Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
    #3153739 - 09/19/04 10:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Its my first time attempting to grow and i must say its a lot to swallow at once. A hear a lot of different tips and suggestions and im really not sure which to go with. I recently read that perlite when placed with a small amount of water creates or some how supplies enough humidity for my cake. I then wanted to find out what perlite was since its going to be creating this humidity, was it going to cause the water to evaporate faster? I read on perlite.org that it retains water and will suck it out of the air and i thought " this cant be right ." how does something that takes moisture out of the air and hold water in itself humidify the air? please help me with this one. also what are peoples feelings on wether to use perlite or simply mist it with a spray bottle? i read that was an option as long as you didnt spray the cake for it would decrease your yields.

duncan black

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Galactic Shaman

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Re: Humidity. [Re: DuncanBlack]
    #3153785 - 09/19/04 10:10 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

you saturate perlite, then it evaporates the moisture. If perlite is dry, it will absorb, once saturated with water it releases the moisture slowly.

-Alien :cool:

Alien Substrate Instructional:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG82xLzrNg8

#3153813 - 09/19/04 10:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If the air contains more water than the perlite, it will absorb moisture from the air. If the perlite is holding more water than is in the air, it will evaporate into the air. It's all about balance.

Perlite absorbs water, but it doesen't lock it up permanently. It is very porous and airy; lots of surface area for it to evaporate.

The reason you use perlite is because you can create a layer thick enough so that your cake isn't actually touching water, but the perlite will wick the water up and release it into the amosphere as needed. If you were to use something like vermiculite, it would serve much the same purpose - but it isn't as light and airy when saturated with water. It would turn into a compacted stinky anerobic bacterial breeding ground.

Any way you can keep the humidity between 95 and 100% is optimal. In areas where it is very dry, multiple methods are needed. If you can keep humidity up with just sprays, more power to you. :wink:

born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3154872 - 09/20/04 02:44 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Perlite works because of it's massive surface area. water/h2o2 at half the depth of the perlite is optimum IME. Perlite stabilizes (much less fluctuation) the RH in your environmental (fruiting) chamber. GL

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation