology.htm

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3182368 - 09/26/04 02:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Half our genes are shared with the common banana...

I had a long, protracted battle with a banana and got the other half of my genes back.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Melatonin, Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology