Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Myc still good?
    #3168704 - 09/23/04 04:22 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

My cousin's uncle's pet dog sparky had several jars of myc, some rye, some WBS and some BRF that were fully colonized. They were stored in the fridge for several months, but then had to be stored only in a box in a somewhat cool place (60F - 75F). The tops were well sealed with either a ver seal or filter disc and taped down foil. No pinning occurred. What he needs to know is are they still good and usable for spawning via karro? A number of them have dark spots and are probably going to be tossed, they look mostly like spots caused by to much moisture. They type that start off as a light yellow discoloration, but why take chances. A few though are still a nice solid white. If jars are spawned from this what will the results be? Will it still produce, and if so will the product it produces be much lower in strength compared to ones taken from a fresh spore sheet? If it will cause weaker results is there any way to boost them back up in later generations by making new prints or cloning? Or should it all just be taken as a loss and new prints ordered?

Thanks in advance by sparky for any help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Myc still good? [Re: MadHatR]
    #3168923 - 09/23/04 06:58 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

should still be good ... one way to find out!
post back and let us know how it goes!

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Myc still good? [Re: george castanza]
    #3168982 - 09/23/04 07:41 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

More worried about loss in potency then anything else. Looks like no real contamination issues, and sparky has all the time in the world to wait for full colonization which I know can be a issue on old cakes, stalling and such, but I am sure he would hate inocing a bunch of jars with weak samples when he could just order a new print and have it in a few days. Also does it matter what is in the karro? Most of the ones in the local stores are light or flavored with vanilla. He has never done karro before, only honey and malt.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3168988 - 09/23/04 07:45 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It shouldn't affect the potency of the strain one bit. What made you think it would??? Just out of curiosity. What factors are going to affect potency is the type of substrate you use and/or additives that you have put in your substrate.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Myc still good? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3169004 - 09/23/04 08:04 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I figured a weakened strain would not be as healthy or potent, but I am sure if it is strong enough to fight off any contams and become the dominate strain it will get plenty of it's nutrients from the rye and later on the casing. At what point then do you toss out a cake? I figured they had to have some kind of shelf life. I'm sure if you karo it enough in time you will no longer be drawing spores up, just your karo-water, but shy of that it is good forever? And if so, what would be the advantages of making spore prints to have another generation to work off of?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3169525 - 09/23/04 12:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Myc can be stores in liquid cutures for months without loss of potency. You will know when you knock up some jars if it did for some reason loose any of its speed then you could just take a spore print and start new. Either way it should work well enough to get you going again. A karo jar doesnt really go bad that I'm aware of, I guess after months of use would slow down maybe? But every time you take some out you put in new karo water, then the myc eats that and replaces the myc you took out while your jars are colonizing, then when you need it again the myc you took out is replaced..so you never really suck up just karo water. You should always make some spore prints to keep for long term storage though just in case.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation