Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblefearfect
straw colonization
    #3168346 - 09/23/04 02:54 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I mixed 4 quarts of colonized rye into a 20 inch by 30 inch tub filled to 6 inches with straw on sunday.  It is wednesday night and the top is over 50% colonized (probably around 70%)... This is only 3-4 days after mixing it all up... I'm pretty sure the top should be done by the weekend at the rate its going.  Should I let it sit in there for another 3-7 days just to be sure its all colonized??  Thanks :laugh:

also, I have some baby casings of the same rye sitting around trying to colonize the casing layer, and its not colonizing it... at all.  The vermiculite I have seems to be the fine stuff,  I put a layer of wet verm on the bottom then an inch and a half of rye then some coco/verm on top.  the casing mix looks fairly dense.  Especially when I add water to the verm it seems to stick together like wet sand and become very dense.  Could this be why the mycelium isnt reaching through it?  I want to get my casing technique right, before I use the same on my straw. 

Oh and the casings have been sitting around for over a week now with no growth, its just stalled, which is strange because they grew like wildfire in the rye jars. They are NOT getting much air circulation (if any) right now. Could that be a major factor for completely stalling?  Note that none of the casing layer is colonized; i could just pour the casing layer off of the spongy mycelium covered substrate.

i wouldnt have gotten this far without all your help.  thanks again

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: straw colonization [Re: fearfect]
    #3168393 - 09/23/04 03:04 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Good luck on the big casing! Those grain ones might be yeast contamed. I always used straight coir and that stuff comes out with tons of air in it. And if your laying a almost mud like casing layer this might be suffocating the casings. Whats your coir/verm ratio?

Invisiblefearfect
Re: straw colonization [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3168409 - 09/23/04 03:09 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks! I hope it goes better then the little ones :smile: I eyeballed about 50/50.  maybe i got the water content off... i aimed for an amount where when squeezed a little would trickle down your hand.

Think it would work for me to ditch the current casing layer and redo it with maybe straight coir?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3169290 - 09/23/04 11:16 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I dont know about that mud stuff cutting off the air, works fine for me. I end up with a fairly thick casing layer. You didnt push or pat it down even lightly at all did you? Cause you wouldnt want to do that...you want to leave the valleys and such that the casing mix provides. Are they getting gas exchange? They do need a little air to breathe so if you covered them with the lid, that would be your problem and you need to get some foil or saran wrap that wont completly take away their air.

I have a question for you :smile: This straw casing, was it straight straw? No poo? I'm REALLY interested in how this turns out and in knowing how you prepared the straw. I use rye as it is alot and it works well but I've been wanting to try out straw but not poo. I've heard straw loses its nutrients after the first flush and then an ok second but thats all I really need before new ones can go in. I picked up a bale cause I was at the feed store and it was 7 bucks but its been sitting here ith me unsure what to do cause I havnt seen anyone just using straight straw. Please keep us (at least me in PMs) updated..

Oh and for water content, when its mixed in a bowl, try and tip it as if you were trying to pour water out of it. If water comes out, then you have to much, otherwise its fine. As long as theres no standing water you want the casing layer to hold as much water as it possibly can. If your using a clear container you can see if its a bacterial infection, the grain will looks sloppy and wet, if it looks healthy I'd say your ok. I'm still thinking you just put an airtight lid on them though. If you did wrap them up with saran wrap or tin foil but did so tightly, put a few holes in top for them to breathe.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblefearfect
Re: straw colonization [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3172971 - 09/24/04 01:10 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

ya, the casings are airtight, ill fix that asap.

I am colonizing straight straw from a minibale i got at michaels. No poo this time. I hope it turns out well... Check the grow logs forum for magash's straw log. He had nice results.

i just chopped the straw up, pasteurized it for little over an hour, let it drain for an hour, then put it in a tub and mixed in 4 quarts of colonized rye. Its colonizing this huge brick of straw extremely fast. The top layer is completely colonized now on day 4. Im gonna let it sit for a while longer to make sure it colonizes completely. After mixing up the colonized rye with the straw, I pushed as hard as i could on it to pack it very tight then put plastic furniture wrap on top and poked lots of holes with a fork in it. I can't remember which strain it is. I used GT and cambodian. One tub is colonizing about 30% faster then the other and i never labeled them so I won't be able to see which is which till after i get some fruits.

Thanks for the advice.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3173157 - 09/24/04 01:54 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Really? I love Magash's Rye stuff, I'll look for it..thanks. And thanks for the info. The gas exchange will fix it right up soon just wait a few more days (up to a week) and you should be set. I'm currently working on GT and cambodian myself, just worked alot with Z and Brazil and GT and Cambo are colonizing now (some cased and fruiting and in different stages). Awsome it sounds nice and simple...Can't wait!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Invisiblefearfect
    #3173225 - 09/24/04 02:14 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

im sorry, im out of my mind. it was crazychemist who inspired me to do this tek.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...;o=&fpart=1

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3173396 - 09/24/04 03:14 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

hehe, scat, you just answered a question i was about to ask. i'm not seeing colonization and i cased in ziplock #5 recyclable containers. i just redid all the casings with saran wrap and put them back in the incubator. hopefully a few more days will do me pretty good.

i also think the casing layer is a bit thick... how much is this going to slow me down? the casing layer's more like 75% of the depth of the colonized substrate i put in there...

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinezoltar
Hello I love youwont you tell meyour name?

Re: straw colonization [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3173554 - 09/24/04 04:37 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

whoa man way too thick of a casing layer dude you want it to be about1/4th of the depth of the substrate dude other wise you will deffinetly be slowed down alot and it may open you up to contams though i could be pulling that one out of my ass. anyway good luck to ya man.
may all of your mycological endevors be sucsessful ones.

--------------------
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
*note to any one reading my posts. any post pretaing to the cultivation of illegal psilocybe mushrooms are completely fictional. im a known pathological liar.

Invisiblefearfect
    #3174874 - 09/24/04 02:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i did as suggested. got another incubator setup last night and took off the lids and covered loosely with tin foil and this afternoon mycelium is poking through!!!

Offlinezoltar

#3174985 - 09/24/04 02:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

good job now patch and place it in your fruiting chamber to fruit.

--------------------
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
*note to any one reading my posts. any post pretaing to the cultivation of illegal psilocybe mushrooms are completely fictional. im a known pathological liar.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: straw colonization [Re: zoltar]
    #3175045 - 09/24/04 03:10 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Slow ya down a bit, not to much, a few days..might take you 5-9 days from when you saraned it to be ready to go in the fruiting chamber. Depends on the strain and other stuff though...

Great straw log and thank you very much! You have inspired me to get the straw out of the back of my jeep and pasturize it! Good luck on future endevors!

--------------------

Offlinezoltar

#3175098 - 09/24/04 03:22 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i was always under the impression that once the mycellium was poking thru the casing layer that the general rule of thumb was to patch and palce in the fruiting chamber. was i wrong on this one???

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: straw colonization [Re: zoltar]
    #3175220 - 09/24/04 03:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

My last post was talking to Zero (a couple posts up) I waited to reply, got busy harvesting a casing and some other replys came in. Anyways yeah when a number of spots (3-5) come up about the size of a nickel I patch and spray down with a mister (light h202 in the water) and put it in the fruiting chamber. Not a general rule of thumb but it works good for me and a couple other people I know! :smile: Good luck!

--------------------

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3175256 - 09/24/04 03:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

shit dude.

the casings are still in my incubator, but when i looked at the temp. this morning (constant hassle for me) i had pins growing on a few spots in my biggest casing. weird? i don't have myc. coming up on any of my casings, but on all of my casings i have either pinning or knotting going on... just right at the surface in a few spots. hrm, it's kinda odd.

i'm planning on waiting for the spots to get bigger, it's not like they aren't getting high humidity and fresh air all the time. hell, the fruiting chamber is around 70% RH right now, it jumped up 10-15% when i put those casings in there.

sound good? i haven't even tried to get pinning yet and it's pinning on me. since i have pins, i'm not going to cold shock and risk slowing them down. i am, however, going to introduce light, lower CO2, and lower temps at the same time.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: straw colonization [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3175291 - 09/24/04 03:59 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Huh? Yout dont have myc on the syrfuce but you have knots and pins on the surface? Maybe the myc is just below but if you look closly (and didnt pat down the casing layer like you shouldnt have) you should see the white right there. If you have spots of myc then you need to throw it in the fruiting chamber especially with pins comming!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation