Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Agaricus ?
    #3175746 - 09/24/04 03:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Today I went for a walk in the woods and found these mushrooms
beside the path under some trees:

The diameter of the biggest cap was about 16 cm and the stalk had
also a lenght of about 16 cm. Note the scales on the top of the cap:

On this picture you can see that the lamellae are free and that
the flesh on the cap does not change color at all when being injured:

The annulus was quite big and hanging down.
Also the little white flakes under the annulus are remarkable:

The flesh on the stem did not change color when being teared apart,
but the outside of it got a light orange color when being bruised:

The color of the lamellae was kind of pinkish-brown:

I am just making a spore print, so I cannot tell what it is going to look like ...
The smell of the mushrooms was pleasant and at the first glance not very striking.
But when you scraped hard at the stem where it joins the cap it smelled a bit like almonds.

Any ideas what this could be ?

Edited by ragadinks (09/24/04 05:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Agaricus ? [Re: ragadinks]
    #3175821 - 09/24/04 04:04 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

It's an Agaricus.

To bruise it, cut it in half vertically then scrape the inside with your knife edge hard enough to bruise the tissue. Color changes can take up to an hour.

The best places to check the odor are at the top of the stem where it joins with the cap and the base of the stem. If you don't detect any particular odor try crushing the base of the stem with your fingers and sniffing again.

Happy mushrooming!

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Agaricus ? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3175972 - 09/24/04 04:46 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

> To bruise it, cut it in half vertically then scrape the inside with your knife edge hard enough to bruise the tissue. Color changes can take up to an hour.
The flesh on the cap still does not show any change in color,
but the flesh on the stem turns into a pale brown where it joins with the cap
and kind of an orange-brown on the outer side of the vertical cut and the entire horizontal cut.

Edit:
> The best places to check the odor are at the top of the stem where it joins with the cap and the base of the stem.
You were right! When I scraped the flesh at the top of the stem where it joins with the cap (same place where the color turned to a pale brown) and smelled there I realized the odor of almonds.
Probably due to the fact that my nose is stuffed I did not realize that before.

Edited by ragadinks (09/24/04 05:39 PM)

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3176193 - 09/24/04 05:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

> The best places to check the odor are at the top of the stem where it joins with the cap and the base of the stem.
You were right! When I scraped the flesh at the top of the stem where it joins with the cap (same place where the color turned to a pale brown) and smelled there I realized the odor of almonds.
Probably due to the fact that my nose is stuffed I did not realize that before.

Because of the almond odor, the size of the cap, the scales on the cap, the cap's color and the veil I think it could be Agaricus augustus.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3176673 - 09/24/04 08:12 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

In general, the good smelling Agaricus are edible. The thing to watch for is that some people seem to get stomach upsets from eating some of the sweet smelling yellow stainers. Unfortunately, the only way to find out if you're one of thsoe people is to eat some. The standard method is to cook a small amount (save the rest raw in your refrigerator), and eat some (less than a teaspoon). Wait overnight. If you didn't get nausea or vomiting then you can eat them without worry. If you do get sick ( not many people do) then the smaller amount helps keep you from getting too sick. If you get sick enough to go to the emergency room, take the uncooked mushrooms with you. They can test them to confirm that they don't need to start looking for a liver donor.

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates