Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleNOS4A2
Sh!tApple

Loc: notfarfromtheshittree Flag
Getting my all my eggs in one basket
    #3165865 - 09/22/04 07:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

My friendly neighborhood squirrel has just started to grow using the grain spawn process. It's going well... all most too well. He's getting nervous about not having enough terrarium space for all the grain. He's wondering what methods have been made to figure out how to keep a continuous supply of spawn comming to replenish casings, yet not waste time making more than what you need. He's just finishing an automated stainless steel chamber that can hold 2-3 lasagne pans plus some and a couple aquariums (5&10 gal). About 9 qts are in the making. Any help is appr.!

--------------------
Hail to the King, Baby
CulturingTech

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting my all my eggs in one basket [Re: NOS4A2]
    #3168895 - 09/23/04 06:15 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

sounds like you have it under control....

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting my all my eggs in one basket [Re: george castanza]
    #3169371 - 09/23/04 12:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Indeed, not sure what you want help with. How much you need will depend on your needs and only you can tell that. Then just make more or less as you need. Its hard to make exactly what you need cause you have to account that you could get poor flushes and/or contams which drastically reduces your estimated numbers. I'd make a liquid culture of your favorite strain and then use as needed.

Grain jars take about 10 days from liquid culture (2cc's) (but may vary depending on factors) so if you start them right about when you hit your second flush (adjust time depending on what you find to work) they should be done when you need then by the time the third flush is done.
5 days for second flush to grow, 5 days for 3rd flush to start (by now the jars are done, case them, then back into incubator for 3-5 days), 5 days for 3rd flush to grow while the casing layer colonizes. Now whatever casings you have (new ones) stick in your chamber replacing with the oldest ones first just in case you didnt make enough (lost some jars or something) to replace them all.

Casings of rye seem to just keep putting out for 6 or more flushes at least a few shrooms so what I do is just leave my closet filled and make new casings as quick as I can. I didnt fill up my closets at once so there are some casings at all stages from brand new to first flush, second flush, 3rd, 4th, even 5th flushes. New casings (can only do a few at a time, like a dozen or so, not enough to replace but a small chunk of them) replace oldest ones that produced the fewest on there last flush. Otherwise they are kept until they contam or stop producing (only one has contamed, my second ever and none have stopped producing before being replaced).

Just some rambled thoughts that I think was kinda what you were looking for, just some ideas on how to work the whole thing...it'll fall into place once you find your favorite strain it'll be more predictable and you can time everything fairly well and predict your outcome. Well I don't know if it helped but good luck! :thumbup:

Edit:
Oh and if you made to much grain this time, although one quart per casing is really all you need you can put 1 1/2 or 2 quarts and make some really thick casings. They'll last for more flushes and put out bigger shrooms, especially the higher flushes (like 2nd, 3rd, 4th flushes). Not enough to really make it worth it normally but if you have extra spawn when you sit down to make casings, just make some casings extra thick for a little extra omph. Overall though I've found surface area to be better then thickness (within reason).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (09/23/04 12:03 PM)

Offlineevilchipmunk
All your nutsare belong tome.

Re: Getting my all my eggs in one basket [Re: NOS4A2]
    #3169390 - 09/23/04 12:05 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

You could also use the extra grain (if you end up with any) to spawn an outdoor patch.

--------------------
George Dubya Bush's Resume.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting my all my eggs in one basket [Re: evilchipmunk]
    #3169549 - 09/23/04 12:44 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Good thought! :thumbup:

No where for me to do that here so I had written that off in my mind long ago (outdoor grows) and forget its an option for others sometimes.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleNOS4A2
Sh!tApple

Loc: notfarfromtheshittree Flag
Re: Getting my all my eggs in one basket [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3169638 - 09/23/04 01:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Thanx
sorry I was a little vague but you actually answered my Q
Things I can use the extra spawn for was very helpfull

--------------------
Hail to the King, Baby
CulturingTech

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation