Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTemazzie
MethamphetamineFueled Dictator

microwave sterilization
    #3153636 - 09/19/04 07:35 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

has anyone ever had success with mircrowave sterilization? the reason i ask is because i had to buy half pint plastic tupperware containers because i couldnt find glass jars anywhere, dammit

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: microwave sterilization [Re: Temazzie]
    #3154602 - 09/19/04 11:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The microwave has served me well for sterilizing casing material, but I do not trust it for substrates.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
    #3154618 - 09/19/04 11:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Karo mixes seem to work pretty damn well in the microwave, and i've seen about 50/50 success rate with Tupperware BRF cakes

--------------------
Will all the big boomers please unveil, please unveil, please unveil.

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3154729 - 09/19/04 11:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Is there any reason you can't PC the tupperware?

Of course, it could theoretically work, but the problem would be how to heat the substrate evenly - without burning it. Hopefully you have a newer microwave with a carousel.

If you have a candy thermometer, I would employ that.

Off Topic: Has anybody ever converted an old microwave into a glovebox? Am I correct in thinking that turning the microwave on for a couple of minutes would make the inside sterile?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: microwave sterilization [Re: discman1]
    #3154739 - 09/19/04 11:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I've put food in the microwave and a gnat flew in.

I cooked the food for a few minutes, and when I opened it up, my food was hot, and the gnat flew out apparently unharmed.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3155141 - 09/20/04 09:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Temazzie said:
has anyone ever had success with mircrowave sterilization? , dammit

:thumbdown:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#3155367 - 09/20/04 11:18 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I have had success with cakes sterilized in the microwave.

I used those little circular 8oz zip-lock containers.

• You want to put in your substrate and verm layer.
    -- Make your substrate with higher water content than you would normally use.
  • Then cover loosely with a piece of cling-wrap.
  • Then put the lid on, but don't close or seal it. Just so it rests on the rim of the container.
  • nuke on high for 10 minutes.
  • After 10 minutes, let stand inside microwave for 10-20 minutes to cool off, or open the microwave and quickly seal the lid and let stand outside of the microwave for 10-20 minutes to cool off
    -- If you have a lot of jars to do, it will take less time if you have one batch in the microwave, while another is out cooling off
  • Once jar(s) have cooled, put back into microwave for another 10 minutes on high.
    -- Make sure to crack the lid open if you sealed it for cooling.
  • When 10 minutes are up, quickly reach into the microwave and seal the container.

To inoculate, just crack the lid open a little bit, and inject through the cling wrap.

One downside of this tek is that there is not a lot of possibility for air exchange. This may be solved, perhaps, by cutting a hole into the lid, and gluing some tyvek over that. As well as using tyvek in place of the cling film. The cling-film-replacement tyvek could, perhaps, be secured to the container with rubber bands.

<EDIT 9/20/04>corrected shitty spelling</EDIT>

Edited by FirstAvailable (09/20/04 02:08 PM)

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: microwave sterilization [Re: FirstAvailable]
    #3155543 - 09/20/04 12:13 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

>>"I have had success with cakes steralized in the microwave."

Have you had a high enough success rate (3 out of 5 atleast or so that didn't contam before 100% colonization) that you would consider this a good alternative to pressure cooking your jars?

Also, what if popcorn was your substrate?  Do you think the kernels would all pop?  Or what would be the outcome in your opinion?
(IYO <-- Acronymn of the week)

- Silven  :mushroom2:

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW US
Re: microwave sterilization [Re: Silven]
    #3155576 - 09/20/04 12:21 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Silven said:
Also, what if popcorn was your substrate?  Do you think the kernels would all pop?

Ummm, you have to be a run-of-the-mill dipshit to use popcorn as your substrate, and sterilize it in the microwave. And to answer your question, yes, it will pop, and I have a neat little science experiment to prove it.

Step 1: Place Kernels in microwave.
Step 2: Run on high for 3 minutes.

Not to complicated I geuss :wink:.

OfflinePhatSlacker
Re: microwave sterilization [Re: vc77]
    #3155641 - 09/20/04 12:34 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I thaught popcorn had to be dry to pop.

OfflineSilven
Male

Re: microwave sterilization [Re: PhatSlacker]
    #3155858 - 09/20/04 01:26 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

PhatSlacker Wrote:
Quote:

I thought popcorn had to be dry to pop. 

I thought this exact same thought PhatSlacker.  Obviously, being "run-of-the-mill dipshits"  :mad: we can't think on a low enough (IQ =< 5 )  wavelength to see it the way VC77 does. :rotfl:

If anyone with an IQ higher than 12 and a maturity level greater than the average 13 year old girl has an answer, please share it even if it is just "It will pop".

Sorry for ruining the atmosphere of the board and the fact that I had to sink to this level, but I do not appreciate being flamed at.  Some of us are here for more than an ego boost.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #3156038 - 09/20/04 01:57 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

For me, microwaving brought a higher success rate (100%) than boiling jars - now I have a PC.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: microwave sterilization [Re: Silven]
    #3156070 - 09/20/04 02:01 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Silven said:
>>"I have had success with cakes steralized in the microwave."

Have you had a high enough success rate (3 out of 5 atleast or so that didn't contam before 100% colonization) that you would consider this a good alternative to pressure cooking your jars?

Also, what if popcorn was your substrate?  Do you think the kernels would all pop?  Or what would be the outcome in your opinion?
(IYO <-- Acronymn of the week)

I have never had a contam when using this method.  The only problem I have run into is that the substrate would dry out before 100% colonization.  That is why you want to make it more wet than if you were just PCing it.

Also, if it does dry out, just take the cake out of the container, and the dried substrate should just crumble off.  Cold dunk the remaining colonized portion, and fruit as usual.

Here or some pics of how I did it:

Of those pictures, none got contamed.  3 of those jars, however, dried out when they were 50%-75% finished.  I merely scraped off the dry substrate, dunked, and cased.  It was fine.

I haven't tried doing this with popcorn, but it will most likely pop.  Although, I don't see why that would be such a bad thing, aside from not having as much substrate.  You could fill the cup 1/10 full with kernels, then nuke em.  They will pop, but as far as I know, mycelium should still be able to colonize it.  If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me.

Also, you could crush the kernels, and then put them in the microwave to sterilize.  Once crushed or cracked, they will not pop.

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Re: microwave sterilization [Re: Evolving]
    #3156089 - 09/20/04 02:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I thaught popcorn had to be dry to pop.

Wrong, dry popcorn will NOT pop. Although popcorn kernals may look totally dry, each kernel of popcorn actually has a small amount of water inside it. This water is stored inside a circle of soft starch inside the kernel's hard outer surface. As the kernel heats up, the water's molecules start to move faster and get farther away from each other; this molecular expansion is the same reason water turns into steam when you boil it. As the water expands it puts pressure against the hard starch. Something's gotta give - so eventually the water pressure wins out and the popcorn ruptures. The soft starch inside becomes inflated and bursts, flipping the kernel inside out to release the steam inside.

Now if your going to question my IQ your going to get it.

Quote:

If anyone with an IQ higher than 12 and a maturity level greater than the average 13 year old girl has an answer, please share it even if it is just "It will pop".

If you do not believe me, waste your time and try it. I will say it again, IT WILL POP.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #3156140 - 09/20/04 02:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Please don't reply to one person but quote another, thanks.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Re: microwave sterilization [Re: Evolving]
    #3156169 - 09/20/04 02:23 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I used quick reply and randomly clicked "reply to last post" button to let me continue, if you really insist on not having your name in the RE: tag, i'll take it out.

OfflineSilven
Male

#3159156 - 09/21/04 08:22 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you Vc77 for the information on the popcorn.  That's all I was asking, sorry for offending you if I did.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale