Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
How can humans deem themselves as "intelligent life"..
    #3164294 - 09/22/04 12:56 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

When a majority of them seem to be completely naive arrogant assholes?

Sure, the potential for intelligence may be there, but it seems to me a significant number of people who seem to think we as humans are 'special', have 'evolved' into their own little dignified sense of self-importance and as such have somehow convinced themselves that they should be treated with respect regardless how they treat those around them. Anybody else notice this?

Any ideas as to how so many self-proclaimed 'intelligent' humans may have inadvertently devolved into such a deluded abyss?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: How can humans deem themselves as "intelligent life".. [Re: ekomstop]
    #3164334 - 09/22/04 01:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

>>>Intelligent life

On a relative scale: HA :rofl:

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3164370 - 09/22/04 01:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

intelligence -- (the ability to comprehend; to understand and profit from experience)

ps: if they "seem to think", let them. what is it to you annyways?  :thumbup:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3165104 - 09/22/04 03:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

We may suck, but we are all we have...therefore we ARE intelligent life.

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3165145 - 09/22/04 04:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

How can humans deem themselves as "intelligent life"...When a majority of them seem to be completely naive arrogant assholes?

Intelligent life does not equate to intelligent action.Even the most intelligent people make the stupidest mistakes.Either intentionally or unintentionally.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3165173 - 09/22/04 04:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

In case you hadn't noticed, intelligence is relative. Humans, no matter how stupid, naive, or arrogant, are capable of conceptual thought and self-awareness, two things which are lacking in the rest of the animal kingdom(as far as we can tell). When we find something more intelligent, we'll let you know.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Re: How can humans deem themselves as "intelligent life".. [Re: silversoul7]
    #3165426 - 09/22/04 05:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

yeah, thanks for clarifying that. I guess I should have made clear that I was trying to make a point based on the apparent wide-spread arrogance in our species now days. The term "intelligent life" just sounds somewhat misleading to me, relative to the large number of people who don't seem to give a shit in these times.

I work with alot of people/customers every day, and I guess that is what triggered me to write this. It seems a pretty high number of them act like conceited bastards who think they are too good for this world. I guess I was just using this place to vent a bit. Sorry if I came off as sounding like one one of the people I was trying to describe.

OfflineStinky
Toaster ofPop-tarts

#3165675 - 09/22/04 06:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You're thinking of two different definitions of the word "intellegent". Yes, humans are intellegent in that we can comprehend abstractions and symbols and learn. But some humans are not intellegent, because the wrong choices are sometimes made. Two different things..

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #3165697 - 09/22/04 06:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ekomstop said:
When a majority of them seem to be completely naive arrogant assholes?

Sure, the potential for intelligence may be there, but it seems to me a significant number of people who seem to think we as humans are 'special', have 'evolved' into their own little dignified sense of self-importance and as such have somehow convinced themselves that they should be treated with respect regardless how they treat those around them. Anybody else notice this?

Any ideas as to how so many self-proclaimed 'intelligent' humans may have inadvertently devolved into such a deluded abyss?

Well, your comments may be a bit tainted with your own frustration, anger and negativity about maybe life in general...but your but another good example of why the general public thinks human race is inteligent life....

I could think that your not very inteligent to think that your rant isnt going to make any difference as to what the majority of people belive in the world, but then again, your smart enough to know that nothing is ever final, and that maybe we arent the most intelegent people....

So good point my fellow inteligent human being! Lol...and I dont even know how to spell inteligence correct half the time and Im still considered part of the human race!

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
    #3165896 - 09/22/04 07:09 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Because intelligence is a human perceived symbol, and being human, it is easy to apply it onto ourselves. Sure some people may not be intelligent in your view, but relative to them, and their use of the symbol, they can be.

It's like, "I think therefore I am" :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3166036 - 09/22/04 07:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Why can't someone use intelligence to be an awesome asshole to gain fear based power over others, or be arrogant about how intelligent they are, or use intelligence to fake naivete to get out of a jam?

Who ever said intelligence was equated with being nice and considerate? People with downs syndrome (semi retarded) love to give hugs and are very sweet and patient in general.

Look at all of the evil dudes in movies trying to take over the world. Whats the one thing their greedy mean characters all have in common? High intelligence.

Did you really meant to ask
Where is the love??????????????????????

I think in this world, being loving, humble, kind, generous, compassionate and considerate is seen as a weakness. Until these attributes are held in regard of being the ultimate strengths one can bestow.....................................

Just flying in from another angle on this!

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3166061 - 09/22/04 07:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The majority of people are 'spiritually unconscious'.. that is, they are identified with their mind/ego and hence let their egoic minds run their actions/lives/etc. This is a very deep and major root of why "a majority of them seem to be completely naive arrogant assholes..".

Most of the so-called bad things that happen in people's lives are due to unconsciousness. They are self-created, or rather ego-created.
Ego is the unobserved mind that runs your life when you are not present as the witnessing consciousness, the watcher. The ego perceives itself as a separate fragment in a hostile universe, with no real inner connection to any other being, surrounded by other egos which it either sees as a potential threat or which it will attempt to use for its own ends. Some of the ego's strategies are extremely clever yet they never truly solve any of its problems, simply because the ego itself is the problem.

When egos come together, whether in personal relationships or in organizations or institutions, "bad" things happen sooner or later, drama of one kind or another, in the form of conflict, problems, power struggles, emotional or physical violence, and so on. This includes collective evils such as war, genocide, and exploitation -- all due to massed unconsciousness. Furthermore, many times of illness are caused by the ego's continuous resistance, [to various situations which causes suffering and pain] which creates restrictions and blockages in the flow of energy through the body. When you reconnect with Being and are no longer run by your mind, you cease to create those things. You do not create or participate in drama anymore.

Whenever two or more egos come together, drama of one kind or another ensues. But even if you live totally alone, you still create your own drama. When you feel sorry for yourself, that's drama. When you feel guilty or anxious, that's drama. When you let the past or future obscure the present, you are creating time, psychological time -- the stuff out of which drama is made.
Whenever you are not honoring the present moment by allowing it to be, you are creating drama.

Most people are in love with their particular life drama. Their story is their identity. The ego runs their life. They have their whole sense of self invested in it. Even their -- usually unsuccessful -- search for an answer, a solution, or for healing becomes part of it. What they fear and resist most is the end of their drama. As long as they are their mind, what they fear and resist most is their own awakening.

When you live in complete acceptance of what is, that is the end of all drama in your life. Nobody can even have an argument with you, no matter how hard he or she tries. You cannot have an argument with a fully conscious person. An argument implies identification with your mind and a mental position. The result is that the polar opposites become mutually energized. These are the mechanics of unconsciousness. You can still make your point clearly and firmly, but there will be no reactive force behind it, no defense or attack. So it won't turn into drama. When you are fully conscious, you cease to be in conflict. No one who is at one with himself can even conceive of conflict. This refers not only to conflict with other people but more fundamentally to conflict within you, which ceases when there is no longer any clash between the demands and expectations of what your mind and what is.

Read the following quote closely:

"PSYCHOLOGICAL SUNSHINE

There is a psychological law with enough sunshine to cheer up the
most gloomy and defeated person on earth. Here it is: No man know-
ingly works against his own true nature. Before reading on, review
that sentence. Even a glimpse of its significance can start your
life on the upward path.

The word 'knowingly' deserves special attention. Any action taken
against ourselves is performed unconsciously. Because we have not
studied ourselves we do not see how we step on our own toes. As a
simple example, Mr. A puts pressure on Mr. B, perhaps socially, po-
litically, religiously, in office or home. The very wish to apply
pressure is Mr. A's own punishment, for no one can hurt another
without already having that hurt within himself.

Since it is psychic sleep that makes us work against ourselves,
the solution is obvious. We must wake up. It is the awakening of
self-knowledge that does the work for us.

From now on, be on your own side." ~Vernon Howard, Spiritual Guru.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Edited by SkorpivoMusterion (09/22/04 08:52 PM)

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Re: How can humans deem themselves as "intelligent life".. [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3169289 - 09/23/04 11:16 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Northernsoul:  Dude that was real nice to wake up to..these replies have uplifted my day already, I think I'm actually going to head in to work today in a GOOD MOOD! 

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:Did you really meant to ask
Where is the love??????????????????????

yeah, when you really break it down I guess this is presicely what I was leaning toward.  Your point of view shines as always jiggy :smile:

Skorpivo:  Man, if you end up writing a book you better announce it here.  I think I'm gonna end up printing out your post and throwing it into my scrapbook. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Peace S&P!  :mushroom2:

InvisiblePaou
Seeker

Loc: Transcendence
    #3170961 - 09/23/04 07:05 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think you're selling the human race short, man. If you get to know people a little better, I think you'll find there's geniune love and kindness within each of us. Sure, we have things like war and famine, just like we've always had, but that doesn't mean we're devolving. Maybe the path to peace looks like chaos from where we're standing.

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Re: How can humans deem themselves as "intelligent life".. [Re: Paou]
    #3171041 - 09/23/04 07:24 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Like I said I was in a pretty shitty mood when I wrote that.. I agree with you and basically everthing everybody has said full heartily.

Of course there were some more assholes to deal with at work today, but that's ok. What can ya do other than just deal with it and try to be nice in return

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
    #3171067 - 09/23/04 07:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

From personal experience i seem to have my intelligence slipping away from me as i get older. Nowadays, i am only clouded by certain thoughts.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology