Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

thujone
    #3141854 - 09/16/04 12:03 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I was looking up an herbal remedy for a friend earlier and came across this.

7. Sage: Many herbalists suggest making a strong sage tea to treat inflammations of the mouth and throat. To make this tea, use two teaspoons of dried herb per cup of boiling water. Let it steep until cool and then gargle with it.

Caution: You should not drink too much of this tea. Sage contains a fair amount of thujone, a compound that in very high doses may cause convulsions if taken in excessive quantities.

That was taken from:
"http://www.holistic-online.com/Remedies/Canker/canker_herbs.htm"

I wasn't aware of this before. Could one do a thujone extraction using sage and make something similar to absinthe?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Loc: North Calotte
Re: thujone [Re: NewfoundFreedom]
    #3142601 - 09/16/04 05:33 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

some info i found on thujone

Thujone is a natural chemical compound found in many different plants and flowers. It is especially known in many spices, herbs and essential oils.

Thujone has a similar chemical structure to Tetrahydrocannibinol (active ingredient found in marijuana or THC) and Menthol (peppermint odor found in many over-the-counter medicated creams).

Can be found in 24 direct food additives according to the FDA's PAFA database.

Dalmation sage oil and cedar leaf oil are stated as containing the highest concentration of thujone.

Absinthe, Absente, Vermouth, Benedictine, Elisir du D.R. and Chartreuse contain small amounts of Thujone.

This natural chemical is stated to make up 40-90% (by weight) of the essence of wormwood.

Reported side effects of thujone and wormwood are nausea, vomiting, insomnia, restlessness, vertigo, tremors and seizures.

Thujone has been suggested as causing addictions, hyperactivity, excitability, hallucinations and psychedelics with chronic use from the ingredient wormwood.

Large doses of thujone have been found to cause delirium, convulsions, seizures, paralysis, brain damage, renal failure and death.

Do not take during pregnancy and lactation.

A warning was issued by three Washington State Doctors about the purchase of wormwood oil used in a recipe for making the banned liquor absinthe. The victim unaware that the consumption of his homemade absinthe could cause adverse effects and resulted in poisoning.

Offlinekontron
captain planet
Loc: Eden
    #3145889 - 09/16/04 09:48 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i made my own absinthe once... my god was it potent. i used a lot of wormwood, and seeped it in alchohol for a week. shaking every day or so. keeping it around 85-93 degrees worked real well. i kept it in darkness the whole time too. use a large glass mason jar or old liquire bottle. if you have a couple grand i would say get a small distiller thing and cook the stuff yourself. be carefull about the amount. thujone, and other ingridients in absinthe are known to eventualy cause seziures and mess with your nervious system.
you might as well buy a bottle online. there are a couple brands that will knock you on your ass in 1 shot. cant think of the names now.. but swiss le blu was one.. la fee is good too,<---- not as strong, but add your own wormwood to real, but less potent absinthe and you will have a blast.
homeade stuff taste like burning wood. i think you have to drink it for a period of time before it has any effects, then i think those effects are in part to damage to your brain. thujone on it's own in my opinion is not a good idea. i would just spend the money and get a bottle then drink it over time. i got 2 bottles of la-fee delivered in 3 days from france.. 3 fucking days.. it was amazing. total cost was 160 us, but for 2 bottles of that stuff it was well worth it. i have heard absinthe also gets more potent with time.
a friend of mine had a bottle of suisse le blu (if thats spelled right) and drank half in a week.. the bottle sat there for a year and when she came back 3 or 4 sips fucked her up.
look out for anything not spelled "ABSINTHE". that usualy means there is no thujone in it. or so it seems.
go to www.eabsinthe.com that is where i get la fee from.. great shipping times.. 3 FUCKING DAYS from halfway across the world! AMAZING!
also a good site for kits... cheap and easy. http://www.absinthekits.com/home.htm

Edited by kontron (09/16/04 09:50 PM)

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3146293 - 09/16/04 11:13 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

the first nations in central BC used sage A LOT in their teas and for external use. im sure you have read about all teh sues, but it seems like good medicine. thujone in high quantities is bad, which is why it is regulated some places. also heard of bars keeping your name on record to make sure you do not drink too much at once (absinth)

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #3146803 - 09/17/04 01:26 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i should probably let you know that most users of absinthe agree that the content of thujone in even the strongest absinthes now or in the past is not at a level high enough to result in thujone intoxication - and the activity of absinthe mixs is dependent on the other herbs used in the distillation.

--------------------

Offlinekontron
captain planet
Loc: Eden
Re: thujone [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #3149908 - 09/17/04 08:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

yes that is true. absinthe is weak by past standards. at one point though the average thujon level was about 150-300, even 500 ( i think it was mlg). now most absinthes have about 10 i think 15 tops. home made brew and the extracts though can be harmfull if not used properly. too much can have very serious side effects. but i guess that goes in to over exposure doesnt it. i think star anise is also thought to cause seziures ( i could be wrong). absinthe containes a lot of that. i think that is actualy the second most herb or spice next to wormwood itself.
i like to get a bottle of pernoid from the liquire store. non wormwood absinthe, and seep my own wormwood into it. tastes much better, and you can easily with time and practice get it to be very effective, but i do not know about safe... some of the home brew stuff we drank ha some great visuals.. not major.. just lines around stuff.. everything looked like pop ups, and sort of breathing like when you start to trip on shrooms... a very clear drunk every time.. i never feel sloppy when drinking absinthe.

OfflineHoodedForestDwellr
Terrorist/Musician

Loc: North West US
Re: thujone [Re: kontron]
    #3152953 - 09/19/04 12:53 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I think the highest levels of thujone per bottle I've ever seen/drank is like 30-35mg. -Not counting the home brew :-)

--------------------

--- "As your attorny I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top, and you'll need the cocaine." - Dr. Gonzo

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

Re: thujone [Re: HoodedForestDwellr]
    #3154166 - 09/19/04 09:27 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm planning on building a still sometime soon for my home brewery so maybe I'll give making some homemade absinthe a shot.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3154766 - 09/20/04 12:06 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Personally, I think the main active ingredient in absinth is asarone, not thujone.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: thujone [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3171317 - 09/23/04 06:22 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

>>Personally, I think the main active ingredient in absinth is asarone, not thujone.

Why's that?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: thujone [Re: neuro]
    #3174319 - 09/24/04 09:46 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Mostly from people's experiences with wormwood and calamus seperately.

Just a hunch really.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#3180569 - 09/25/04 08:51 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Dr. Duke's Phytochemical Database doesn't have Asarone listed as a constiutent of Artemisia absinthium, however that doesn't mean it isn't there, just not found or isolated, or no one ever bothered to look for it. If you got some spare time, some chemicals and a mass spectrometer perhaps you can investigate your hunch.

I think though, asarone would be intensly more psychedelic than people seemingly report. If anything I think that placebo accounts for a majority of the effects people describe, as studies into health and psychology show that placebo accounts for 33% of the effectiveness of actual medicines.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3181031 - 09/25/04 10:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I was talking about asarone from calamus, not wormwood.

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#3187367 - 09/27/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ooooh, gotcha... i haven't looked it up but do you know off hand if calamus is included in every recipe?

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #3187636 - 09/27/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

All of the ones that I have read.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Offlineseraphim
pugilist andstamp licker

Loc: brooklyn, ny
Re: thujone [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #3838207 - 02/26/05 05:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Has anyone tried the extract from absinthekits.com ? I couldn't find any response specifically to this web site's products and the concentrate extract vial. Sounds like a great, c heap, convienent way to meet the green fairy.
http://www.absinthekits.com/prices.htm?Accept=Accept

--------------------
trying to lose the monkey mind a little bit

OfflineKnight_Templar
Stranger
Re: thujone [Re: seraphim]
    #3841426 - 02/27/05 01:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I am very familiar with the effects of thujone (over-) intoxification.
It can get pretty spooky, and, I recommend anyone making their own absinthe to start out slowly and gradually find their limits with this drug, as it is very strong.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale