Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineh2o
Stranger
Realm of the Mushroom God
    #3166898 - 09/22/04 10:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hi all...

I recently moved to the Forks, Washington area on the Olympic Peninsula. I hadn't had much interest in shrooms until a friend recently introduced me to King Boletes...we picked nearly a hundred pounds in two days...supposedly this year was slow for them!!

Here's a pic of one of the nicer, more fully developed specimens I found...

I just returned this afternoon from a forty mile hike in Olympic National Park on which I saw literally hundreds of different species of mushroom....alas I am only sure of the edibility of king boletes and chantrelles.

Seems a shame that I live in the realm of the mushroom god and only know two species which are edible...

I'm a novice, so I have a bajillion questions for the experts on this forum, I'll try not to hammer you guys with them all at once. What I'd most like to know is, if you lived where I live what would you be out looking for right now and where (habitat) would you look?

The king boletes are almost done I think, I could pick chantrelles until my back breaks...I'd like to pick some mushrooms that have a decent market value like matsutakes, if they can be found in my area.

I didn't take my camera on my hike (@#$%!!!) but my partner did...I should have some decent pics to post of the wide variety we found, including what I believe to be amanita muscaria found at over 6000ft...

Anyway, your thoughts and advice appreciated...it wouldn't hurt to know what kind of 'active' mushrooms I might expect to find in my neck of the woods as well...

Thanks...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Realm of the Mushroom God [Re: h2o]
    #3167151 - 09/22/04 11:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

That's one large King. So the Chantrelles are fruiting like mad around Forks? Hmm, maybe I'll hop on a ferry this weekend and go on a hike.

As for actives... Psilocybe azurescens should be going strong about a month from now. Most people hunt them in southwest Washington or northeast Oregon. But I'm certain that living in a remote place like Forks would not only provide some prime beach dune habitat perfect for hunting, but also you won't be competing with the "known" locations popular with hunters and state troopers alike.

A close second would be Psilocybe cyanescens. They like urban areas. Forks isn't real big, but I'm sure you have a few parks in town. Learn the habitat and you might get lucky.

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Loc: Washington State
    #3167220 - 09/22/04 11:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Aren't those Boletes Edulis amazing?????? First time I ever saw them I was camping out on the coast by the Columbia River. OMG! I woke up in the morning and they had spiked up overnight!

I brought back on that had to be about 8 inches tall. There were some pros that showed up about 1/3 hour after I discovered them everywhere and they wiped them out in no time. Had big rucksacks full of them.

That was the year I learned about the King Boletes!

Have fun! It becomes pretty addictive.

L

--------------------
"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi

Offlineh2o
Stranger
Re: Realm of the Mushroom God [Re: freedomseeker]
    #3167270 - 09/22/04 11:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Here's a pic of the same bolete in its natural state...

...and for those of you that need pictorial evidence, here we are cleaning a portion of that days haul...

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #3167328 - 09/22/04 11:53 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

That's a lot of shrooms! Are you going to sell those or something? Or planning on serving the entire town of Forks a free dinner?

Offlineh2o
Stranger
Re: Realm of the Mushroom God [Re: Stymee]
    #3167399 - 09/23/04 12:00 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

hehe...its a LONG drive to Seattle but that's where the $market$ is!

If we hit the mother lode before they die off completely for the year we'll road trip them down to napa valley, maybe even the SF area to get the best prices.

Here's some questions for you...

...how long can we expect the boletes to keep emerging? What triggers them to emerge? I heard they may also come up in the spring...true? The same patch even?

ack...i feel like a dim bulb....I'll trade anyone willing to help me with good info all the good fishing info they could ever want in return!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification