Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend

Loc: The Yard
Ziplock, Gladlock (#5 in triangle) Pop Top
    #3151393 - 09/18/04 03:41 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The Dude has been using Magash's idea of ziplock containers instead of glass jars...likes them very much except 1 thing.

No matter if he uses foil, tyvek, duct tape or whatever, he always opens the PC to see that the top has been popped off slightly, and he has to press it back on. Not sure if this is a problem, as everything in the PC is relatively sterile when he first opens it, but how can he prevent the tops from popping off to begin with?

Thanks in advance,

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Ziplock, Gladlock (#5 in triangle) Pop Top *DELETED* [Re: ricelicker]
    #3151411 - 09/18/04 03:43 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by Fucknuckle

Offlinericelicker

Re: Ziplock, Gladlock (#5 in triangle) Pop Top [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3151419 - 09/18/04 03:44 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

And that solves it?

Do you end up with any negative pressure so that the container sucks in most of your syringe?

--------------------

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ziplock, Gladlock (#5 in triangle) Pop Top [Re: ricelicker]
    #3151472 - 09/18/04 04:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The plastics may just be expanding at different rates at least that would be my first guess. :wink:

Offlinericelicker

Re: Ziplock, Gladlock (#5 in triangle) Pop Top [Re: hyphae]
    #3151595 - 09/18/04 04:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

But is there a high risk of contamination when the PC is opened and the top is slightly popped off? The first thing The Dude does is press down on the top to seal it back, but theoretically contamns could enter in this short time.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3151613 - 09/18/04 05:05 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You can alway staple the lid to the container? This is where a flowhood proves priceless! :wink:

Offlinericelicker

Re: Ziplock, Gladlock (#5 in triangle) Pop Top [Re: hyphae]
    #3151626 - 09/18/04 05:11 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You lost me. It would be tricky to staple the top to the container, he might be able to do that...but a flow hood wouldn'y help here. You would still have to PC and when you take the top off is when the potential issue arises.

Guess you could let it cool and then put it in your flow hood, open the PC and close the ziplock top, but that would take too much time considering he can only fit 1 ziplock inside the PC at a time.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3151715 - 09/18/04 05:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

>Guess you could let it cool and then put it in your flow hood, open the PC and close the ziplock top"
Exactly. The only time issue here is walking to the flowhood :wink: Just a thought ricelicker :wink:

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Coast
    #3151874 - 09/18/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i think it wont be a problem as long as you keep your house clean. I've had a few incidences where lids and such have come off my stuff at the worst of times, but i never got any contams.

One time i innnoculated some grain jars, But i didnt think they got enough spores so in open air i moved the lid off slightly and re-innoculated and had 0% contam. Just a few days ago i innoculated a karo jar through a rubber lid and when i pulled the needle out the lid came with it, but i haven't noticed any contams.

I think as long as you're quick and keep a clean house you dont have to worry about flowhoods and such with things like this. Thats just in my experience tho. Good luck.

Day tripper

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ziplock, Gladlock (#5 in triangle) Pop Top [Re: day_tripper]
    #3151898 - 09/18/04 07:11 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Some contams go totally undetected in Karo until it is used to innoc grains and such then it shows up, also a few days isn't very long :wink: I totally agree you can get away with alot of stuff and being quick and methodical is a definite advantage along with a clean house. GL guys :laugh:

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #3152355 - 09/18/04 09:40 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If you have foil around the top, just press the lid back down before you take the foil off. Ricelicker, what size containers are you using? 2.1 qt?

Offlinericelicker

Re: Ziplock, Gladlock (#5 in triangle) Pop Top [Re: Worf]
    #3161295 - 09/21/04 06:04 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

They are 4 cup 32 oz Ziplock box shaped container.

Bad news though..... The dude has plenty of healthy mycelium. The ziplock that was doing the best was rye (Magash's tek) inoced with honey water.

Myc had covered about 75% of visible substrate. Looked at it last night, looked great. He checked today and the evil green had taken full control of the top.

Looking for any suggestions, but the only thing he can think of is that the only thing between the rye and the lid was a peice of foil and when he inoced, he noticed some of foil rip and this may have introduced contams into the rye.

Anything else that may have caused it?

--------------------

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

#3161354 - 09/21/04 06:14 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I would try using a poly-fil lid with foil over that. Let the pc come down to pressure by itself, then if the top still pops off, just push it down like you have been (Spray the room out with some Oust and wash your hands and arms with soap and water). Then just inject through the poly-fil and you should be good to go.

--------------------

Offlinericelicker

Re: Ziplock, Gladlock (#5 in triangle) Pop Top [Re: mockeylock]
    #3161379 - 09/21/04 06:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Cool thank you.....

Yes the dude noticed that if he lets the pressure cooker release pressure on it's own, the tops are much less likely to pop.

Will have to check out polyfill. He has some tyvek but that didn't go so well with the ziplock.

--------------------

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #3161550 - 09/21/04 06:52 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I bet if you had a hole or something in the lids when you PC then the lids wouldn't pop off so easily. You just just put some tyvek around the hole so contams couldn't get in.

I think i'm going to try this but i'll be putting on a top dry casing layer so i can keep contams out better. Then once the mycelium is good just dunk or spray the layer so it can be colonized well.

Offlinericelicker

Re: Ziplock, Gladlock (#5 in triangle) Pop Top [Re: Worf]
    #3163249 - 09/22/04 12:39 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The Dude is going to do that with his rye now too (dry verm) and also leave one of the holes untaped during PCing.

Can the layer of dry verm help keep in moisture? He's never had a problem with this before, but because of the high altitude or something, the rye is getting so dry, colonization just stops.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract