Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMcMushrooms420
Here but not really.....
 User Gallery

Newbie Casing Question
    #3166044 - 09/22/04 05:36 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hello All,
I all my friend is about to attempt his first grow and has some questions about casing.

- Which casing tek do you think is easiest for a newbie?
- Out of 12 pf jars how many should I put into casing?
- Which casing tek works best for you?

Thank you for your time any input would be great

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRetardedChemist
journeyman
Re: Newbie Casing Question [Re: McMushrooms420]
    #3166110 - 09/22/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Some suggest doing half of your jars and the rest just cakes so you get experience with both

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
    #3166144 - 09/22/04 06:00 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

the casing tek which would be the simplest would be the casing101 tek, its dam easy to follow. I agree with RC :thumbup: keep some as cakes and the rest as casings, becuase casings do get contaminated more easily. good luck :smile:

--------------------

OfflineMcMushrooms420
Here but not really.....
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie Casing Question [Re: aussieone]
    #3166215 - 09/22/04 06:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Think you could post a link of the casing101 tek I can't seem to find it. Thank you

OfflineMcMushrooms420
Here but not really.....
 User Gallery

#3166222 - 09/22/04 06:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

NM I'm an idiot I found it ty

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

#3166308 - 09/22/04 06:39 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

stright verm is easiest

then coco coir

then 50/50

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3168900 - 09/23/04 04:24 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

50/50+ is kramers favorite, but he only usesd it on spawned dung... the pmp is what he uses for everything else :thumbup:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newbie Casing Question [Re: george castanza]
    #3169404 - 09/23/04 10:08 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Half verm, half coco coir, little bit of calcium carbonate (just cover it with a thin layer, you want like 2% of overall volume) add water. Let it soak. mix WELL. Poor off excess water. Load into jars (I like to do 10 at a time, you'll need less) and pressure cook for 1 hour at 15 PSI. Use as needed.

The PCing some will say you dont need. I dont care, its an hour for enough casing mix to last me a week (or close to) just to be a little safer.

After PCing, break up your cakes two at a time (throw them in a bag and crumble them around until they form small balls like dime size) then pour into the tin pans. Cover with whatever casing mix you choose then wrap with saran wrap/tin foil and put back in your incubator. In 3 days' check them and everyday after that until you see myc comming through the casing layer in a number of spots. When you see that, you can either patch (put extra casing mix on top of the MYC ONLY to give the rest of the casing a chance to catch up for an even pinset) or put it directly into the fruiting chamber. Even if you patch right after you patch, spray it down with a hand mister dealy and put it into your fruiting chamber and wait about 7-14 days and you should have some pins.

I would use 2 cakes per tin foil pan casing. You can use more but I've found more surface area (ie pans) is better then thickness of the substrate.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3169431 - 09/23/04 10:15 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Cousin IT likes to use a mix of coir \verm \ peat , but for "starters" he says go with the 60\40 mix of coir\verm (less mixing ) mushies love it , ph is already neutral .
IT says depending on size of trays you plan on using kinda determines how much to use , but ultimately you should try to set up three small trays (2 jars per tray ) cased with aprox 3\8 inch of casing mix , and save the other 6 for a new setup in a couple of weeks .
Good Luck
May The Mushroom Goddess Bless All Your Endeavors !

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinezoltar
Hello I love youwont you tell meyour name?

Re: Newbie Casing Question [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3169453 - 09/23/04 10:18 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i thought calcium carbonate was only for 50/50+ casing mixtures??? am i mssing something here in the teks i thought it said you onl need it to adjust out the ph level of peat moss cause its too acidic. i mean im sure im wrong her but im pretty sure thats what i read.

--------------------
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
*note to any one reading my posts. any post pretaing to the cultivation of illegal psilocybe mushrooms are completely fictional. im a known pathological liar.

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Newbie Casing Question [Re: zoltar]
    #3169495 - 09/23/04 10:27 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Calcium carb is used to buffer ph levels , especially when using straight peat mixtures , peat tends to be a little acidic , but mushies do not mind if "slightly " acidic conditions prevail . If using a coir mix , buffering is a waste of time and materials , coir is neutral on the ph scale , at least all the coir I have used .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (09/23/04 10:28 AM)

Offlinezoltar

Re: Newbie Casing Question [Re: tripndicular]
    #3169511 - 09/23/04 10:30 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

yeah thats what i figured i but scatmanrav said he uses it on coir verm casings and i never read in any of the teks to do that with coir and verm only with peatmoss.

--------------------
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
*note to any one reading my posts. any post pretaing to the cultivation of illegal psilocybe mushrooms are completely fictional. im a known pathological liar.

Invisibletripndicular

#3169519 - 09/23/04 10:35 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

It is called "overkill" what scat is doing , and in" some cases" he could accidently swing the ph to a alkaline state which mushies truly hate , but cal carb tends to be a slow release , where as lime will defiently and easily swing it the opposite way .
Trial and error is best way to learn , and once you find what works best for you ... stick with it !

--------------------

Offlinezoltar

#3169544 - 09/23/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

one more questione i was planing on trying 50/50+ on my next grow and was wondering if bone meal would be an effective source of calcium carbonate or would the other stuff in it not be good for mushies??

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3169622 - 09/23/04 11:10 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well calcium carbonate is called for in some peoples casings who include it with coco coir. From what I read and researched before peat moss is acidic and NEEDS (works without it but works better in most peoples experience with it) calcium carbonate. Coco coir however is more neutral and doesn't need it BUT it can range depending on the brand from slightly acidic to neutral. I've never tested mine but someone who wrote a FAQ here for it (found in the casing ones, dont remember where but probably the 60/40 or a variation of it) mentioned adding a small amount of calcium carbonate (OPTIONAL). Now when I say small amount I'm talking about 1 cup to 10 full quarts of casing. I bought the calc carb when I planned on using peat moss cause I couldnt find coco coir but then found it and changed my mind and decided to use it anyway. I'll use it until I run out (it was a large tub and will last me another month or so) and then stop using it and see if I notice a change. Then I'll draw more conclusions. However for now..I have it so its a waste of nothing and if the mushrooms dont like it..they dont know how to tell me right cause they telling me they like the way I stroke them:

But your right and in some cases may be bad...I can't speak for all cases only my own and I am still new but drawing conclusions is as you said, trial an error. :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibletripndicular

#3169669 - 09/23/04 11:24 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zoltar said:
one more questione i was planing on trying 50/50+ on my next grow and was wondering if bone meal would be an effective source of calcium carbonate or would the other stuff in it not be good for mushies??

I am not 100% sure on this , but I believe bone meal may not be good for P.cube species . Look for ANNO and ask him he may have more in sight on this matter .

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newbie Casing Question [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3169791 - 09/23/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Casing buffers are for extended flushes and make little difference initially. Peat is the most acidic coming in at 4.7-5.5 and coir can range from 5.7-6.3 both will benefit from the addition of a long term buffer after several flushes. :wink: As far as bone meal I stay away because of the fact it can contain a protein that if inhaled can turn your brain into swiss cheese after a period of 20-30yrs. resulting in death, also there is no cure for this. If you want more information do a Google search on "bonemeal hazards" This threat has been around for decades only recently was it diagnosed. FYI

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Newbie Casing Question [Re: hyphae]
    #3169816 - 09/23/04 12:11 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

That explains my problem ... all them years of dumping it in my veggie garden turned my brain to swiss cheese ! :wink: Now for some ham and I'll be set !  :smile:

--------------------

Offlinezoltar

#3169838 - 09/23/04 12:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ok time to throw out that old box of bone meal i just have sitting around doing nothing, guess i gotta get my lazy cheap ass to the store and get some lime or some oyster shells. i will deffinetly be using calcium carbonate in all my casings from now on thanks for the heads up hyphae.

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

#3169870 - 09/23/04 12:24 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Be very carefull when using lime , it has a tendency of being "hot" meaning a very little can go a long way , and in many cases like I said before can swing the ph into the alkaline side of scale . Mushies really , really hate it when you try to grow them in alkaline side of scale , they do best in neutral ph , but do not mind a "slightly" acidic ph (like 5.8-6.5) . Cousin IT learned this the hard way the first time he used lime , in fact he threw away 10lb bag after one use , and sticks with coir and no buffer , and has great luck ever since .

If you did not know coir can be found at Petsmart , also known as BED A BEAST .

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate