Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehfactor
Enthusiast
 User Gallery
Casing wont pin
    #3147697 - 09/17/04 09:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I have a casing that is fully colonized, maybe too colonized because i just read in the faq that your not suppose to let the surface colonize? Well anyways for some reason i cant get a single pin to come out of this thing. I have a fluro light that i shine on it for 4-6 hours a day and the rest of the time its sitting in its chamber (actually i have 2 casings and they both wont pin). The rh must be around 100 because there is water on the walls. the temp is right around 72-78 all the time and the casings look really healthy. For some reason i think that there is something wrong with my terrium because my friend had these three pf cakes that he gave me and he said they had gone through their first flush and thats it so far so im like sweet ill get 2 more, 2 of them had 1 pin so far (they have been in this terrium for 2 1/2 weeks) and 1 had 6 pins and thats it. If anyone could give me any insite as to what im doing wrong that would be great. Thanks
Btw my terrium has lava rocks with 2 air pumps in the water that recirculate new air and raise the humidity with a serrane rap top. the fluro is about 3 feet away when its on and its shining directly on them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: Casing wont pin [Re: hfactor]
    #3148013 - 09/17/04 11:30 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

fucking

just patch that shit with a thin layer of verm.be sure to elave plenty of holes and shit, when it starte breaking through, cold shock and start giving light. then when pins form give it air. i just had this problem like a week ago

100% RH is bad for casings, itll give u overlay, which u have. lower it to 80-90%

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Offlinehfactor
Enthusiast
 User Gallery
Re: Casing wont pin [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3148170 - 09/17/04 12:14 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

how do you cold shock a casing. I know how to do it on cakes but seems to me a casing would be complelty different. Ill put that dry verm layer on now and see if i can get the RH down.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3148254 - 09/17/04 12:39 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i'm going to case in one of those ziplock plastic containers. i assume i'd be safe to cold shock it in the fridge if I put the lid back on. i'm gonna tape the sides closed anyways, just in case.

cold shock is usually your fridge, but you could also get some two liter water bottles, fill about 3/4 with tap water, and throw them in the fridge. then put in your incubator (if you're not incubating in there) without the heat, just put the bottles in there and it'll cool them off. make sure to have some extra bottles for when those unfreeze, or just in case it's not very cold.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3148271 - 09/17/04 12:44 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Up your light to 12 hours a day for pinning. Once the pinset has formed drop it back. To cold shock, wrap it up WELL with foil or saran wrap and throw it in the fridge for 24 hours.

You should not put dry verm on there, if you are going to patch patch with whatever you cased with (if it was straight verm then do more of that must it must be moist, if it was a mixture then put that on but again it must be moist). You also should spread it out into a layer. Only put more casing mis on the white spots. If there are spots with no white you dont want to put it there or your still not going to get an even pinset. The point of patching is to cover what comes up first to give the rest a chance to catch up and come through.

I have no problem with 99% humidity in my terrerium I use a cool mist, ultrasonic and I still hand mist occasionally. If correctly cased (evenly) and the patched I have no problems with overlay. The casing should become almost completely white, that is a good thing as thats were mushrooms come from. Overlay is different and looks unhealthy and dead and flattened and discolored. I've gotten it from over misting with to much h202 on some earlier casings in a small perilite chamber but they still fruited and gave me quite good yeilds (I've had worse flushes from not even pinsets).

Also no cold shocking andbeing your first time, and low light, unless your over 2 weeks into it you shouldnt be worried. I wouldnt expect you to start seeing them for about 2 weeks and thats what it took for my first few. More light and better air exchange and higher humidity have gotten it down to about a week for me. It just takes time.

And I wouldnt put the flouro to close when you up the hours. I'd move it to about 6 foot away. Just because it doesnt need to be so close (they do well with indirect sunlight) and it might help keep temp lower.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing wont pin [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3148285 - 09/17/04 12:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ZeroArmy27 said:
cold shock is usually your fridge, but you could also get some two liter water bottles, fill about 3/4 with tap water, and throw them in the fridge.

Throw them in the freezer you meant :smile:

That can work for "cold shocking" cubies. They usually only need a 10 degree temp drop (though I've found a cold shock to help knock off a few days)

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinehfactor
Enthusiast
 User Gallery
Re: Casing wont pin [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3148392 - 09/17/04 01:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

All right thanks for the info, unfornataly i already put a thin layer of dry vermaculite on the casings.... I blew off as much as I could but i dont have a misting bottle so i guess they are going to have to deal with it until i get one.... ima cold shock them tomorrow and up the lights to 12/12.
Thanks

Offlinehfactor
Enthusiast
 User Gallery
Re: Casing wont pin [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3153158 - 09/19/04 12:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I just wanted to say thanks guys, one of my casings has about 20+ pins i can see now after the cold shock and 12 hours of light, and i see a few in the other, i think there would be more if i didnt sprinkle that dry verm layer on, man i really need to get a spray bottle :blush:.  THanks again scatmanrav!
-hfactor

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3154895 - 09/20/04 12:51 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

hehe... yeah scat, you straightened out a few things!

I have a question now though, how long should one cold shock a casing? I have no idea how long it should go in... and this is done after my 2-3 days in the incubator to let the myc catch up with each other... right?

oh, and also, i've heard 18 hours of light helps get a more even pinset, any exp. with that?

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #3154900 - 09/20/04 12:55 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Cubensis dont need coldshocking. Those casings would have pinned anyway.
Some people are just impatient.
Mist your casings with a spray bottle if you want overlay,otherwise don't.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #3154914 - 09/20/04 12:59 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

RH is too high
up your number of air exchanges

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing wont pin [Re: muse_sick]
    #3155822 - 09/20/04 01:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Its not just that some people are impatient, some people are just producing more shrooms then you could consume in your entire life every week. Those 3 days it saves every flush adds up to be one hell of a lot of shrooms when your working with huge closets of casings.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag