Home | Community | Message Board

The Best Salvia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinearray
diehard confederate
Female User Gallery

Loc: ya moms trailer park
Misc mushroom pics
    #3160893 - 09/21/04 06:22 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Here are some more photos from the last couple of weeks. Sorry, i dont have complete descriptions or even spore prints for all, just wanted to share the pics but if anyone has any guesses as to what they may or may not be: help yourself!

This looks like a blue bruising bolete: probibly one of the poisonous species.

These ones resemble chanterelles but i was unable to get a print.

Some red stem Russulas:

Some lbm's with dark brown spore prints. These little guys were growing in a rather large group on the forest floor. They all have distinct umbos.

This species was found on the ground in some woods also. My first guess would be cortinarius. Got a rusty brown print on these.

These are wood lovers. Ive been finding these often. I believe that they belong to psathyrella - the print and habitat matches (dark purple-brown spore print).

I didnt get a print on these last ones (wish i had though). The special thing about these is that they were found exclusively on pine wood. One of the few around here that prefer pine instead of deciduous wood.

Ok thats it for now, next time i will try and get up some better details. I was unable to keep this collection long enough for all of them to be printed/studied, had to leave town and when i got back - they werent looking too good  :blush:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Northern Europe
Re: Misc mushroom pics [Re: array]
    #3163219 - 09/22/04 02:31 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I would agree that those are chanterelles. Nice!

Offlinearray
diehard confederate
Female User Gallery

Re: Misc mushroom pics [Re: Pinback]
    #3164045 - 09/22/04 11:30 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks, the descriptions are only by memory though. all i really have to go on is the pics.

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Loc: Washington State
    #3164353 - 09/22/04 01:12 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I agree on door number two. Look like Chanterelles to me! Good find.

L

--------------------
"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3165036 - 09/22/04 03:44 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The first one is indeed a bolete. For an ID we need more info. Start with a detailed description (photos are very good) of the surface of the stem, especially near the top.

As everybody has confirmed, those mushrooms in the second photo are chanterelles.

The third ones are Russulas as you said. Identification beyond that is a lot more difficult.

The LBMs in the 4th photo are Inocybes. Almost all Inocybes tested have high levels of muscarine. They should all be considered poisonous.

Your suspected Cortinarius very probably are.

The suspected Psathyrellas have the overall look of Psathyrellas, and probably are.

Spore prints would have been important on the last ones. As a wild guess they suggest Pholiota to me.

Nice photos and notes.

Happy mushrooming!

Offlinearray
diehard confederate
Female User Gallery

Re: Misc mushroom pics [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3165159 - 09/22/04 04:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the responses, I am gonna try and get out there and grab some habitat photos next time. I just need a case for my digi so that it does not get damaged. There is a big swamp with a river or creek running right through it and i have to pass this in order to enter deeper into the woods near my backyard. Usually i jump across barely making it every time. its a huge jump. Other times it is flooded and i have to shimmey across a fallen tree holding on for dear life. Sometimes my whole paper bag full of mushrooms gets damaged while crossing. Kinda paranoid about dropping the cam falling in there or missing the jump and falling in myself(its deep). Any ideas on how to safely transport my cam back and forth?

Right now i just use a paper lunch bag to transport my collection and to use as a background for the pics. If anyone has a suggestion to a better background, ill try that out also.

ToxicMan - thanks for the help again, really means a lot.

Inocybes are an interesting group of mushrooms that fascinate me. I read somewhere that there are estimated to be like 400-600 species of which only a small portion are named, tested or studied. Its also interesting that the majority of them seem to contain toxic levels of muscarine. I also realise that they are a complex of look-alikes and many are hard to tell apart from one another. Trying to get an accurate ID to species on them is probibly not possible without having good recources, a lab, and a good microscope. I should try to create my own system of telling them apart just so that i can get a rough estimate on how many different species i am finding.

Edited by array (09/22/04 04:52 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification