Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewidespreadpanic
Stranger
shrooms growing slowly
    #3172947 - 09/24/04 01:05 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hello everyone. I am currently in the process of my first grow. I have 4 brf/verm cakes (either B+ or malabar i cant remember) in a pmp with perlite and fish tank bubbler. The cakes starte pinning very slowly... after about 2.5 weeks in the fruiting chamber only 2 cakes had aobut 6 pins between the two, but now about a week later ive finally got tons of em. OF the first 6 or so pins i had, about half of them aborted and i have 3 now that have been growing for about a week, but they are only about an inch and a half or so. From what ive read i though they were supposed to go from pin to full grown in about a week. Also, the pins all seem to be growing very slowly. Over the last few days i have gotten many, many more pins, but even the ones that have been around for 4 days or so are still really small. My pmp stays at about 80 degrees all the time (my room gets damn hot becuase i have almost 700 watts of light over my reef tank). Will that high temp slow down the growth? Also, there is quite a bit of mycellium growing around the bottom of my 3 big shrooms' stems. Is that normal? unfortunetly i have no way to get pics of them =/

thanks in advance

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewidespreadpanic
Stranger
Re: shrooms growing slowly [Re: widespreadpanic]
    #3173044 - 09/24/04 01:26 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

oops sorry, didnt mean to put this in the advanced section

Offlinebeanchild
bean
    #3173059 - 09/24/04 01:30 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

could be strain, sometimes second flush is fatter but by the sounds of it, you should've left your jars in the incubator for another week and your air exchange may not be good, how many times are you fanning also a pmp with perlite? if using perlite,wet it to feild capacity with a strainer over the sink then fill bin 2 inches,thats it.no aquarium pump, thats for geolite,different texture and different story, also how are you birthing,double end casing or rolling? and did you dunk and shock?

Offlinebeanchild
bean
Re: shrooms growing slowly [Re: beanchild]
    #3173071 - 09/24/04 01:34 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

my god 700 watts are you growing herb there too, waaaaaay to hot too much light,prob drying your shit out,mushroom growing cake style is about water,water i repeat water... dunk juice whatever you need but loose the heavy light all you need is a room light or a window sunlight to give them direction to grow in,otherwise light is non beneficial also temps for fruiting should be around 70.

Offlinewidespreadpanic
Stranger
Re: shrooms growing slowly [Re: beanchild]
    #3173144 - 09/24/04 01:51 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

no no no lol... the 700 watt light is over a reef aquarium in my room, not the shroomies.

Offlinewidespreadpanic
Stranger
    #3173154 - 09/24/04 01:54 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

well the main reason for using the aquarium pump was for air exchange. I though if i had one going in there it would always be introducing fresh air, no? I birthed them, dunked for 24 hrs, rolled in verm, and then double end cased.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3173424 - 09/24/04 03:25 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

depends on your pump. some of the regular-sized pumps don't give enough air exchange to simulate all the fanning you need.

i'm growing B+, and your symptoms sound like mine. even though my incubation temps were always 82-88 degrees F, it took over a month to get full colonization. i cased 3 days ago and no sign of growth yet... so if it was B+, best bet's the strain. B+ is known for stalling at bad times.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: shrooms growing slowly [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3174867 - 09/24/04 02:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Air exchange is why you use the pump. Zero's right though if small pump and large aquarium and only one (possibly small) air wand or whatever on the end (not sure if this is true just guessing) you might need to fan once a day or two yourself just to make sure. Mycelium on the stems is normal! Its fun to squeeze too! Comes from high humidity (good!). You should get a bigger flush from that dunk and roll. Aborts are normal and shrooms can grow slower depending on strain.

Oh yeah and for the PmP with the aquarium pump you can use perilite it doesnt work as well because of the texture but it certainly does let air through.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation