Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetai
Stranger
sparing the field
    #3158878 - 09/21/04 02:58 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I read on a webpage based in Fla that one should always use scissors when shroom hunting. It says that a person can kill all future crops by not leaving the the roots in the ground.
I found that doing this significantly reduces my overall weight. It also seems immpossible to me. Dont shrooms only grow on a given terd for a short amount of time( at a few months of age) Isn't mycelium in the ground?
I am currently sitting on a huge find and I want to pickem quick. Should I use scissors? PS...I will send a photo in a day or so...my camera is in the shop.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Trusted Identifier
Re: sparing the field [Re: tai]
    #3158914 - 09/21/04 03:11 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

> It says that a person can kill all future crops by not leaving the the roots in the ground.

This is BS frankly.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: sparing the field [Re: Anno]
    #3158927 - 09/21/04 03:17 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It might be BS as far as cubes are concerned, but I've seen it happen before with woodlovers and possibly also semilanceata. Another benefit of using scissors is your shrooms stay clean and they don't get all covered in dirt / shit / wood / grass etc. which doesn't taste so good.

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: sparing the field [Re: tai]
    #3158993 - 09/21/04 06:42 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Whether or not scissors do damage to the mycelium/habitat is irrelavent. If you don't use scissors, your bag will likely be filled with lots of dirt and insects. Or in the case of cube hunters...cowshit. I like my mushrooms clean so I use clippers.

OfflineMarcd046
Captain CiderConnoisseur

Loc: North East, Uk
Re: sparing the field [Re: Stymee]
    #3159079 - 09/21/04 09:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

This is as zee werp said, 'woodlovers and possibly also semilanceata', it can leave the mycellium open to rot and disease, which can kill off any chance of other fungi fruiting.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: sparing the field [Re: Marcd046]
    #3159481 - 09/21/04 01:32 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry, that's BS too. A study was done on the topic and found no difference between pulling the mushrooms up, cutting them off, or even not picking them.

If you want to do a study to disprove or confirm that, it would be great. Be sure to use appropriate controls, something most amateur scientists seem to think is a waste of time.

Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: sparing the field [Re: zee_werp]
    #3159492 - 09/21/04 01:37 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Regarding your above posts; I posted this but the shroomery went off line so i hope that this will p work.

You do not need to use scissors on either liberty caps, baeos or stuntzii's which grow in grassy areas or in lawns or pastures. The libs grow with their mycelia attached to the roots of wild grasses. Removing them by hand does no damage at all. Once it grows it dies so it does not matter. And cutting them with scissors causes oxidation or damage to the stem base. Scissors are good for woodchip mushrooms only. Cubes can be cleaned by hand but it is better to let them dry first on paper then remove the powdered manured remains after the shrooms have dried. This causes no oxidation. But it does not hurt shrooms in the mulched areas.

I have been informed by a few mycologists that using scissors which are not alcohol sterile each time you cut a new shrooms does damage mycelium. I have not seen this but crawling around with 100 pounds of your weight and upwards over the ground where mycelia grows in the mulch does more damage to the growth of certain species and slows or delays fruitings or sometimes inhibits growth and mutates some specimens into unusual shapes when and if they do reappear. And that such weight damage is worst than that caused by scissors which are not sterile for each cutting.

Most mulched areas, if well muclched produce a single or more species of shrooms for about three years or so and then the mulch is usually changed to whatever brand is available at the time of muclhing. Some locations in Seattle last fall were remulched with cedar over alder. This means those areas will most likely not reproduce the P. cyans this year, except in some small areas where the muclhers failed to dump the cedar.

DH and @cro know the areas I am speaking of.

anyway, Youu do not need scissors for liberty caps or cubes. The cubes can be hand cleaned when picked as i do when picking mass cubes to keep dirt out of the shrooms.

Here is such an image of cubes with little manure, wiped by peeling a light layer of skin from the shroom as it is lifted from the ground. I do this with my last two small fingers as I lift the shroom with my thumb and third finger out of the shit. Mostly, the manure which is already three quarters dried from aging in the four to six weeks it normally takes for the shroom to appear is not nasty buit mostly dried, sometimes a little fresh.

The same with this Copelandia cyanescens, a species which is more fragile than semi's or cubes. IT bruises blue to black really fast and easy from improper handling, bagging and then bad drying and damaging the skin by improper carrying of specimens in bags

I hand cleaned this above Cope as I picked it from the manure with my last two fingers of my hand while holding it as i picked it with my thumb and third finger.

This takes years of experience of collected them as such to insure proper handling and clean non-bluing or non-oxidising shrooms. Without the scissors. While I do use scissors for cutting away grass and weeds to make nice photos I hardly use them to cut field shrooms from the ground. And whether one thinks so or not, Cow shit is pretty clean, despite flies and maggots and such.

Remember our vegetables are grown with animal manure for feritlizers and also our home grown cubes are grown in shit and twisted out of the mycelia and they are usually pretty clean if twisted the right way.

In Aisa they use human shit to grow their vegetables. Hoppe that doesn't bother people who go to Asia and eat vegetarian food. It is all grown with human excretement over there.

In Hawaii, people take handfuls of shit shroms from bags to eat and do not even think about the shit on the bottom of the stems.

In fact an interesting story is on the first - second day of my picking of liberty caps, I found an area with pounds of them. I got a ride in a panel truck with some hippies in Noti, Oregon who had several large platic bags of liberty caps. maybe about five or six pounds of them. Four people in the back of the panel turck were eating caps and tossing the stems out of the windows saying the stems had shit in them fromthe cows and the earth.
OF course we all know they do not grow out of shit.

Later i learned the stems are as potent as the caps.

mj

My first trip with my wife, I thought that forty would be enough since i teried 20- the day before with out any results or noticible diffenece inmy physical being. Then she said why not 60 each. So I added the piles to equal 60 fresh mushrooms and so we ate sixty each fresh and very big liberty caps. When she was not looking I put 10 of mine back in the bag. I thought, "my god! Someone has to be in control."

It was about one fresh ounce each. We saw what Wasson wrote about in Life Magazine of his first trip, and then we had massive sex for the next four hours, minus an interuption of child behavioral fright problems with our six-month-old son who freaked for about twenty minutes. seemed like ten hours of torture. After we had a friend drive us around for a half hour and give him a lollipop, everything was cool after that. Taught us not to have the kids around when tripping.,

Another time there was a horrible car accident outside out home. Two people died. We were freakled the whole night. That is why it is best to take them in your home, in a safe envioronment, with yor own kind of music you like and a warm bath for initiating the start of good sexual four hours or orgasms and disconnect the phone and put a sign onthe door saying gone fishing. So no one will interuop where you are and change yor trip.

I always recommend they are not for parties yet I have seen hundreds of people at parties fried on shrooms having a good time. But then I always trhought staying home and having sex for four or five hours straight was a much better good time than going out drinking and dancing and meeting obnoxious people and listening to bar music that wasn't our kind of music.

Sorry to driftr off subject, but again, scissors are nto good for libs, stuntziis or baeos, but are good for muclhed shrooms.

mj

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification