Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Loc: Washington State
Penis mushrooms revisited...and other cool finds today!
    #3181597 - 09/26/04 03:07 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Found some good ones today! Dang! I musta gotten five MILLION...no...make that BILLION pounds of them. At least! I was stoked! I was back on my land once again!

Got to revisit our friend the 'penis mushroom.'

Guys...looks like he's spent!

BUT...I DID happen upon a nice specimen. I thought you'd enjoy checking out one in various stages of development. Pretty cool and beautiful as well!

Here is a fresh one I found. In it's prime and really a beautiful mushroom.

I found a fresh and prime egg nearby and sliced it in half to show you all how these creatures begin. Remember last week I took that pic of the emerging penis head???

Well...this is what it started from.

Awesome!

My "Landmovers" are emerging by the dozens all over the land. They are amazingly powerful! Russula Brevipes.
They can go...

From this....

To THIS!!!

LOBSTER MUSHROOMS! Hypomyces lactifluorum! Oh yes! I lucked out today!

If you're interested in the other cool finds I came across today...here are a few more shots I took.

I also tried out my new cool little 'bag thingy' that I bought at Walgreens this morning just to see if it might work. I figured for $2.50 it wouldn't terrorize my wallet...and it just might work in the woods.

It's a "Collapsable Laundry bag" according to the package and their sign. 2 for $5.00! It's made out of that twisty, springy wirey stuff that curls into a ring and then sproings out when you're ready to use it. Little built in pocket for easy storage. (I put my safety glasses in it while I was harvesting Chanterelles today. You don't think I actually keep my safety glasses on around pokey trees and branches do you????)

Anyway...It worked awesome! Carried at LEAST 5 Million pounds of Chanterelles without any trouble. Didn't get hung up on any of the brush. VERY lightweight. Perfect!

I'll post this much and then edit with my other pics from that other picture doo higgy,,,,whatever it was called place.

PHOTOBUCKET...got it!

Here's some of the little guys that were hanging on the tree last week that I thought were velvet foot shrooms. They are growing!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/freedomseeker/Theboysaregrowing.jpg

And getting some fur!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/freedomseeker/Gettingtheirfur.jpg

Here is a mature specimen I found today in a different spot. What do you think it is???

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/freedomseeker/Oneoftheboysallgrownup20cmx17cm.jpg

...and from above...
See the velvet??? Brown and fuzzy like a young deers antlers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/freedomseeker/Oneoftheboysfromthetop.jpg

Here's some Chanterelles...I mean...here's 5 BILLION pounds of Chanterelles in my bag thingy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/freedomseeker/Chanterellesinmynewbagthingy.jpg

And one from the side. I'm tellin' ya...it works! Whoot!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/freedomseeker/Safeandsecureintheirmeshbag.jpg

And some nice fungus I found. Polypore...I should say. Sheesh.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/freedomseeker/Polyporeofunknownspecies.jpg

And a loner nearby.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/freedomseeker/Polyporesingle.jpg

Oh...and I continue on my quest to locate and identify some of the actives that I KNOW are on my land. It's really beginning to bug me ya know!??? Now it's a challange! Damn it! I want to find SOMETHING that bruises blue!

I am sitting here in my room with two trays covered with various 'shroom' hopefuls waiting to spore print and then they'll stick out their tongues and taunt me! Damn it!

Peace,
L

--------------------
"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi

Edited by freedomseeker (09/26/04 03:25 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Penis mushrooms revisited...and other cool finds today! [Re: freedomseeker]
    #3182218 - 09/26/04 12:44 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

cool stuff.

I don't think that's really the right place to be looking if you hope to find actives though, unless you happen to have a cow pasture or some areas where there's hardwood mulch on the ground :wink:.  I know I never see any of the species you've been posting when out gathering psilocybes, they don't like untouched woodlands (unfortunately, would make hunting them a bit less likely to get you unwanted attention), best growth is in man-made habitats...

DH

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Re: Penis mushrooms revisited...and other cool finds today! [Re: spores]
    #3182266 - 09/26/04 01:14 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks so much! You have no idea!!! #@*%in ellusive to me it seems.

I had those chipper guys drop off a truckload of Tree chips a few years ago and had tons of mushrooms growing on that heap. Bet that was when I shoulda been obsessed huh!? Crud!

I'll roam around the Lakewood streets to see whats springing up then. I have checked a local park...but no wood chips.

Thanks again.
L

--------------------
Mahatma Gandhi

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3182464 - 09/26/04 02:45 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Those photos of the fuzzy footed mushrooms growing from tree makes it clear they are Paxillus atrotomentosus. A spore print will come out brown. Paxillus species should be considered potentially lethally poisonous.

Happy mushrooming!

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Re: Penis mushrooms revisited...and other cool finds today! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3182977 - 09/26/04 05:21 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

So I guess that would rule out any velvety mushroom covered steaks huh! THanks for the ID. Very beautiful though...and cool to observe their very SLOW progress down on the land.

Do you figure that Amanita for an A. pachycolea??? Rather than a Grisette??? I found a few that were the tan description that a Grisette should have and the fish smell I mentioned last week. This one is different though.

L

--------------------
Mahatma Gandhi

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

#3183200 - 09/26/04 06:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

ToxicMan or anyone else...have you ever eaten any of the Grisettes???

I found some recipes...some sites say they are questionable...others say they're great.

L

--------------------
Mahatma Gandhi

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3185042 - 09/27/04 04:13 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The exact species of that Amanita will require a microscope. Amanita pachycolea is certainly one of the more likely species it could be, and the species I lean toward. The deep furrowing of the striate margin is very suggestive, and A. pachycolea is listed in several references as the most common of the various Grisette species in the PNW. To be sure we need to know the kind of trees they were growing under, the size of the spores, and any discoloration of the volva as they age. Incidentally, A. pachycolea is included in the general group of species that are referred to by some people as Grisettes (Mykoweb lists it as the "Western Grisette").

I have never eaten any of the Grisettes. I never seem to find enough of them to bother with as edibles. It doesn't help that almost none of my references indicate that they are choice.

Happy mushrooming!

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Re: Penis mushrooms revisited...and other cool finds today! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3185840 - 09/27/04 12:26 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I found these in a mixed conifer forest. Alders, Fir and Hemlocks were growing above. it. One thing that I noted is that at the time I found these...I was hunting Chanterelles, which indicates that I would have been closest to the Hemlock trees.

I didn't find much conclusive evidence that they were choice edibles either. But I did find a PNW site that gave a recipe for Gristtes and Russulas mixed in a Salmon dish. They seemed impressed. But Internationally, there doesn't seem to be a big rush to go find them for cooking.

Such beautiful and interesting fungi though! (and I'm a firm believer that you should know the edible plants...of all types...in the area that you live. Survivalist I guess! I taught my kids when they were growing up too. Paranoid...remember??? *grin)

Thanks!
L

Again...guess it's time for that microscope.

--------------------
Mahatma Gandhi

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification