Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #3174897 - 09/24/04 02:38 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

The ancient Chinese thought that no leader should be permitted to seek power. They believed that those who seek power need power, and that those who need power ought not be entrusted with it. I agree.

I find it easier to trust the schoolteacher or the bulldozer operator over the professional politicians I have known. I would more readily trust the waitress and the high school custodian to know more about right and wrong than any I know who occupy high seats in Washington.

When faced with the system's faults we may acknowledge them with a shrug of the shoulders and reply with the old cliche, "The system may not be perfect, but it is the best system ever invented by man." But suppose medicine had been satisfied with such an argument concerning, say, infectious diseases....

Our national leaders are chosen from the socially more powerful of our culture, where leadership is still usurped by power, under the mistaken assumption that power and wisdom, power and competence, power and morality, are somehow equivalent.

The well balanced, intelligent, fully integrated rarely seek power. Power is an unfortunate palliative for the insecure. To permit the power-hungry to rule, whether through the so-called democratic process or by use of stealth or force, is like turning a pyromaniac loose in a match factory with a large can of gasoline.

When we find tyrants we most often find men who fill in the gaps and holes in their personality with power. Tyrants use power like putty to fill in for knowledge, for understanding, for intelligence, for patience, for insight, for sensitivity. Eventually we mistakenly come to see power as wisdom. Yet the most powerful are often the most obtuse, as evidenced by the fact that the world, suffering through its tragic history of war, genocide, starvation, ignorance and misery, has been under the nearly exclusive domain of men of power from the onset of civilization.

Excerpted and edited from the book, From Freedom to Slavery: The Rebirth of Tyrrany in America by Gerry Spence

To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Edited by Evolving (09/24/04 02:50 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Power [Re: Evolving]
    #3174909 - 09/24/04 02:41 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I'd prefer just to trust people to lead their own lives, rather than give that authority to someone else.

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Power [Re: silversoul7]
    #3174924 - 09/24/04 02:45 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I agree with you Silver. The sooner people take back their own sense of self authority, the sooner the experience of unequated powers will balance out.

Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology