Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinehesse
Stranger
fruiting issues
    #3174654 - 09/24/04 01:19 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

ok, so i have a fully, i mean fully colonized, tray of compost in a rubbermaid container, it seems humid enough, as moisture is collecting on the sides of the container. i had already put a layer of casing on it and the mycelium has colonized all of it, there seem to be hyphae that are growing straight up, and i dont know if these are pins or not. Are there any good pictures anywhere of what pinning looks like at the very beginning? Should i put another layer of casing on? the temperature is around 79 degrees. i would post a picture but alas i have not a scanner. Can anyone tell me if there is something i should be doing which i am not. i am allowing for gas exchange, but am very wary, since i dont have any special equipment to pump in sterlized air. Also should i mist? there is so much contradictary information regarding misting. i mean there are many moisture pellets on the sides of the conatiner. I am tempted to birth the compost cake (it seems like its pretty much one piece) onto damp perlite like a pf-jar, should i do this? HELP!! i want pins!!!!!

much love and serenity

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemitemouse
Student

Re: fruiting issues [Re: hesse]
    #3174665 - 09/24/04 01:23 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Be PaTIENT....keep everything the same...Coldshock if you want to..but pins come when they want to come not when you decide.

InvisibleCitricM
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: hesse]
    #3174680 - 09/24/04 01:26 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek
Fast, easy, fool proof inoculation
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: fruiting issues [Re: Citric]
    #3174690 - 09/24/04 01:30 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

don't forget an 18 on/6 off light schedule until you DO get pins, then switch to 12/12.

search the forum for the term "knotting". that's the beginning of pin formation.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinezoltar
Hello I love youwont you tell meyour name?

Re: fruiting issues [Re: hesse]
    #3174718 - 09/24/04 01:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i think i have a couple of pics of knots lying around lemme see if i can dig em up for ya.

edit: here ya go man these are knots and pins if ya can see em the little white nerd like things are the begining of knots

--------------------
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
*note to any one reading my posts. any post pretaing to the cultivation of illegal psilocybe mushrooms are completely fictional. im a known pathological liar.

Edited by zoltar (09/24/04 01:38 PM)

InvisibleCitricM
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3174719 - 09/24/04 01:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek
Cup O' Shrooms
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3174739 - 09/24/04 01:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I beg to differ. I followed Hyphae's advice of an 18 hour cycle and it does kind of kick the grow in the pants. I would suggest the 18/6 cycle until you do get pins, then the 12/12 switch. I've seen people say "you only need a few minutes." Sure, for a few pins. But if you want ALOT of pins, then I'd go with more light.

You choose what you want to do, it's your grow. I'm not trying to start a fight with you Domey, just sharing what I've learned. I know you're more experienced than I am, but wait for Hyphae to chime in. He usually posts later on in the day.

--------------------

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

InvisibleCitricM
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3174753 - 09/24/04 01:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek
Cup O' Shrooms

My final Grow!

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3174775 - 09/24/04 01:46 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I was just making sure you weren't going to take it the wrong way. :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinezoltar
Hello I love youwont you tell meyour name?

#3174777 - 09/24/04 01:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

12/12 worked really well for me to get pins then i switched it up to 6/18 once i spoted them. i hear too much light when there maturing and that can make them mature too early resulting in a bunch of tiny mushrooms.

--------------------
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
*note to any one reading my posts. any post pretaing to the cultivation of illegal psilocybe mushrooms are completely fictional. im a known pathological liar.

Offlinehesse
Stranger
Re: fruiting issues [Re: zoltar]
    #3174791 - 09/24/04 01:51 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

thanks all

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fruiting issues [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3174971 - 09/24/04 02:55 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ZeroArmy27 said:
I beg to differ. I followed Hyphae's advice of an 18 hour cycle and it does kind of kick the grow in the pants. I would suggest the 18/6 cycle until you do get pins, then the 12/12 switch. I've seen people say "you only need a few minutes." Sure, for a few pins. But if you want ALOT of pins, then I'd go with more light.

You choose what you want to do, it's your grow. I'm not trying to start a fight with you Domey, just sharing what I've learned. I know you're more experienced than I am, but wait for Hyphae to chime in. He usually posts later on in the day.

My advice was 12-16hrs. for pinning and it does make a difference (especially some strains!) after that you can use whatever light you want longer dark periods seem to produce a more solid fruit although I keep my light period at 12-16hrs. throughout the grow cycle and have had no troubles. I'd recommend a longer dark period say 4-6on/18-20off after pins are set. GL

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fruiting issues [Re: hyphae]
    #3175255 - 09/24/04 03:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have found the same about darkness producing thicker meatier fruits! People said I was mad, I knew I wasn't. I do about 12 hours on for pinset and then 4-6 hours after that! Somtimes the light is on for more but I have multiple lights that bend (those ones that clamp onto shelves, excellent!) so some are on some are off and pointing at particular casings and shelves. When done right the ones growing stay in the shadows and pinning ones get more direct flouro light. The "shadows" seem to be enough for the growing mushrooms though occasionally some towards the back need a little direct light to get them to go up..I basically try to give my myc 12 hours of light and my mushies the least amount of light they need to grow straight up!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fruiting issues [Re: hyphae]
    #3175641 - 09/24/04 05:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Quote:

ZeroArmy27 said:

My advice was 12-16hrs. for pinning and it does make a difference (especially some strains!) after that you can use whatever light you want longer dark periods seem to produce a more solid fruit although I keep my light period at 12-16hrs. throughout the grow cycle and have had no troubles. I'd recommend a longer dark period say 4-6on/18-20off after pins are set. GL

I would like to reiterate now that I personally don't do this but I here so many claiming it works great so try it and see. I myself like to keep light levels in the 12-16hr. range mainly because as your myc flushes it is also knotting and pinning if everything is optimum. just my $.02

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation