Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
Millions Blocked from Voting in U.S. Election (nov 2 2004)
    #3164413 - 09/22/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...paign_vote_dc_3

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Millions of U.S. citizens, including a disproportionate number of black voters, will be blocked from voting in the Nov. 2 presidential election because of legal barriers, faulty procedures or dirty tricks, according to civil rights and legal experts.

The largest category of those legally disenfranchised consists of almost 5 million former felons who have served prison sentences and been deprived of the right to vote under laws that have roots in the post-Civil War 19th century and were aimed at preventing black Americans from voting.

But millions of other votes in the 2000 presidential election were lost due to clerical and administrative errors while civil rights organizations have cataloged numerous tactics aimed at suppressing black voter turnout. Polls consistently find that black Americans overwhelmingly vote for Democrats.

"There are individuals and officials who are actively trying to stop people from voting who they think will vote against their party and that nearly always means stopping black people from voting Democratic," said Mary Frances Berry, head of the U.S. Commission on Human Rights.

Vicky Beasley, a field officer for People for the American Way, listed some of the ways voters have been "discouraged" from voting.

"In elections in Baltimore in 2002 and in Georgia last year, black voters were sent fliers saying anyone who hadn't paid utility bills or had outstanding parking tickets or were behind on their rent would be arrested at polling stations. It happens in every election cycle," she said.

In a mayoral election in Philadelphia last year, people pretending to be plainclothes police officers stood outside some polling stations asking people to identify themselves. There have also been reports of mysterious people videotaping people waiting in line to vote in black neighborhoods.

Minority voters may be deterred from voting simply by election officials demanding to see drivers' licenses before handing them a ballot, according to Spencer Overton, who teaches law at George Washington University. The federal government does not require people to produce a photo identification unless they are first-time voters who registered by mail.

"African Americans are four to five times less likely than whites to have a photo ID," Overton said at a recent briefing on minority disenfranchisement.

Courtenay Strickland of the Americans Civil Liberties Union testified to the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights last week that at a primary election in Florida last month, many people were wrongly turned away when they could not produce identification.

BLACKS' BALLOTS REJECTED

The commission, in a report earlier this year, said that in Florida, where President Bush (news - web sites) won a bitterly disputed election in 2000 by 537 votes, black voters had been 10 times more likely than non-black voters to have their ballots rejected and were often prevented from voting because their names were erroneously purged from registration lists.

Additionally, Florida is one of 14 states that prohibit ex-felons from voting. Seven percent of the electorate but 16 percent of black voters in that state are disenfranchised.

In other swing states, 4.6 percent of voters in Iowa, but 25 percent of blacks, were disenfranchised in 2000 as ex-felons. In Nevada, it was 4.8 percent of all voters but 17 percent of blacks; in New Mexico, 6.2 percent of all voters but 25 percent of blacks.

In total, 13 percent of all black men are disenfranchised due to a felony conviction, according to the Commission on Civil Rights.

"This has a huge effect on elections but also on black communities which see their political clout diluted. No one has yet explained to me how letting ex-felons who have served their sentences into polling booths hurts anyone," said Jessie Allen of the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University.

Penda Hair, co-director of the Advancement Project, which seeks to ensure fair multiracial elections, recently reported that registrars across the country often claimed not to have received voter registration forms or rejected them for technical reasons that could have been corrected easily before voting day if the applicant had known there was a problem.

Beasley said that many voters who had registered recently in swing states were likely to find their names would not be on the rolls when they showed up on Election Day.

"There is very widespread delay in the swing states because there have been massive registration drives among minorities and those applications are not being processed quickly enough," she said.

sorry if this is a repeat, but i saw it on yahoo news on the front page so i figured it would be new.

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
Re: Millions Blocked from Voting in U.S. Election (nov 2 2004) [Re: guri]
    #3164452 - 09/22/04 11:39 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

guri said:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Millions of U.S. citizens, including a disproportionate number of black voters, will be blocked from voting in the Nov. 2 presidential election because of legal barriers, faulty procedures or dirty tricks, according to civil rights and legal experts.

Legal barriers? You mean we'll apply the law equally to everyone? How dare they!
Quote:

The largest category of those legally disenfranchised consists of almost 5 million former felons who have served prison sentences and been deprived of the right to vote under laws that have roots in the post-Civil War 19th century and were aimed at preventing black Americans from voting.

Er,ok, thats totally legal. Didn't stop Clinton from winning, or any of the other democrats since 19th century, did it? I'd also like some source that these laws were created to oppress Tyrone.
Quote:

But millions of other votes in the 2000 presidential election were lost due to clerical and administrative errors while civil rights organizations have cataloged numerous tactics aimed at suppressing black voter turnout. Polls consistently find that black Americans overwhelmingly vote for Democrats.

So the majority of clerics are racist and trying to push for Bush's win? Where DONT you see a conspiracy theory? I don't think that I had to identify my race when I registered to vote, it's been a while though.
Quote:

"There are individuals and officials who are actively trying to stop people from voting who they think will vote against their party and that nearly always means stopping black people from voting Democratic," said Mary Frances Berry, head of the U.S. Commission on Human Rights.

"To further support this, I'll offer no proof or evidence of any sort", Mary continued.
Quote:

"In elections in Baltimore in 2002 and in Georgia last year, black voters were sent fliers saying anyone who hadn't paid utility bills or had outstanding parking tickets or were behind on their rent would be arrested at polling stations. It happens in every election cycle," she said.

lol, who the hell did this? Is their any real proof of this happening? Was Gee Dub using his copier to affect this action?
Quote:

In a mayoral election in Philadelphia last year, people pretending to be plainclothes police officers stood outside some polling stations asking people to identify themselves. There have also been reports of mysterious people videotaping people waiting in line to vote in black neighborhoods.

This sounds like the most unsubstantiated crock of horse shit I've had to read in weeks. People "videotaping" black men voting scares them? Is that because black men can't go more than 10 minutes without commiting some sort of crime?
Quote:

Minority voters may be deterred from voting simply by election officials demanding to see drivers' licenses before handing them a ballot, according to Spencer Overton, who teaches law at George Washington University. The federal government does not require people to produce a photo identification unless they are first-time voters who registered by mail.

So simply because one can conceive of a scheme to do something, it means it's probable, or that it's happened already? Idiotic, straw-man, red-herring, pick your choice of label for this tom-foolery.
Quote:

"African Americans are four to five times less likely than whites to have a photo ID," Overton said at a recent briefing on minority disenfranchisement.

Er, why? dem's nots be getsin da card fo da free cheese?
Quote:

Additionally, Florida is one of 14 states that prohibit ex-felons from voting. Seven percent of the electorate but 16 percent of black voters in that state are disenfranchised.

I thought that was a federal law? Why are those voters "disenfranchised"? bcause they robbed a bank? lol, horrible white men making people pay for their crimes.. "Yo ossifuh, I beez robbed a bank N shitz bu I wanza vote for muthafuckin Kerry soz da gummint can be gibbin me mo money foo cracka!"
Quote:

In other swing states, 4.6 percent of voters in Iowa, but 25 percent of blacks, were disenfranchised in 2000 as ex-felons.

I wonder why they NEVER mention how many foo honkies were "disenfranchised"? Oh thats right, fuck whitey, we are the LIBERAL media writing this story.. n/m
Quote:

In Nevada, it was 4.8 percent of all voters but 17 percent of blacks; in New Mexico, 6.2 percent of all voters but 25 percent of blacks.

So you are saying that blacks are more likely to commit felonies, right?
Quote:

In total, 13 percent of all black men are disenfranchised due to a felony conviction, according to the Commission on Civil Rights.

holy fuck! THIRTEEN PERCENT OF ALL BLACK MEN ARE CONVICTED FELONS?!!?!? Thats fucking insane. It's horrific and indicitive of our liberal times when peopel can look at that statistic and relate it to loosing your franchise.
Quote:

"This has a huge effect on elections but also on black communities which see their political clout diluted. No one has yet explained to me how letting ex-felons who have served their sentences into polling booths hurts anyone," said Jessie Allen of the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University.

"Of course, we have yet to complain about it for white voters, but fuck them, they won't vote for democrats, so us hippy whacko liberals just don't care. Vote Chomsky!", Allen continued.
Quote:

"There is very widespread delay in the swing states because there have been massive registration drives among minorities and those applications are not being processed quickly enough," she said.

I don't know why she used the word "because" in her statement. If that TRUElY is the causal factor, thats one thing. When Rabble-Rousing liberal's round up bums to vote and pay them in cigarettes and crack, it takes some time to process their paperwork.

Typical horseshit.

Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
Re: Millions Blocked from Voting in U.S. Election (nov 2 2004) [Re: retread]
    #3164500 - 09/22/04 11:48 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i just think its wrong that if you serve jail time you cant vote for you countries future all thou you have been "rehabiliated" or whatever the word they use today.

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

OfflineDigitalDuality
enthusiast

Re: Millions Blocked from Voting in U.S. Election (nov 2 200 [Re: guri]
    #3164717 - 09/22/04 12:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

^
Exactly, do the crime, do the time... after that you should be a free man. Considering that many people get charged for having felony amount of drugs.. or are distibuting drugs.. now they are no longer allowed to vote for canidates that support medicinal marijuana or drug legalization... Banning ex-felons from voting reeks of Jim Crow laws..

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
Re: Millions Blocked from Voting in U.S. Election (nov 2 2004) [Re: guri]
    #3164723 - 09/22/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I totally agree. However, thats just the way it is. Why don't you either focus on changing the law, or more importantly, find a way for THIRTEEN PERCENT OF BLACK MALES TO STOP FUCKING COMMITING FELONIES! I mean, this isn't a "Jerome gots a dime bag" kind of thing, it's a VIOLENT CRIME. Geez...

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Millions Blocked from Voting in U.S. Election (nov 2 200 [Re: retread]
    #3164796 - 09/22/04 12:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

retread said:
it's a VIOLENT CRIME. Geez...

I have friends who are felons who have never violated a persons rights. They don't steal. They don't fight. They don't rape, murder, or assault people. Over one ounce of weed here is a felony. Growing mushrooms is a felony. Posessing mushrooms is a felony. Many of the crimes are violent, but not all (or even perhaps most) are.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Millions Blocked from Voting in U.S. Election (nov 2 200 [Re: guri]
    #3165380 - 09/22/04 03:14 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

This is a 'News' story?

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
Re: Millions Blocked from Voting in U.S. Election (nov 2 200 [Re: z@z.com]
    #3166595 - 09/22/04 07:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

z@z.com said:
Quote:

retread said:

I have friends who are felons who have never violated a persons rights. They don't steal. They don't fight. They don't rape, murder, or assault people. Over one ounce of weed here is a felony. Growing mushrooms is a felony. Posessing mushrooms is a felony. Many of the crimes are violent, but not all (or even perhaps most) are.

So you think that the majority of young black men who commited felonies were comitting some victimless crime? hah

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Millions Blocked from Voting in U.S. Election (nov 2 200 [Re: retread]
    #3166644 - 09/22/04 07:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

retread said:
Quote:

z@z.com said:
Quote:

retread said:

So you think that the majority of young black men who commited felonies were comitting some victimless crime? hah

I don't see what's so funny. Last I heard, the majority of people in prison are there for drugs, and a majority of them are black.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Millions Blocked from Voting in U.S. Election (nov 2 200 [Re: silversoul7]
    #3166722 - 09/22/04 08:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think most of them are actually there for putting holes in 50 cent. Not really a crime in my book but hey, I don't write the laws, I just avoid them.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds