Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
Casing Questions.
    #3145445 - 09/16/04 08:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

This is my first time growing mushrooms. I used rye grain with amazonians. Some of the jars didn't work and were disposed of but I managed to make a casing(100% coir w bottom casing layer) around four days ago. It's a small casing in an opaque ice cream tub with an opaque lid, which I am using as the fruiting chamber. I began initiating pinning a few days ago by moving it into my closet(about 73 degrees), fanning and placing the open case under a lamp for 5-10 mins a few times a day. I'm not sure how long it will take to pin so I am wondering what will the mycelium start to look like when it is close to pinning. I am also wondering if I should keep patching after pin initiation, as the mycelium is colonizing the casing layer more than I am comfortable with and I'm worried about overlay. Thanks for your help beforehand  :smile:.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Re: Casing Questions. [Re: Heffy]
    #3145513 - 09/16/04 08:37 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Shit I put this in the wrong forum. I must be way more stoned than I think. Sorry.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3147117 - 09/17/04 04:20 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Heffy said:
This is my first time growing mushrooms. I used rye grain with amazonians. Some of the jars didn't work and were disposed of but I managed to make a casing(100% coir w bottom casing layer) around four days ago. It's a small casing in an opaque ice cream tub with an opaque lid, which I am using as the fruiting chamber. I began initiating pinning a few days ago by moving it into my closet(about 73 degrees), fanning and placing the open case under a lamp for 5-10 mins a few times a day. I'm not sure how long it will take to pin so I am wondering what will the mycelium start to look like when it is close to pinning. I am also wondering if I should keep patching after pin initiation, as the mycelium is colonizing the casing layer more than I am comfortable with and I'm worried about overlay. Thanks for your help beforehand  :smile:.

don't patch your pins...
don't worry about overlay....if you got them at 73F you should see pins in a week or two :thumbup:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Re: Casing Questions. [Re: george castanza]
    #3149021 - 09/17/04 03:51 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Should I keep patching until it pins? The casing layer is over 75% colonized now. If not, does this mean I cannot get overlay after I have begun to give the casing light/air/cool temps?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3149053 - 09/17/04 03:59 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You should only patch once and initiate pinning making sure the casing is "glistening" with moisture. :wink: you should start seeing the myc poking through pretty much everywhere within a 2-3 period. A casing thats 75% should have been initiated several days (4-5) prior. GL Heffy

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Re: Casing Questions. [Re: hyphae]
    #3150242 - 09/17/04 10:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Should I make the casing "glisten" by misting it? Will this cause any problems?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3150376 - 09/17/04 11:01 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Not at all as long as you don't saturate it where there is runoff. Build up this moisture over a period of time not all at once is important also. This is the environment that myc thrives in just like in nature. :wink: As soon as the myc pokes through I stop misting until pins are set then I resume light often mistings throughout the cropping cycle. Remember "near saturation" this is the point where the casing JUST "glistens" no more. :wink: Again GL

OfflineJuan_del_Pueblo
Mr.Papashroom
 User Gallery

#3150563 - 09/18/04 12:19 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Giving it more light would also help.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Questions. [Re: Juan_del_Pueblo]
    #3151439 - 09/18/04 03:48 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Juan_del_Pueblo said:
Giving it more light would also help.

No doubt! 12-16hrs. a day make a big difference in pinning!

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

#3152092 - 09/18/04 08:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The problem with more light is that I am using a tall casing container with a lid as it's own fruiting chamber for the humidity and space. I would need to rig up a light inside the ice cream tub.

OfflineElectricBoogaloo
    #3152593 - 09/18/04 10:43 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Pretty easy and cheap to do. I drilled a small opening in my lid, fed a power cord through the opening, taped it to the lid, and put in a nightlight. The light doesn't generate heat, and I didn't have to cut part of the lid off to let light in.

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

#3196178 - 09/29/04 03:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

So I rigged up a reading light with rechargeable batteries lighting the case from the top of the lid. About three days ago I noticed knots, and today I saw the first pins. I'm overjoyed that my first time growing mushrooms (especially a rye casing) is working out so well. So what should I do from here? Should I keep the light in the case until there is a larger pinset? How much should I mist if at all? How long can I expect it to take (it's cubies)?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3196449 - 09/29/04 04:38 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Light intensity is most important at the pinning stage if you have pins maturing then most likely your pins are already set (white dots and primordia). Once pins are set you can continue with light mistings using a very fine mist only produced by a pumpup type sprayer and some high quality hand squeeze models (hint hint) :wink: GL bro

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
    #3197485 - 09/29/04 08:41 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ok- Question - I had a normal round bulb grow light that I bought for 6 bucks at the store. I had it hanging 3 inches above the plexiglass that was used in place of the cut out section of my pmp. I removed it when I read that Direct LIghting would be dangerous.....

What is the right answer here to diffuse the unsettling???

Also...i patched yesterday a casing and strong white is peeking through...very condensed...is this GOOD or BAD???
Amen and thanks

--------------------
'I'm the commander see, I don't need to explain, I do not need to
explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something,
but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation.'
- George W. Bush

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Questions. [Re: qwon]
    #3197559 - 09/29/04 09:03 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Not sure what kind of bulb that is but if its a grow light it might give off UV's.

The right answer is UV's are bad. If your light source contains UV's then your light should be off to the side (so that if you put your head right where your light is you can't see your shrooms but your shrooms are light enough for you to see them when you look straight down) but otherwise direct light isnt a problem (unless it creates to much heat in your chamber which will depend on your setup).

Something like this. These arent perfect but they aint to bad.
Myc should be condensed and even throughout the casing layer. It should be very ropey as well.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
Re: Casing Questions. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3197599 - 09/29/04 09:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

This helps, I'm gonna resetup.....BTW..what lighting are you using - your pics are always something to strive for :rocket:

--------------------
'I'm the commander see, I don't need to explain, I do not need to
explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something,
but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation.'
- George W. Bush

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Questions. [Re: qwon]
    #3197701 - 09/29/04 09:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I have 3 desk clamp on lights (8 bucks each) with mini flouro lights in them per closet. The little twisty replacments for regular bulbs (79 cents a peice..caught a good sale and bought 20 of these and replaced all lights in hourse). I use the 15 watt ones which are equal to a 60 watt bulb. One of them in one closet is a 20 watt bulb (equal to 75 watt) just cause I ran out of 15's. I have a shelving system to each side of the closets and a wooden shelf above (currently building PVC shelves on top for some mroe space). I clip all the lights on the wooden shelve and point one at each shelve. I can move them as I need to shade casings that already have their pinset so the lights dont directly shine on them and slide casings back so the shelves shade them slightly. Then my lights stay on for 6-18 hours depending on what I need. I keep many casings at once and all in different stages (to hard to keep up with them all at once) but I keep them somewhat sectioned off. The desk lights are fairly directional so I might have all casings not pinning yet on one shelve pulled away from the wall (so the shelves dont block light and they can get direct light) and the other lights will be on the other shelves which all have their pinset and those will only be on for about 6 hours if that or at all. Sometimes if they're all pointing up I leave them in the "dark" (remember still getting slight light from the light pointed at the pre-pin casings) for a day then by the next day they start pointing away and get their 6 hours of light.

Basically I put light where I feel my closets need it. I feel that 12-18 hours while waiting for pins to form is good (direct mini flouro light is best) but after pinset only 6 hours or just indirect light from the flouros. I love the desk lights and the flexibility they offer and the flouro light is good. Doesnt add much heat either.

Man I can ramble about everything :smile: I need to upload more pics from my camera, dont have any recent ones or good ones of my setup on the computer yet but it would help me explain things like this..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck