Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePsilosopher
enthusiast
What's it like to be a sheep?
    #315045 - 05/11/01 05:00 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Have you ever wondered if the majority of the population thinks about what we think about, and then just gives up and decides it's easier to go along with it?  Or do they honestly not think for themselves from day 1?  Either way the thought is mildly disturbing.
Sometimes I wonder if the majority knows something that I dont.... But probably not :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsycho
Pooh-Bah

Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: Psilosopher]
    #315049 - 05/11/01 05:06 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

they give up.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic material as everyone else" - Tyler Durden

--------------------
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

i feel so good,i feel so numb

OfflineIntox
journeyman
Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: Psycho]
    #315060 - 05/11/01 05:12 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

We're all raised as sheep,but some of us break free and think on our own.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #315234 - 05/11/01 09:10 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

For the 'unawakened man,' which is most men, according to Georges Gurdjieff: "Man is a machine. All his deeds, actions, words, thoughts, feelings, convictions, opinions, and habits are the result of external influences, external impressions. Out of himself a man cannot produce a single thought, a single action. Everything he says, does, thinks, feels - all this happens. Man cannot discover anything, invent anything. It all happens....Everything happens - popular movements, wars, revolutions, changes of government, all this happens. And it happens in exactly the same way as everything happens in the life of individual man....But no one will ever believe you if you tell him he can do nothing. This is the most offensive and the most unpleasant thing you can tell people. It is particularly unpleasant and offensive because it is the truth, and nobody wants to know the truth." - In Search of the Miraculous,
by P.D. Ouspensky

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineFalstaff
journeyman
    #315256 - 05/11/01 10:03 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

You know, I've observed sheep in several countries and none of them really seem that distressed to me. So, how bad could it be? You wander around, munch enough grass to get you by, try to stay out of the roads if it occurs to you... none of this "I'm not good enough to be a sheep" bullshit. Sure, you may end up with a little spraypaint on your coat or, at worst, on a plate. But they don't really seem to anticipate that. You do your dharma.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: Falstaff]
    #315329 - 05/11/01 11:51 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

we may all in fact be asheep.

thou speakest arite
i am the merry wanderer of the night

Offlinepan
Loc: here
    #315590 - 05/12/01 10:30 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

There's many levels of awareness....

Most sheep don't know that. They only know a few... that there is the eating grass level of awareness and the having sex level of awareness and the keeping warm level of awareness.

The fact that there may be other level of awareness is a secret that may one day get out. But until that time lets hope the sheep don't eat up all the resources out of ignorance or become carnivorous and start taking to towns and cities and organise into gangs and start picking off members of different awareness'.

That's why we in England struck first, invented a disease called "foot in mouth" (which is a term for athlete's foot basically) and culled sheep in huge numbers to show them who's boss. We may be reserved, but we are also magnificently aware of the power fo sheep. The sheep is strong. Strike first or die!

You see?

Namaste,
Pan

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: pan]
    #316276 - 05/13/01 12:59 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

baaaahhhhhhh...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: gnrm23]
    #316315 - 05/13/01 02:01 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

sheep have very small amygdalas. it's part of the brain that processes fear, it receives signals of danger and sets off reactions that help you protect yourself. so they show very little fear when danger is present. you could kick a sheep and it would probably just sit there eating grass, and you could slaughter one and the rest of the herd would seem to not even notice. a chicken would run and hide behind a bush if it saw its brother getting slaughtered, but they aren't very bright either - even hiding, they'd still cluck! cluck! cluck!, so you'd no exactly which bush they were hiding behind. their wild ancestors must have had some intelligence, but now they've been conditioned to the point of idiocy, like most American voters. i think chickens are a better metaphor for the unawakened man, they've always reminded me of mechanical toys.

Edited by CosmicJoke on 05/13/01 06:06 PM.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
    #317558 - 05/14/01 11:28 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

it would probably be really hot in the summer... but in the winter you'd be nice and toasty with all that wool... :laugh:

"like a Japanese Cowboy or a blind man on skates"Ween
"you must make sure that the lady's pure for the Funky Cold Medina"Tone Loc

OfflineTheBlackRider
a green walker
Loc: Czech Republic, The Land ...
Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: Psycho]
    #317741 - 05/15/01 06:43 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

psycho, what makes you think so?? i am convinced that the "common people" never ever think about spirituality & similar stuff (no matter how you call it).. i'd even say that some of them are almost unable to think as individuals. i don't like considering myself "elite" in any way, but this is how it seems to me..

Offlineredworm

Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: TheBlackRider]
    #317922 - 05/15/01 02:07 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, these sheeple you speak of, the "unawakened", are a creation of the awakened mind. Would there be a majority that thinks that all there is to a life is birth-school-work-death if there wasn't an opposite, "awakened" minority who thought that the "common man" needed to be saved from their pathetic lives? I'm not entirely sure if what I just said is true.. but I think the answer is somewhere in between infinite compassion and all out war.

------
We are all, infinite and together.

--------------------
------
We are all, infinite and together.

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: redworm]
    #318159 - 05/15/01 07:40 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe we're the sheep, believing we know something the others don't. We're just black sheep. I've questioned our so-called "sheep", and they are mindless, boring, and superficial.
But how many of those "non-conformity" "awakened" individuals shop at Hot Topic, or try to buy their individuality? Half of those awakened thinkers still don't realize that they are currently becoming a sterotypical figure. I don't attempt to exibit my individuality by wearing black, or listening to Slipknot, with mass-produced "don't ever judge me" bullshit.
non-conformity was the best thing for companies to consumerize.
but back to the topic, we're all sheep. Just because we know we're sheep, doesn't mean we don't graze from the same pastures.

Nothing of what I say is a personal matter. All cultivation questions are on behalf of counterparts who risk growing. I take no responsibility in being the messenger.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Offlinecoma
journeyman
Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: Crasher]
    #318332 - 05/16/01 01:15 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

why is someone automatically trying to 'exhibit their individuality' by wearing black, listening to slipknot, or shopping at hot topic? and what's wrong with someone trying to exhibit their individuality anyway? even if they do just end up in another stereotype - people are different.

just because everyone doesn't dress the same, listen to the same music, or shop at the same stores doesn't mean they're 'trying' to be different. perhaps they like black clothes. perhaps they like slipknot's music. perhaps they like the things that hot topic sells. who are you to judge?

--------
"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Edited by coma on 05/16/01 03:18 AM.

--------------------
--------
"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

OfflineDead Shaman
enthusiast

Loc: Unknown
Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: coma]
    #318637 - 05/16/01 03:31 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

A sheep doesn't know what it's like to be a sheep, and neither do we.

"And then you will realize the truth; there is no spoom."

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: Dead Shaman]
    #319453 - 05/17/01 02:52 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

i already knew there was no "spoom." :)

thou speakest arite
i am the merry wanderer of the night

OfflinewhyIdied

Loc: The exact center of the e...
Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: Intox]
    #319657 - 05/17/01 07:41 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, you know. We are all sooooooo hyperinteligent and above everyone else that THEY are sheep and WE are the rightious, awakened "man".

Take your bullshit, adolescent underdeveloped, overused, worn out, sexist, solopistic and illogical ego trip to the Klu-Klux-Klan, bitch wad. It's so tiring to see the same sort of prejudices that people are "defying" dominate their self-image enough that they degrade everyone who doesn't use drugs or whatever.

It seems some people just can't get over the fact that the philosophy of forty years ago didn't actually solve all the worlds problems, and they keep going back to it like some kind of ridiculous.............(baaaaaaahhhhh)

...slow moves, sweet feet...

--------------------
...slow moves, sweet feet...

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: coma]
    #319661 - 05/17/01 07:49 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Look, if they like black, and wear it, they are showing who they are. Listen to slipknot, same thing (Although slipknot has a LOT of "Don't EVER judge me" bull-shit). That my friend, is exibiting your individuality. And don't act like the message hot topic sells isn't "non-conformity". Fucking Mullet calendars and "I like pale scrawny white guys"? Please.

Nothing of what I say is a personal matter. All cultivation questions are on behalf of counterparts who risk growing. I take no responsibility in being the messenger.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

OfflineMind Mage
    #319932 - 05/18/01 04:25 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Most people are sheep because of fear. It's easyer not to think about god and all the mysteries of the world and to let other do it for you. There are too many unknowns and the unknown is what most people fear the most. By becoming a sheep and beliving in false prophets or those who corupted their true intent. You can have the illusion of safety form what they fear most the unknown....Where did they come from.... why did we come from there... and death.... In the 'real' world they have the safety of numbers. Then there are those like me who chose only to appreciate was is and what maybe in the infinite world that 'god' has given us. Driveing fear from your heart is the first step in being enlightned and it's a step not many people can fully complete... When someone is born again because of a near death experience they see that the next life is what you make it and they no longer fear death, with this fear out of their life it is easyer to drive out other fears that have been holding them back. We have to rember god has many faces and many ways. To become a sheep is to place your fate in anothers hand and that is what makes it both inviting in this world and dangerous in the next. I think I'll stick to the other forums from now on this Spirituality and Philosophy one would keep me at the computer for hours... days... so my answer to the original question would be simply "they chose to forget/ignore the unknown and leave it to their sheapord because he knows best"

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Edited by Mind Mage on 05/18/01 06:38 AM.

--------------------
. . . . . . . . . . . .

Anonymous

Re: What's it like to be a sheep? [Re: Mind Mage]
    #320194 - 05/18/01 02:37 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Here's a very good example of sheep like behavior that happened today in my world history class. Teacher says something to the effect of "the United States never tried to turn communist countries democratic, unlike the soviets, who wanted all countries to be communist." I called him on his bullshit and he started saying how Vietnam and Korea were different becaues bla bla bla bla. So I said what about Cuba, he said something else equally evasive.
Well, we're reviewing for finals, so the class is getting pissed that the teacher is no longer spoon feeding them test questions and start to complain, but I'm sick of these people who are convinced that the US has never done anything wrong, ever, etc, etc, so I'm not gonna let him get away with that out and out lie.
One of the guys next to me says something like "just shut up so he can tell us what else is on the final." So I ask, "Don't you wanna know the truth?" And his anwser was "No, I don't care. I just want to get a good grade on the test."
DON'T CARE ABOUT THE TRUTH??? What the fuck? I think that is the prototypical sheep mentality. They don't care about truth, wisdom, or even basic "goodness" only what will enhance their immediate existence and make their life easier.

FWIW, I won the debate after arguing our monetary aid/training of rebels in Cuba and Peru, and our actions in Greece in the 50s.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts follow my vision and dance in the sun

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom