Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Help Me Help Myself
    #3162425 - 09/21/04 09:23 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I was finishing my high school through correspondence and was struggling to get myself to do my english. I got half way through then stopped doing it all together, that was about 3 months ago. I just don't really care or have any motivation to do it. I know I probably wont make as much money or have as many job opportunities without my high school diploma, but I just don't care. I know I might care someday, but still I can't get myself to do it. I guess I'm lazy as fuck, especially when it comes to things that don't really matter.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Help Me Help Myself [Re: barfightlard]
    #3162470 - 09/21/04 09:30 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I have a GED under my belt and went to college.

I don't suggest dropping out. I regret it.

--------------------
Agent 727

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3162493 - 09/21/04 09:34 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You should try to get your GED. Motivate yourself somehow because not having at least a HS diploma is a fast track to nowhere. Unless you like having menial, low paying jobs. (not intended as a flame, just something for you to think about..)

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Help Me Help Myself [Re: MAGnum]
    #3162503 - 09/21/04 09:36 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I only had a little colledge though.

--------------------
Agent 727

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #3162578 - 09/21/04 09:51 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Wow, you have a lot in common with my brother...

- No HS diploma, missing an english credit
- Tried correspondance and gave up on it 3 or 4 months ago
- He lives in southern ontario too

Just a little coincidence which caught my attention, heh.

As long as you don't mind, then it shouldn't be a big deal. The fact you posted about it though shows that on some level you do care. You just need to evaluate your plans for the future and find a reason to get your diploma, something to strive for. Then, it'll all fall into place :smile:

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Help Me Help Myself [Re: deff]
    #3162646 - 09/21/04 10:04 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the replys. A part of me wants to do it, but I just can;t make myself do it because either way I'm going to have a shit job I wont like. I don't know what I like or anything I'm good at. Guess I do have a low self-esteem.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3163172 - 09/22/04 12:13 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Unless you plan to stop at a high school diploma or the equivalency thereof, I recommend you quit and move on to junior college, unless the junior college in your area doesn't accept someone without a high school diploma or the equivalency.

I am a high school drop out. I didn't get an equivalency. I started junior college at age 26 and then transferred to UCI and graduated with a B.A. at age 30 or 31. I then obtained a J.D. and am now a lawyer. I still don't have a high school diploma or equivalency.

In my opinion, forget high school unless you are only going to get a job that requires a high school diploma. If you plan on moving on past that, then forget high school and go to junior college. It's not as boring as high school.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #3163267 - 09/22/04 12:47 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

There are always going to be things you don't feel like doing. I have found that the key is to just do what you plan on doing no matter what you feel like doing. Just hang in there and do what you need to do.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineUncleMike
Visionary
Male

Loc: S.W. Virginia
    #3163883 - 09/22/04 07:59 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If you want a future at MacDonalds or Wendy's then you can skip the High School thing, but if you want a real job then you need to get your nose to the grind stone. I have made a lot of mistakes in my life but I'm happy to say education is not one of them. Get as much as you can Finish that HS course and enroll in some college courses. HS is the hardest, once your through with it the rest is smoothe sailing.

--------------------
Live each day like it will be your last, tomorrow my never come.
SporeSmart

OfflineUncleMike
Visionary
Male

Re: Help Me Help Myself [Re: Frog]
    #3163894 - 09/22/04 08:05 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Just to satisfy my own curisoity What Jr College did you get in without HS or GED?
It's a requirement for most degrees.

--------------------
SporeSmart

InvisibleLoosifa
none
 User Gallery

Loc: England (South) Flag
    #3163911 - 09/22/04 08:13 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Dont know if this helps, but I quit school at 16, but ended up having a much better idea of wanted to do in my early 30's, when I re enrolled at college, and got a batchelors' degree in fine art.  I had no motivation at 16, but loved learning when I took it up later.
Sometimes, a shit job can be a good job, depending on which angle you look at it from.
I work at McDonalds, and, apart from the stupid pig customers, I love it.  It's easy, my colleagues are great, and I can spend my free time being irresponsible with psychedelics and not worry about losing my job.  Oh yeah.. and it keeps me fit.
At least if you have an education, you can choose what you want to do.  IMHO, happiness is the most important thing.  If you got that, you got everything you could ever wish for.
This is NOT a suggestion to work for McD's, btw.... it just works for me. :wink:

--------------------
LURK

Offlinebarfightlard
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Help Me Help Myself [Re: Loosifa]
    #3164620 - 09/22/04 12:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks alot guys. I think im gunna finish my GED. I'm getting help to finsish my other half of the english then after that im just going to take total joke courses to get all the credits.

--------------------

OfflineBigNerd
Sociable loner
Male User Gallery

Loc: local elementary school
    #3165047 - 09/22/04 01:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The best thing you can do to get the work done is to set a schedule. Decide how quickly you want to finish the course, figure how much time per day/week that divides to, and then FORCE yourself to spend that time every morning or afternoon or evening on school work. If you know you only have to put up with it for another month, it will be easier than letting it drag out by only working on it once a week and not getting anything done.

BN

--------------------
Sometimes karma needs a little help.

OfflineUncleMike
Visionary
Male

Re: Help Me Help Myself [Re: Loosifa]
    #3165728 - 09/22/04 04:34 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I wasn't suggesting that working at McD"s is a bad thing. You can work yourself up the ladder and have a fine career there. You are right it will keep you healthy working there. You can't be a lazy person and work in fast food.

--------------------
SporeSmart

Jump to top Pages: 1