Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAsazman
Stranger
Anti-depressants and shrooms....
    #3181575 - 09/26/04 03:00 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Two of my friends are going to be doing mushrooms this weekend, neither have ever tried the drug before. I have never tried pot (never wanted to) or any other drug, but I do drink alcohol farely frequently. I am contemplating doing mushrooms with them this weekend, however, I am on an MAOI medication (aka andi-depressants), Paxil at 25mg a day. Unfortunately, I was born with OCD and I have been taking medication all my life to alter it.

Now, I've heard that taking MAOI medications greatly increases the effects of mushrooms, but I have no idea by how much. This will be the only time I will try it, so I'd like to have it count.

I heard not taking the medication for a week before and after taking shrooms will normalize the effect, but I don't know if this is fact...

We will not have a scale, so we couldn't guage how much to take by weight....what do you guys think? Should I try mushrooms? If so, how much should I take? Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone! Feel free to email me at NutriGrainKiller@gmail.com

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Anti-depressants and shrooms.... [Re: Asazman]
    #3181590 - 09/26/04 03:04 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If you're on an MAOI, then take about half the dose of shrooms that you normally would.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineAsazman
Stranger
Re: Anti-depressants and shrooms.... [Re: silversoul7]
    #3181613 - 09/26/04 03:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

so i would like the common experience, should i take half a gram, about half a mushroom?

Offlineaje
Why not?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #3182601 - 09/26/04 03:25 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Mushrooms come in many different sizes, you should be dosing by weight, not number of mushrooms.

Most people start around 2 - 3.5 grams their first time. You could take one gram, or you could take a half gram like you said if you want to be careful, then an hour later if you feel fine/comfortable with the effects, eat the other half.

--------------------

Offlinecafers
Stranger
Re: Anti-depressants and shrooms.... [Re: aje]
    #3182718 - 09/26/04 03:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry if im just being confusing here but is there not a large difference between mushrooms dry and mushrooms wet, because i normally take about 15-20 grams wet to have a trippy time, and i would have thought 1 - 3 grams wouldnt do much (unless they are dry???)

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #3182731 - 09/26/04 04:00 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Let me get this correct, you're on Paxil and nothing else? Because Paxil is an SSRI. If you are only on Paxil, that would mean the effects of shrooming will most likely be diminished and you would have to take more than normal.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #3182748 - 09/26/04 04:04 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

research is in progress:
Search for 'Psilocybin in the Treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder'
on this page http://www.maps.org/research/

--------------------

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
Re: Anti-depressants and shrooms.... [Re: blink]
    #3182809 - 09/26/04 04:23 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

that's pretty interesting. i have ocd also, i'll look into that.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #3182959 - 09/26/04 05:17 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I know you didnt come here to get lectured, and your question is a very valid one, but to take any drugs while having a mental illness or psychiatric problems, even if they are mild, isnt always recomended.
Mushrooms can be a great experience, but its never guarenteed.

If you are still bent on taking something like mushrooms, I would recomend that someone who really knows what to watch for be present, someone with alot of experience, and that knows how to help keep the trip positive.

Im not saying that ALL people that have mental health issues have bad experiences, but dont be surprised if you find something scary about yourself while on them, or begin to experience things that, while on this drug, may seem horrifying.
You can still count on having a decent experience, but theres always a chance, and theres only one way to find out for sure, that you might not like this drug.....

Good luck!

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: El Emigrante

Loc: Chicago, USA
    #3182962 - 09/26/04 05:18 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

dont cross post....

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

OfflinePuZuZu
Board Bum
 User Gallery

Loc: Idaho (USA)
    #3183403 - 09/26/04 07:51 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Preperation is key. You aren't prepared.

The first thing is that you are completely new and raw to the mind-altering drugs. I usually expect people to have smoked reefer enough to get a taste for trippiness at a mild affect.

If you must have an experience as crazy as a first time shrooming then I'd get an experienced shroomer to come with you. A babysitter if you will to guide you through the experience. Because if you freak it can be bad.

Mentally you have to be ready. If the medication is going to do something to you odd while you trip I don't recommend you try it. Seriously, if you get fucked over majorly it will turn the drug world off to you and you'll get the wrong idea. You want the best experience, especially since you don't have any past shit to learn from.

I really think you should smoke some herb. Good herb that will make you tip to get the power of the drugs straight. Shrooms are hardcore and if you just jump into it unprepared its going to be intense.

Dose of shrooms is a big way to figure out how intense your trip will be. So I'd get a scale.

--------------------
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you would never get on."
Lance Armstrong

InvisibleMerkin
neep.
 User Gallery

Loc: Ass Flavoured Pie Factory
    #3183568 - 09/26/04 09:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yes dose less.
it also depends on the strain of shrooms you're eating. there's a big difference between woodloving mushrooms such as ps. cyanescens or ps. subaeruginosa compared to ps. cubensis. the woodlovers are alot more potent.

--------------------
Wheels of cheese wheeels of cheeeeese!!!

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3183679 - 09/26/04 09:45 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The effects will be reduced if you take an SSRI regularly. You will need more mushrooms than normal.
The effects will be enhanced if you take an MAOI regularly. You will need less mushrooms than normal.

Please read this if there is any confusion Asazman.
Keep in mind they refer to LSD but mushrooms respond about the same.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/maois/maois_info4.shtml
http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.cgi?ID=2768

--------------------

OfflineAsazman
Stranger
    #3187939 - 09/27/04 08:56 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Wow thanks guys again for all the info! Sorry about cross-posting, I thought I posted in the wrong forum so I reposted in another, mods can delete/lock to minimize traffic.

There will be two other people doing shrooms with me, and one person, who has done shrooms and been around people who have done it, who will also not be taking any sort of drug/alcohol during the experience, to watch over us.

I guess I need to go get a scale...yes I understand I will be unprepared, however this is still something I want to try. I want a mild-common trip, and given my SSRI medication, how many GRAMS do you think I should consume? I suppose I could take one gram and if that's not satisfactory in an hour I could take half a gram more.

That is very very cool regarding the OCD reduction and shrooms, does anyone know technicially why this is? I know shrooms modify the 2a serotonin receptors in the brain, is that the same area that there is a loose bolt (aka OCD)?

Once again I thank you all for your help and knowledge, after this experience I believe I will be a regular visitor here to share my experiences with others.

Thanks!

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3188010 - 09/27/04 09:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Please submit a report to erowid detailing your experience, even if it is a threshold experience, and then PM me when you have with what the report name is so I can pick it out.

The reason mushrooms seem to be having an effect on OCD is because they has similar action to seretonin in the brain (the drug psilocin is a setetonin recepter antagonist as you stated). Specifically why it helps is beyond me and I am sure it is even a question that those studying neuropharmacology ask themselves... There is some information on the action of mushrooms in the body in the FAQ

The most detailed information on how the receptors work was found in the google cache here

I have a friend whom I am going to trip with and although she is not on any SSRIs, she and I will both have 2 grams each.
However much you dose is up to you, just follow the recommendations of the Psychedelic Experience FAQ and the Tripper's FAQ found in my sig

--------------------

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #3188113 - 09/27/04 09:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I would eat 2 grams, not to much but not to little either. The one thing you need to pay attention to is your setting, this can and will probably affect your trip greatly. Don't go somewhere you are not familiar with or hang out with a bunch of people you don't know. Chances are you're going to have good time whatever you do, but for your first trip you should at least come up at a place where you feel comfortable and be with your close friends. Have a nice trip! :mushroom2:

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #3188668 - 09/27/04 11:14 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i would not take mushrooms unless your experienced a little with marijuana which is a minor psychedelic.

Or take a low dose around 1.5 or 2 grams like cubie said.
But coming from someone who also has a mental disorder. Ill sometimes get crazy thought loops when tripping. So just research it a bit and you'll be ready.

As they say. May the shroom be with you. :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Community >> The Pub