Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineXanaDude
Stranger

Loc: Your Hippocampus
Newbie Casing Disaster -- is there hope?
    #3171136 - 09/23/04 05:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Mr. X, a mycological newbie, attempted his first casing using nicely colonized WBS with B+ strain. All cleanliness procedures were followed as closely as possible when preparing the casing. Contams have never been a problem.

Casing ingredients were as follows: straw and about 8 cups sterile compost/manure with a cup of verm thrown in for good measure. All casing ingredients were hydrated and pasteurized according to the "Oven Bag Tek" -- a great tek BTW.

Casing container is about 18 x 12 inches. Sitting in large rubbermaid container, with perlite bed for humidity. Covered with saran wrap. Monitored with electronic temp/hygro meter.

So far so good. But here's Mr. X's problem.

In Mr.X's excitement, he mis-read the casing instructions and instead mixed the straw, compost, and crumbled WBS spawn ALL TOGETHER IN ONE GOOPY MESS and placed it upon a layer of pasteurized straw.

There is no crumbled WBS spawn layer under the "casing" layer -- the whole thing is just one big tray of spawn/dung/straw muck.

Mr. X did not realize his mistake until he had finished. However, it was placed in a dark closet with heating pad anyways.

Here's what it looked like when it went into 85 deg F for incubation:

Here's what it looked like after 4 days incubation:

Here's what it looks like currently, 8 DAYS FROM the beginning, now 4 days into "fruiting" with 12/12 light and 72 deg F:

It looks like the rhizomorphic growth is newtorking across the non-nutritive layer, but honestly, does it look like my casing has a chance?

Any input would be appreciated.

Mr.X

--------------------
"The Power of Ten" -- the coolest non-drug mindfuck! See it at: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
Re: Newbie Casing Disaster -- is there hope? [Re: XanaDude]
    #3171146 - 09/23/04 05:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i don't see why it wouldn't work out
you could add another casing layer after 100% colinization if you wanted
or just fruit straight from that

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

OfflineXanaDude
Stranger

Re: Newbie Casing Disaster -- is there hope? [Re: muse_sick]
    #3171235 - 09/23/04 06:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the positive input. What I'm hoping for is that the rhizomorphic growth will continue to network through the compost.

So far there are no signs of any contams.

I've read on previous posts that I should be aiming for about 2/3 white fuzzy coverage after 10 days of being in the fruiting box? Then pins? Am I on the right track?

Thanks to all who've read my post.

--------------------
"The Power of Ten" -- the coolest non-drug mindfuck! See it at: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/

OfflineKaptainK
Pirate Guy

Loc: over there....
    #3174007 - 09/24/04 07:47 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

like muse said.

:smile:

good luck!

--------------------
A drug person can learn to cope with things like seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth, but no one should be asked to handle this trip.

:samurai:

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: XanaDude]
    #3174015 - 09/24/04 07:50 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineXanaDude
Stranger

Re: Newbie Casing Disaster -- is there hope? [Re: Citric]
    #3177875 - 09/25/04 01:44 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The reason I've got it on 12/12 light is because:

#1. I already had it incubating in darkness at 85 deg F for 4 days.

#2. I've read on other posts that the mycelium will continue to grow and spread 10-14 days before any pinning occurs.

At any rate, I'll keep a close watch on it.

BTW The rubbermaid is covered with saran wrap, but I'm fanning it a couple times a day. So far no sign of contams, just spotty, irregular growth of the mycelium.

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3177914 - 09/25/04 01:56 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I dont know why someone else hasn't pointed this out yet. But maunure isn't a non-nutritive casing material. It can be used as spawn but not usually as a casing. Now that that's out of the way, this should still work. I would use muses advice and put a layer of verm or another non-nutritive casing layer, and like domey said dont give light until it has fully colonized that "casing" layer that you had put on. Then give light and follow proper fruiting procedures.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3178276 - 09/25/04 06:54 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Offlineseatrip
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3178309 - 09/25/04 07:22 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

x you never made a caseing you made a nice bulk substrate look at the bulk teks, it should be kept dark for about 3 weeks till you see white every where and small dark spots and don't fan yet give it a small crack of air think of it as doing a regular jar.then when its ready ad sterilized moist verm/peat-moss verm/coir or just verm no More than half inch thick then add light. or if you add light now i think it will fruit only in places causing the myc to slow so wont finish the soil leaving poo for contams to eat. i seen this there was a fuzzy contam looked just like wispy myc was only found by a slight musty odor the few shrooms it grows this way were thrown away so be careful if you still add the light gl!

Edited by seatrip (10/10/04 12:28 AM)

Offlineseatrip
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie Casing Disaster -- is there hope? [Re: seatrip]
    #3178331 - 09/25/04 07:37 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

opps i ment your friend mr x has a nice bulk bin there and for you to pass my info to him if x gets any contams, dont trust it and it looks a little slow for 8 days but with good luck it could still finish.is it in a hepa filtered room?

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3178374 - 09/25/04 08:30 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Okay i guess i worded that poorly, I didn't mean to imply that you said it was a casing, i was stating what the origional poster had called and that you said he should give it light. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3178419 - 09/25/04 09:01 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Domey said no light and I agree that needs to be 100% colonized before initiating pinning, that is Basic Mycology 101! :wink: Sorry to see the premature ejac/initiation. :frown:

OfflineXanaDude
Stranger

Re: Newbie Casing Disaster -- is there hope? [Re: hyphae]
    #3179152 - 09/25/04 02:24 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR INPUT!  U GUYS ROCK!  :thumbup: 

Rubbermaid container is now moved back into incubation mode.

Sitting in dark closet with heating pad, confirmed temps at constant 83 deg F.  Relative humidity approx. 95%.

Mr. X will keep everyone posted.  Fingers and toes crossed!

--------------------

OfflineXanaDude
Stranger

#3179400 - 09/25/04 03:57 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I just realized something in re-reading the bulk growing tek's:

What I've essentially done is the "BULK NEGLECT TEK" as outlined in this link:

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23534

I guess everything's cool as long as I have no contams.

This white, whispy stuff contam that was mentioned: can you only identify it by smell? I do notice that the bin has a hint of a "sour" or tangy odor. Does this mean anything?

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3179659 - 09/25/04 05:04 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

What you want in this hobby is for the myc to colonize ASAP this gives it the upper hand over contams. Let her colonize in a warm dark environment and you'll be happier. That odor doesn't sound good :frown: GL and welcome XanaDude

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3181026 - 09/25/04 10:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I've found casings to have a weird co2 smell...not really sour persay but tangy maybe :smile: smells earthy weird...but then bacteria contams can smell sour so I'm not sure..hard to identify by describing a smell :smile: Agree with the rest your only on your substrate part not casing yet..the casing will only be partially colonized when you start fruiting it but the substrate needs to colonize in the dark warm place first :thumbup: good luck!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newbie Casing Disaster -- is there hope? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3181035 - 09/25/04 10:49 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

CO2 is totally odorless scatmanrav.

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

#3181045 - 09/25/04 10:52 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

It seems like its a little wet... I would reduce the amount of manure as well- but maybe if you reduced the water it would look like it had less manure.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3181050 - 09/25/04 10:53 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe its the peroxide, I use it in everything..dang it I wish I knew what the smell is, but its a smell besides mushrooms...maybe verm or calcium carbonate. Which brings me to something else..does anyone elses hands feel "hot" when mixing around their casing mix? Don't know if its the coir, verm or calcium carbonate that does this. Maybe this is what makes this smell. It's kind of tangy, kind of earthy, just what I felt co2 should smell like :smile: I smell it alot when I open a casing thats been covered and incubating for days too which is what led me to that conclusion..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newbie Casing Disaster -- is there hope? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3181064 - 09/25/04 10:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I know that peroxide smell for sure as well as that bleach, iodine, and the best smell healthy myc! Now that one ROCKS!!!! :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom