Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblegloom
journeyman
Am I doing this right..
    #3181735 - 09/26/04 01:42 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Questions in red have been cleared up, please answer the ones in black font. I do not need to read the FAQ's as I have already read them and want to know what YOU recommend, and if it's something that would be in the FAQ, most likely I still did not understand it so would like for you to rephrase it in "newbie" terms.

Thank you so much.

first off, I'm going by this pf tek

http://www.mycotopia.net/site/article.php?11.255

second, I have all of my supplies I believe

23 QT pressure cooker
food dehydrator - Question: can I dry the shrooms in this with heat(or will this kill the psyci...whatever) or do I need to clip the cord to the heater unit?
12 half-pint jars - I got these for !!$30!!. is there a place I can get these for cheaper?
perlite(grow rocks)
foil
outlet appliance timers - Question: do I need these? 2 were on sale for the price of 1 and it's what people use to turn on lamps in the middle of the night for security purposes. basically there is a time for it to turn on and off. I can set it to turn on for 5 minutes only automatically if that is what's needed.
bottled water
rubbermaid storage bin
and a circular growing light with a screw-in light bulb which I am unsure of the wattage, but I am going to pickup a new one tomorrow and can buy the preferred wattage bulb.

lastly, the things that I need cleared up

what are spore prints?

can shrooms be cloned? (if so, is there a FAQ on this? sorry I didn't search.)

what are worm casings? are they dried up skin shedded from a worm that helps you grow?

step 18. inject 1 cc. from the spore syringe into each jar, splitting it evenly between the 4 holes. - OK, so I'm only supposed to put 1/4 of a ml in each hole? from this it makes me think if they realized that it doesnt matter how many spores you put in, either 1/4 of a ml, or 2ml's, it will still grow the same ammount. am I on the right track here??

from my understanding, you keep it dark 4 2 weeks for the mycellium to grow, and at this point this is when you stick it in the incubator, now, I'm thinking of doing the tub-in-tub method, putting something on bottom to hold bucket above the water heater, automatic shutoff at 70 degrees, placing blanket over jars to keep warmth in, the whole 9 yards you could say. now, do you feel this is needed? my room stays above 70 degrees always. I'm just wanting the best outcome. what do you personally recommend?

is there something I am not getting here?? when you take the cakes out of the jars and place em on the foil over the perlite in the bin, isnt there huge chance of contamination at this time? everything will be clean but I wouldn't trust the air to be contaminant-free.

should I cold shock my cakes? does it get better results or should I only do it if I don't notice pins?

can I dunk my cakes when all of the mycellium is grown and pins are forming for the first flush? - I know you can do this, leave it in 12 hours but if you do it 24 hours you will kill the pins, but it was not clear if it was on the first flush, I want it on the first flush so my babies can grow big

also, if you would like to recreate a step in the article. I would appreciate it SO much!!! your input is very welcome here as I GREATLY need it. I'm a first time grower so please don't come at me with words I don't know(but please mention them so I may expand my shroom vocabulary). it already took me a few days to figure out that tek is another way of saying technique.

what do these words mean: inoculation?

there's one more than that I can't think of, it's something that some do after your shrooms are done growing. I read it on another post, I am uncertain at this time!

I know there's alot of questions, and some may be completely random and unheard of but I also know that there are no "Stupid questions" when it comes to shroom growing. All replies that are helpful will be much appreciated, and you will be a God(or Goddess) in my book.

-gloom

Edited by gloom (09/26/04 02:31 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

Re: Am I doing this right.. [Re: gloom]
    #3181758 - 09/26/04 01:52 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

read the FAQ, and oh yeah, welcome to the shroomery!!
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3172

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3181767 - 09/26/04 01:56 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks, and I've read all of that but still need those things cleared up and I'll be growing..

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #3181778 - 09/26/04 02:07 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ok....i'll try and taclkle this one....

Pint jars:  Do a web search for canning/preserve jars, you'll find em much cheaper.  Tthey're easily availible by the dozen for well under 10 bucks, generally at hardware stores.

As far as the tuimers, i can't say as to where you need them for the setuo you're looking at.
Food dehydratotr:  depends on the heat.....low, low heat (~90 degrees F) is acceptable.

ONto the bulk of the post....

Spore prints:  A pile of sporess dropped from a mature shroom cap.  Basically the start to any cultivation, unless you buy yurself a spore syringe, which i honestly suggest you do if this is your first time.  There are a TON of ways you can fuck up sterility  making your own syringes from a print.

Worm casings:  The stuff that comes out a woms arse after it gets done eating.  Damn nutritious for plants, fungi, etc.

Step 18:  right, .25 mL a hole.  Gets the distribution even, better colonization, quicker most of the time.

There are a TON of spores per mL in a syringe.  A TON.

As far as the incubation....after you innoulate, palce them in the incubation chamber. do asearch for Tub in Tub on the boards, or find the tub in tub incubator tech.  Very effective.

They will grow at 70 degrees, but much more slowly, and contamination rates get worse.

When you birth the jars, don't worry so much Entrenched mycellium is pfairly good at fighting off invaders.  Just be clean, mebbe get some air neutrilizer stuff.

as far as the pinning and such, wait till; you get there.....don't think TOO far ahead. :grin:

Innoculation, in this context, refers to the process of injecting the spore solution.  Kinda like getting a flue shot (innoculation) but only vaguely.

If you need more help, let us know.  And welcome to the Shroomery. :smile:

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3181789 - 09/26/04 02:16 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

what are spore prints?
-basically what it says, a print of spores. the spores come from the gills of the mushroom, they're its natural way to reproduce

can shrooms be cloned?
-yes. search for the cardboard cloning tek.

what are worm casings
-worm poop.

this it makes me think if they realized that it doesnt matter how many spores you put in, either 1/4 of a ml, or 2ml's, it will still grow the same ammount. am I on the right track here??
-yeah, sorta. i use about 1.5cc of spore solution per jar myself. if you use more solution, more spores are bound to germinate and there will be somewhat faster growth, or at least quicker germination IMO (in my opinion)

do you feel this is needed? my room stays above 70 degrees always. I'm just wanting the best outcome. what do you personally recommend? (btw what process is this called?)
-well, it's not NECCESSARY... but you'll be in for a longer wait for 100% colonization of the jar, a must before you birth it. i reccomend using the tub-in-tub like you said. just get a thermometer and try to keep it at about 84 degrees F. it's called incubation.

should I cold shock my cakes? does it get better results or should I only do it if I don't notice pins?
-you can do it, some people swear by it. it's not neccessary for cubensis pinning, but IME (in my experience), it gives a better pinset. you do it before you see pins.

can I dunk my cakes when all of the mycellium is grown and pins are forming for the first flush? - I know you can do this, leave it in 12 hours but if you do it 24 hours you will kill the pins
-you can dunk when all the mycelium is grown. you don't dunk if you have pins, or you remove the pins before dunking. 12 hours is the minimum to get noticable results (i believe). 24 hours is what most people do. it's over 48 hours where you worry about the mycelium drowning.

what do these words mean: inoculation?
-injecting something with a syringe. here it will be your spore solution.

there's one more than that I can't think of, it's something that some do after your shrooms are done growing. I read it on another post, I am uncertain at this time!
-i don't know what you're talking about... any ideas what it is? any clues?

and you're right, there are no stupid questions when it comes to growing. i'm glad you came here, this place has helped me learn to grow as well.

good luck, and happy shrooming. if you have any more questions, just post in this thread and either myself, or someone else will answer those questions.

EDIT:
looks like someone already started tackling this when i started typing, hehe. ^^^^^. you seem to be getting a few of the ones i'm answering tonight.

i hope both of our posts cover all the bases.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Edited by ZeroArmy27 (09/26/04 02:19 AM)

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
Re: Am I doing this right.. [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #3181801 - 09/26/04 02:21 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

As far as the tuimers, i can't say as to where you need them for the setuo you're looking at.
Food dehydratotr: depends on the heat.....low, low heat (~90 degrees F) is acceptable.

Timers are whether I'm supposed to keep light on em for a long period of time or only 5 minutes a day as mentioned on the teks, but I just read a post of a guy doing 13 hours a day, so this would help me shut it off while I get a lil shut eye myself, Or if I happen to forget about it.

They will grow at 70 degrees, but much more slowly, and contamination rates get worse. - what do you mean by this, are you talking about it being in the incubator? why would it grow slower, with higher contamination rate?

When you birth the jars, don't worry so much Entrenched mycellium is pfairly good at fighting off invaders. Just be clean, mebbe get some air neutrilizer stuff.

Good idea for air neutrilizer, would there be one that shroom growers recommend or yourself personally?

as far as the pinning and such, wait till; you get there.....don't think TOO far ahead. - are you referring to the cold shock method? what you are saying is, try to wait for the pins(how long?) but I should still cold shock them if they too late, right?

Can I dunk my cakes when the pinning starts for the first flush?

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3181812 - 09/26/04 02:26 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

They will grow at 70 degrees, but much more slowly, and contamination rates get worse. - what do you mean by this, are you talking about it being in the incubator? why would it grow slower, with higher contamination rate?
-no. if you kept it in your room at 70 degrees, your jars will grow slower than if they were at optimal temps.

Good idea for air neutrilizer, would there be one that shroom growers recommend or yourself personally?
-Oust.

Can I dunk my cakes when the pinning starts for the first flush?
-after your 100% colonization, wait 2-3 days for it to get everything else on the inside of the jar that you can't see. then birth it. don't wait for pinning if you want to dunk.

--------------------

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

#3181820 - 09/26/04 02:31 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't worry too much on the light bit....mebbe 4-5 minutes (like when you're fanning it) will be sufficient to induce pinning.

As far as the 70 degrees, i was thinking you were talking for the incubation process.  If you're thinking for the birthing chamber, that's great.
but incubation should be 84-86 degrees farienheit.

Slower growth during the incubation process just gives contams more chance to get a foothold.

Air nuetralizer:  a hepa filter, to be honest, and some of the anti-bacterial stuff.

Those two will take care of most of your potential invaders, atmospheric wise.  Brand doesn't matter so much.

Cold shocking hasn't been a necessity in my experience, the drop from 84-86 combined with higher oxygen concentrations and a bit of light works fine.

Dunking:  you would ideally dunk your cake immediately after birth, and after every flush.

Gets the mycellium some more water to play with.

Zero:  Yeah, i think we got him covered.  I'm just up here cause i've hit my recent postwhore goal in OTD and figured i'd start contributing again. :smile:

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3181831 - 09/26/04 02:37 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

you guys have basically covered me. You 2 are Gods. I bow to the both of you.

when exactly is it "birthing"? when all of the mycellium is grown and before pinning?

Thank you guys so much, and I'll keep you updated with my progress, and I'll be sure to take pics of every step!

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

#3181835 - 09/26/04 02:39 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Birthing is when you pop the fully colonized cake out of the jar.

A delicate operation, to be sure.
Make a growlog in the growlog/pic forum!

that way everyone can watch/advise/congratulate/drool. :sun:

--------------------

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3181841 - 09/26/04 02:41 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't worry too much on the light bit....mebbe 4-5 minutes (like when you're fanning it) will be sufficient to induce pinning.
-you know i do a different lighting schedule than you. 18 on/6 off for pinning, then 12/12 for fruiting. i'm thinking about switching to 6/18 for fruiting to see if there's a difference.

if he has a timer, he could set it up for something like this. he could also use it for a coolmist system... i saw a vicks coolmist at wal*mart for $10. same price i got my jars for there. strangely enough, they were in the gardening area on the insie of the store... i guess for people canning stuff from their gardens.

speaking of postwhores, look at my number of posts. i registered on the first of the month, it's now the 26th and i have over 200 posts. i'm on here a hell of alot, hehehe. :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Re: Am I doing this right.. [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3181848 - 09/26/04 02:45 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, i can see the usefullness of a timer in coolmist operation....but lights i'm iffy about.  They're only really effective in the blue wavelength, and a clear fruiting container in a room generally gets enough sunlight to set a decent cycle. I'm all about the least energy expenditure possible.

And 200 posts in a month in strictly topical forums ain't bad.....but i put up about that number today alone. :tongue:

--------------------

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3181865 - 09/26/04 02:52 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ok guys, 1 thing about my method, it has no pictures, and no times, so maybe I should switch to a different one, or could one of you please edit each step with times and maybe post pictures from different teks too in each step that the pics go with? I would appreciate it SO much. if you won't do it for me, do it for the 5 star rating I'll give you for the effort! I'd so greatly appreciate if you did this, it'll help me so much...

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

#3181880 - 09/26/04 03:06 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

maybe tomorrow.....i'll do my best.

It's fairly self- explanatory.

--------------------

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3181884 - 09/26/04 03:08 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

yeah but I'm a first time grower and I'm not sure how to recognize when it's all done growing or anything. so I really need it.

Thank you if you do decide to do it, that'll help me out so much.

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3181888 - 09/26/04 03:10 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Actually, I think you are right. it is pretty self-explanatory. Thanks anyways but I think I'll be able to get it all done right. You can be the judge by the pics of each step, and I'll even write how I did it in each step.

Edited by gloom (09/26/04 03:11 AM)

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3182257 - 09/26/04 11:09 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

After I get a good feel for the pf-tek, and am successful growing, I want to move onto growing bulk subtrates, would I need to master anything before I go into this? I want to do it in a tub full of manure(maybe mixed with another additive, but I don't know where to buy sraw), but what's different from doing it in manure, and jars? are they inoculated in the manure? there aren't any GOOD bulk teks with manure on shroomery that I can find, could one of you refer me to one with pics please? thanks

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3182331 - 09/26/04 11:47 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Look for Rye. Deal with that first. Good semi bulk. Nice and easy. Hopefully you've done some casings as well with them cakes..if not definatly look for the Rye post by magash and follow his tek. Lots of pics. You can search for it but it should be on the first 5 pages at least. Straw is a pain in the ass and I can't imagine poo to be much better. I've been working with straw and unless this baby gives me some shrooms that make me spludge my pant's I'm sticking with Rye. At least as long as I live in an apartment.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3183279 - 09/26/04 05:01 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

scatmanrav,

I have not dealt with casings, but to my knowledge I know that you crumble your cakes, and put a layer of peat(peatmoss?) or vermiculite over the top, now what is the reason for casing? is this going to grow into a bigger cake now that's it crumbled? is this what casing is? and from that, it will grow more shrooms since it has a bigger cake with a 2nd flush? maybe I am totally misunderstanding this. but I think I'm somewhat on the right track.

omgitsblue,

good deal, I would love to see what progress comes about your doing of this method. I shall link you to mine also when I'm done!

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3183286 - 09/26/04 05:05 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'd also like to thank everyone who is helping me, It is very much appreciated and when I'm educated enough and a "Semi-Pro" or atleast know my shit. the favor will more than likely be repaid when you need help.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate