Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehermanntrude
Stranger

ready made kits
    #3170499 - 09/23/04 03:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

what's the deal on things like the shroomshaker? they seem simple enough... do they give the yields they say they do? are they worth buying? is there a catch?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineinfinite420
truth seeker
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: ready made kits [Re: hermanntrude]
    #3170514 - 09/23/04 03:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

IMO, and from what ive read, nothing is better then doing the work yourself. My advice to you is READ READ READ. I know I myself dont have too many posts, but ive been a member here a while and spend most of my time just reading and searching, rather then asking questions right away. Theres a SHITLOAD of information on this website. For the experienced, a kit is possible of yielding what they say, but the experienced grower knows better then to ever buy a commercial kit. good luck

--------------------
"all you toucn and all you see, is all your life will ever be" - you know who -

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3170629 - 09/23/04 03:48 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hermanntrude said:
what's the deal on things like the shroomshaker? they seem simple enough... do they give the yields they say they do? are they worth buying? is there a catch?

from what i've heard ...they juice up the yeilds you'll get when they sell them to you... pmp... use it and get some yeilds... :tongue2:
read the faq...read Roadkills post and all the links three times...and grow some goodness :crazy2: :sun: :mushroom2:
read some more...
grow some more...
then post back and help a newb :peace:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW US
Re: ready made kits [Re: george castanza]
    #3170678 - 09/23/04 04:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I acutally think the growkits are awesome for a first grow. Its easy to understand and gives you an idea of how it works. About the yeilds, I would say some home fabricated casings and some tender loving care would produce much more, and its really satsifying to harvest something you cultivated from the start. Just my 2cents.

Offlinejon_funk
Stranger
Re: ready made kits [Re: vc77]
    #3170762 - 09/23/04 04:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm with VC77 on this in every way :smile:

Jonny

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3170794 - 09/23/04 04:24 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I agree that doing the work yourself is worth it. Forget yields - those of us here that don't sell have more than enough shrooms for life (if they didn't decay that is). I get enough satisfaction to more than make up for the trouble. PF tek + PMP > any kit for an easy first grow.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3170991 - 09/23/04 05:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

In my opinion the ready-made kits are kind of like cheating and it takes the fun out of the hobby. It skips over to many steps in the learning process. It is like 1 step away from just going and buying the final product from someone on the street. If everyone relied on kits like these then not only would it mean that the people that make the kits would be the only ones with the knowledge of how the entire process is done, but also with such a limited knowledge base the hobby would not have advanced to the point that it has. It is the fact that so many people have to start from scratch that causes new ideas in it's development to be formed. Necessity is the mother of invention. It is only by going through the entire process from start to finish that you can fully learn what is going on, and with the little mistakes you will make along the way you will be able to improve your technique. Once a mistake is made you will look for answers on how to correct that mistake or how to assure it is not made again. In this process of research you may discover a way of improving upon current techniques. What if all the wonderful people out there that have written and refined FAQs skipped over the learning process and just got grow bags? It would end the hobby altogether. It would turn it from a hobby and learning experience into a way of buying a product on the Internet instead of a person on the street. Half of the fun is supposed to be the journey. Also by skipping so far ahead in the process not only do you lose out on all the knowledge you would gain by reading everything you can on the subject but you also do not gain the most important and vital thing that is needed to grow and that is patience. Then when it comes time that you are tired of paying a ton for someone else to do all the work for you and you try to do it yourself you will rush the process because you are used to fast results. On top of all that you would miss out on that great feeling when the first pinning occurs and you know that you did that, you brought it to life from a microscopic spore all the way to the finished life form. How can you miss out on playing god by skipping ahead and just shooting up a bag? Just remember to read, read and then read again and take your time. Also just my 2 cents.

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW US
Re: ready made kits [Re: MadHatR]
    #3173150 - 09/23/04 11:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Your missing it all dude. Alot of people wouldn't even get into growing due to the general lazy nature of people if it wasn't for grow-kits. A person with little knowlage about mycology or how mushrooms work can obtain a grow kit, innoculate their substrate, and get a vague idea of the big picture. Generally almost every person who yeilds a grow kit will fall in love with the cultivating of psilocybin mushrooms and for the most part, many start doing research due to interest that was established through a simple, 40$ cheatbag. Who knows man, it might be a quick fix to get your ass fried for some people, but a simple project like a growkit will most definantly create sparks in the mind of someone who has no experience with growing. My 4cents.

I don't use em man, but they introduce many new growers into this world, which is good, the more mushrooms the better!  :mushroom2:

InvisibleSubGen1us

#3173185 - 09/24/04 12:02 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If i lived in a place where grow kits were legal id buy em all up.
Do u know how much time ud save buying a pure isolated strain??
it would make my life much easier.

--------------------

Offlinehaz
mycofunkatologist
Male

Loc: Earth!
    #3173187 - 09/24/04 12:03 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

basically the kits are for people that want to make a lot of money with as little effort as possible... My advice to those who consider kits... Get a real job like the rest of us, and enjoy the shrooms for what it is... a gift.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3173298 - 09/24/04 12:36 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, but without prior research chances are good that you lack the respect that should be given to the process and the mushrooms. When you have to do the amount of research and work that is needed to grow from scratch you gain respect and humility. Remember that someone that does not know what they are doing can not only cause harm to themselves but others. Without prior knowledge of possible dangers and over-confidence due to cockiness and being spoiled by not having to work for it you are handing them a possible weapon and saying "here, go play with this". While it is more difficult to contaim a grow bag it still can be done, and without the person knowing what to look out for they could easily poison themselves.

There are plenty of very easy to read FAQs with pictures which should be plenty to spark ones interest. If their interest is in the "hobby" there is a much greater chance that they will in time be a asset to the community and able to help other hobbies. If they just want a fast and easy way to make something for resale they will get in trouble and bring heat on the community.

Making computers easy to use by the masses has brought forth a whole generation that only knows how to play mindsweeper... :smile:

InvisibleSubGen1us

Re: ready made kits [Re: MadHatR]
    #3173354 - 09/24/04 01:00 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Do u

1: buy a bag of pot?

or

2: grow a plant to get the satisfaction of growing ur own?

seriously some people dont have the time or money to go all out.

there is the tripping experience and the growing experience.
this place isnt designed to be for 1 or the other but a community as a whole.

--------------------

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: ready made kits [Re: SubGen1us]
    #3173476 - 09/24/04 01:52 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That is buying a finished product compared to starting from scratch. It is not the same thing. I could get Festers instructions on making LSD and trying to do it myself or buying it premade, but I know that the process for making it is above me, so I know better than to try to make it and poisoning myself or frying my brain for good. It is not because I could not follow the directions correctly and end up with the finished product, it is because I have not read enough to fully understand the process and I know better than to try it without fully understanding it. That is just me though, not everyone is that responsible. I am not saying that no one should use the bags, I just don't feel it is recommended for most beginners. I would rather share knowledge with people that wish to become enthusiast instead of helping to make dealers. This is in no way directed at hermanntrude. I just see no reason in general to support the creation of sloppy dealers, I have seen enough of them go to jail. Like I said, it's just my 2 cents. That is the good thing about opinions, everyone gets one of there own. This is all hypothetical of course.

Offlinehermanntrude
Stranger

Re: ready made kits [Re: SubGen1us]
    #3173498 - 09/24/04 01:59 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

you know the only places they cant ship them to is the US and norway? cos they dont contain any psylocybin

Offlinehermanntrude
Stranger

#3173509 - 09/24/04 02:02 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think i'm with Vc77. I am starting a job (at a uni) soon and wont have the time for the full-out thing and i just wanna grow some. cut down on costs and maybe give some to my mates. I doubt i wanna sell any, considering that i'd be out of a job REALLY fast if anyone found out i'd been selling them from a flat on campus

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3173796 - 09/24/04 04:38 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

nothing wrong with a grow kit...just don't expect to get a huge yeild....but DO expect to get high.... :peace:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineRepton
Moon Ripened Sultan
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Midlothian Flag
    #3173814 - 09/24/04 04:59 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I cant wait to start growing, I looked into grow kits but i much prefer the idea of growing from scratch for that sense of true accomplishment :laugh:

--------------------
How I consume - Dry extract in capsules - guide with photos !
** p. Semilanceata spore prints **
If you're waiting on a PM reply don't worry I have taken a number of prints and should have these ready this week for trades/post, if you're interested in a print PM me and I'll work through them in order I can offer prints of the early fruiting spot that seems to start in July through to mid Oct and prints from specimens in my regular spots that tend to fruit later during the regular fungi season in the UK.

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: ready made kits [Re: Repton]
    #3173815 - 09/24/04 05:00 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Repton said:
I cant wait to start growing, I looked into grow kits but i much prefer the idea of growing from scratch for that sense of true accomplishment :laugh:

no doubt :thumbup:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3173872 - 09/24/04 06:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I recently started my first grow! *resounding cheer*

I also looked at the option of a grow bag, looked cool, nice idea and all, but I'm more of a hands on kinda guy, so I prepared jars and inevitably made my first mistakes, corrected them, and now I'm on my way, two days after innoculation, and two days left until I look at them for the first time since.  (Everything is probably contam'd  :mad: )

Anyway, you aren't a chump if you use a grow bag.  I've been thinking about ordering one just to innoculate and throw in the corner of my closet or something.

- Silven :mushroom2:

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: ready made kits [Re: Silven]
    #3173892 - 09/24/04 06:30 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Like I said, I am not saying that everyone will use them to skip the learning process and go straight to the business process. I just think people should know exactly what they are dealing with, if nothing else it makes for a safer trip. Plus if you are serious about growing chances are you will get a PC, then you just take a old verm bag and make your own grow bag for free by tossing everything in there, PCing it, letting it cool then sticking it and covering the hole. The bag is free, the PCing makes sure it is clean and it already has plenty of room for pinning and CO2 exchange. If need be you can even cut a hole in it and stick a nice little free tyvek disc in it. Just seems like a waste of money to pay someone else to do most of the work for you. You don't get the satisfaction of knowing you did it all yourself, and the cost is close to what you could just buy the finished product on the street for.

Also I know when I started if it wasn't for the people that came before me also having to do it all themselves there wouldn't have been anyone to answer questions. The only response I would get would be "I don't know, I just got a grow bag". :smile:

Just giving props to the people that came before that couldn't cut corners. They couldn't, so why should I. They are the ones smarter now with the biggest flushes. Just hoping to follow in their footsteps.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate