Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
High humidity making me sick?
    #3153211 - 09/19/04 02:28 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Kind of a weird question but not exatly as though I can ask my doctor and I figured maybe I can get some info from someone here. I have a large closet setup:

Might not look to big but its a fairly large closet with all the walls covered in plastic. This was newly setup like this as I was using a smaller setup. I dont usually get sick but I have been kinda sick for the last week. Sore throught and just achy all over. But I was thinking about it last night and I remember that right about then is when I started putting out mre humidity with my closet. Now it stays pretty much in the closet but not when I fan it out (1-3 times a day) when I just open and close the door for a few minutes. My room that its in is probably only about 15-20 times larger then the closet so I'm wondering if when I fan all the extra humidity that I wasnt used to (house is usually about 45%) is causing this. I do have a cool mist in the closet running 24/7 and an ultra sonic thats on for an hour then off for an hour all day long. I also do mist a little occiasionally (once every 1-3 days) so the humidity in the closet it quite high. The mushies seem to like it though. Just dont know if our bodies do.

Has anyone else with a large setup experienced this problem? Not sure what to do. I have a window I could open which might help but its getting colder out and soon will be to cold to have the window open so what then? Assuming of course high humidity can affect a persons immune system anyway.

Incidentily, with a closet this big, the smell of these guys isnt exactly small anymore. I have to wear a gas mask whenever I fan cause it stinks so much of freshies and it makes me slightly sick to the stomach just smelling them  :frown:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

Re: High humidity making me sick? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3153309 - 09/19/04 06:14 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

No, I really don't think the humidity would make you sick. If your stuff isn't contaminated at all, it's probably just a coincidence. And you could still see a doctor, please do, if you're really sick. Even if you told him he couldn't tell anyone else anyway...

Hope you feel better...best of luck!

--------------------

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #3154055 - 09/19/04 11:04 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Mushrooms shouldn't smell that bad unless you have a contamination. Humidity shouldn't cause sickness either, humidifiers are actually sold to help you with colds and stuff.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #3154285 - 09/19/04 11:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Don't tell a Dr. He can report it to your ins. co.But still go see the Dr.Don't wait till you have shrooms growing out you nose.

:captain:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #3154412 - 09/20/04 12:26 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Unless the air is thick with organisms?

Maybe do a good cleanout to be safe?

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
    #3155135 - 09/20/04 11:55 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

kramer made me empty all his jars full of contams when he first started growing...i got sooo sick....
:toxic:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: High humidity making me sick? [Re: george castanza]
    #3155146 - 09/20/04 12:00 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Tell Kramer to pc his contamed jars and kill what is in them before opening. Safer for him and his mushies.

If humidity was a problem to people I'd be living here in Hawaii by myself.  :grin: :thumbup:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Lord Of The Idiots!
Trusted Cultivator
Re: High humidity making me sick? [Re: Magash]
    #3155180 - 09/20/04 12:12 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

kramer just throws out his contaminated jars these days...he says "Magash has no monopoly on laziness" :penis: :penis: :penis: :penis: :penis: :penis: :penis: :penis: :penis: :penis: :penis: :penis: :penis: :penis: :penis: :rotfl:

--------------------

Quote:

ROTHBURY

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: High humidity making me sick? [Re: george castanza]
    #3155952 - 09/20/04 03:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well I did live in FLorida before but I was used to it. Like I said I jumped from about 45% to like high 80's in my room in a few days. And I did just have a bunch of contam jars. Had a rash of them I couldnt stop getting them for a while since a contamed syringe. Took alot of HEPA running, lysol and cleaning but seems like its ok now. Maybe this helped. Should have worn a dust mask. Did it outside in open air being carful not to breathe it in but still.... Perhaps I should do this PCing jars thing. I had a couple dozen though, that would be a pain. Oh well better to take the time I guess. I guess it was silly Just though maybe it was a contributing factor...

Edit:
Also the smell.... It doesnt smell "bad" just very strong. The smell makes me sick though from the thought of eating the putrid tasting things. I do have ALOT of mushies in there though when it smells so strongly.

Oh and they also sell DEhumidifiers to help with "colds and stuff". High humidity is good for things to grow so wouldnt it be better for the air you breate to be less good for things to grow on? Maybe I'll get some damprid just for my room :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Edited by scatmanrav (09/20/04 03:41 PM)

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3156228 - 09/20/04 04:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I've had to use a humidifier for asthma before, I couldn't sleep a full night without it, I'd wake up with another attack in the middle of the night... but that's all in my childhood now. Humidity helped me out...

I moved to Georgia later on in my life and had the whole basement to myself while my parents lived upstairs... I had to run a dehumidifier 24/7 so it would be livable in there... all that constant humidity really liked to make mold, which brought back that asthma...

Hrm, sometimes the only thing you can pin it on is the humidity, but it'll affect you in different ways. Just thought I'd shed a little light on this.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
    #3156533 - 09/20/04 05:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Your symptoms are probably coincidence, but if they're being caused by your grow, it's more likely due to spores than humidity.

I'd wait a week or two before getting concerned unless your symptoms get significantly worse.

Good luck...

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineOmbidru
Stranger
Ultrasonic Mist [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3156557 - 09/20/04 05:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You need to use distilled water with ultrasonic misters and clean the water out regularly. If there's any bacteria, minerals, or chemicals floating around in the water it's going to become airborn with the mist. If you're able to, bring your ultrasonic mister outside, put it in a cup or bowl with some distilled water and maybe 5 drops of distilled vinegar, and let it run out there. If you can't run it outside then put it in a window sill with the window open and let a fan blow the mist outside.

I don't think you want to inhale distilled vinegar.

After cleaning the water and the mister, you could also try putting a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in the water and letting it run in your growroom for awhile to kill any bacteria that's floating around.

The popularity of ultrasonic humidifiers diminished pretty rapidly a long time ago after a lot of people complained about respiratory problems.

Edited by Ombidru (09/20/04 06:09 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ultrasonic Mist [Re: Ombidru]
    #3156972 - 09/20/04 07:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well I do use tap water but I put in peroxide in both humidifiers anytime I add water. About 10%. I wonder if this could cause problems with me breathing this? I dont think that these problems are making me sick exactly just thoughts of them being problems to my immune system.

Bhaving paranoid thoughts about my health the last few trips and I think this is playing a part in me worrying about being sick.

--------------------

OfflineJAMIEK
    #3157444 - 09/20/04 09:31 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

High humidity make you sick naw I wouldnt nor have I heard of that ,But one thing I do know you wont have dry hard boogers in ur nose in the morning now!!! :smile:

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Ultrasonic Mist [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3159543 - 09/21/04 01:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The other thing to consider is that the elevated humidity is causing hidden molds to prosper in the room itself; curtains, carpet, bedding, etc. Humidity itself probably isn't the problem [if there is one], but more likely what the humidity brings with it.
Poor ventilation is common in living situations, elevating the humidity can make the effects worse.
Could be heavy spore load as well. Might want to consider adding a 24/7 'hepa' to the room iself. . .

Lord Of The Idiots!
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ultrasonic Mist [Re: Suntzu]
    #3159660 - 09/21/04 02:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Suntzu said:
The other thing to consider is that the elevated humidity is causing hidden molds to prosper in the room itself;  curtains, carpet, bedding, etc.  Humidity itself probably isn't the problem [if there is one], but more likely what the humidity brings with it. 
Poor ventilation is common in living situations, elevating the humidity can make the effects worse.
Could be heavy spore load as well.  Might want to consider adding a 24/7 'hepa' to the room iself. . .

:thumbup:

--------------------

Quote:

ROTHBURY

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ultrasonic Mist [Re: george castanza]
    #3159786 - 09/21/04 02:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

My HEPA runs in it 24/7 but I forgot it has been out the last week, back in it shall go right now. I'm feeling better today..and less paranoid that my grow was making me sick. I think that when I was starting to get sick was the last night I tripped. It was a bad trip, sweats, nausea but unable to puke, ect. Got me into paranoid thoughts of becoming sick and the mushrooms doing this to my body and so on and so on...

I think I just need to take a break from them for a little bit. They call to me though..

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation