Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

A disheartening trend I've noticed. * 3
    #3149914 - 09/17/04 10:18 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

A while ago I heard the concept that humanity is changing, and that now there is a "homo Economicus" - a species of man led by logic, statistics and theory.

I don't know about all of you, but I like to embrace passion and enjoy the metaphysics and metaphors which are reality. I don't think science is going to lead man to victory - science can be divided into at least these two things:
1) The concept of using scientific method ; all of human knowledge.
2) The heirarchical society created by scientists ( menial workers, researchers, heads of research etc )

I think 1) would be quite nice as a TOOL. People today like to say that science is reality and fact. That science is an objective measure of reality. They disregard that science is built on relativity- a relativity which relies on nothing fundamental changing in the Universe ( who knows if this does not happen, and is the cause that revolutionary scientific theories are bought in as unshakable fact -- until something new pops up unexpectedly )

Considering the Grand Unification Theorem, a single change will affect absolutely everything to a degree.

Ths in itself can be considered trivial, but its effects on people are frightening. My dog died a week ago, and it was a much loved dog.. I will never get completely over it. It will take years to even nuetralize the feelings to a high degree. Most people, all of them Americans it would seem, do not understand this concept. They think you're stupid or something, because of something they think YOU misunderstand.

A dog is not human - correct. A dog IS part of the family. Asking people "So, are you going to get a new one?" is unthinkable. Saying "Oh we can't take this fish along with us, just leave him outside in this bowl. Hey! maybe someone will take him" is an atrocity.

How is this related to homo economicus? It is his direct relative in current society. Rationalizing things only nuetralizes them if you act upon that rationalization. Saying calmly "oh, well he's not hurt any more" is a disgusting perversion of life. It is correct, yes, but it is a sad aside.

Further example: Someone's grandfather dies. He says that "He had a good life". His sister begins dating someone the grandfather hated. "Heh! Good thing grandpa wasn't around to see this!"

What the fuck?
And the scary part is that I'm surrounded by such people in life and online, and know that this is a recent achievement of human degeneracy. It feels like theres only one or two people who actually understand.. And this isn't a feeling of alienation - it is fact! Which is WHY it's so goddamn frightening. Maybe I just happen to meet every person like that? That's doubtful.. Hell, I try to avoid people like that as much as possible.

I don't know where to put this post.. I'm just feeling a bit resigned in knowing that I'm probably part of a dying breed of man... soon to be replaced..

I'm not looking for support, this is off-topic, but this would not even get a single read in OTD.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: vampirism] * 1
    #3149943 - 09/17/04 10:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

:handth:
I feel you.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: vampirism] * 3
    #3149965 - 09/17/04 10:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I've noticed that nobody cares about *genuine* creativity anymore.  They say they do, but society doesn't really indicate it.  You look at the popular musical artists and most of them don't write their own music and I even wonder if they are singing with their own voices.  Also, reading books has gone down by over 20% in the past two years alone.  Nobody wants to work their brains anymore to create a perception of events, instead they just want to have it feeded in to them through the TV IV.  That is beside the point though I guess...

What I'm saying is that I understand.  I try really hard to live my life with passion and color, refusing to get sucked into the deadening doldrums of society.  It's difficult though, when it's all around you. 

We live in a world of labels.  Everything has to be catagorized into everything else, everything *must* make sense.  Well, there are a lot of things about life that do not make sense and yet these things are ignored and people latch onto what they "think" we know for sure, astounding arrogance in my opinion.  To be honest, it's been like this all throughout humans history, not just right now.  I can't convince myself that this is a new occurance with society. 

Everyone looks at me funny when I say that I think that mankind has not really advanced at all.  Sure we have neato technology and sentience and stuff, but you know what?  Our behavior really isn't that different from the apes in the jungles vying for supremacy over a given territory, brandishing nuclear weapons like sticks and jumping up and down yapping incessantly.  Despite our "advancements," despite our ability to reason, I don't see how we're different at all from the apes (and many animals) in our behavior.  And yet, we have the overwelming conceit that we are somehow BETTER then the other creatures of the earth.  It just makes me laugh. 

anyway, that was my rant.  :smile:

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: MOTH]
    #3149990 - 09/17/04 10:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

hm.

i'm really not so sure that it's always been this way though - think about individualism. It's BIRTH was in France, barely a few hundred years ago. Yet today - it is fundamental to certain parts of society, whether real or not. It would be very nice to be truly free or actually have a real choice in most matters, but as humans living in society, I don't think thats at all possible.

Also, I'm not talking primarily about ignorance. People as a collective have always been ignorant fucks. But i think that only recently have they become unpassionate ignorant fucks.

I have seen a struggle within them to want to understand what you're getting at, and they certainly say they care about many things - but it's as if they're detached completely from them.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: vampirism]
    #3150018 - 09/17/04 10:53 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Morrowind said:
hm.

i'm really not so sure that it's always been this way though - think about individualism. It's BIRTH was in France, barely a few hundred years ago. Yet today - it is fundamental to certain parts of society, whether real or not. It would be very nice to be truly free or actually have a real choice in most matters, but as humans living in society, I don't think thats at all possible.

Also, I'm not talking primarily about ignorance. People as a collective have always been ignorant fucks. But i think that only recently have they become unpassionate ignorant fucks.

I have seen a struggle within them to want to understand what you're getting at, and they certainly say they care about many things - but it's as if they're detached completely from them.

Well...if you go by Terence Mckenna's theory, this is because we are drawing farther and farther away from the Gaian Mind.  People are upset and depressed because over time we have isolated ourselves away from nature, and nature is the most magnificent of creative forces.  When we move away from that, we begin to sever our ability to live as passionate, creative individuals. 

It's an interesting theory.  :sun:

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: MOTH]
    #3150019 - 09/17/04 10:53 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well put on that elle. I fullheartedly agee.

OfflineMoxyOx
Grazin'

Loc: Flag
    #22905583 - 02/14/16 11:01 PM (9 months, 20 days ago)

Science has become cult like and after reading a book titled "Antifragile", I've started to see a lot of faults with it.

You're not alone. Nor are you the last of your kind. You sound like a stoic, and not the common assumed type that most think of.

If it's any consolation, I ardently believe that humanity has not changed much, merely adapted to new tools and new walls. We are still the same species but we have lost our spirits and passions in a rather rigid and calculated world. It still exists within all of us, but we must harness and grow it accordingly.

--------------------
No one behind, no one ahead.
The path the ancients cleared has closed.
And the other path, everyone's path,
easy and wide, goes nowhere.
I am alone and find my way.

InvisiblePatrickKn
Aggressively Passive
I'm a teapot

Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: MoxyOx]
    #22905596 - 02/14/16 11:06 PM (9 months, 20 days ago)

I was 15 or so when this thread was made. :strokebeard:

OfflineMoxyOx
Grazin'

Loc: Flag
Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: PatrickKn]
    #22905628 - 02/14/16 11:20 PM (9 months, 20 days ago)

Didn't realize this thread was made 11 years ago. Whoops !

:yeahthatsright:

--------------------
No one behind, no one ahead.
The path the ancients cleared has closed.
And the other path, everyone's path,
easy and wide, goes nowhere.
I am alone and find my way.

OfflineThe5thBeatle
Rocker
 User Gallery

Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: MoxyOx]
    #22905693 - 02/14/16 11:45 PM (9 months, 20 days ago)

The phenomenon from OP's observation has gotten much, much worse in the last 11 years though. Relevant post.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #22905731 - 02/14/16 11:57 PM (9 months, 20 days ago)

It's all by design OP, the Illuminati is real and much worse than the conspiracies.

Don't worry though. Humanity will overcome. We have decided collectively. The old way is going to go away. Their time is short indeed, they are pulling out every last stop, trying to cling to it until the bitter end.
It won't work though. Haha.. fucking noobs.

InvisibleAdden
Saprotrophic Specimen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: PatrickKn]
    #22906088 - 02/15/16 02:24 AM (9 months, 20 days ago)

Quote:

PatrickKn said:
I was 15 or so when this thread was made. :strokebeard:

MOTH wasn't a mum when thread was made, too.

Oh wow. I hadn't even met my wife yet.

:mindblown:

OfflineAsanteA
light your candle on my love
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: Adden] * 3
    #22906312 - 02/15/16 06:06 AM (9 months, 19 days ago)

My favorite drug wasnt invented yet when this thread was made.

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

InvisibleAdden
Saprotrophic Specimen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: Asante]
    #22906320 - 02/15/16 06:19 AM (9 months, 19 days ago)

3 months after the OP the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami hit.

Only 55% of US adults had broadband.

Gold was 375 an ounce at yearly low and 450 for yearly high.

You got admin status not long after right?

InvisibleBurke Dennings

Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: Adden]
    #22906388 - 02/15/16 07:30 AM (9 months, 19 days ago)

Like 6 years after.

--------------------
This will not go undocumented.

Offlinespecialpeopleclub
Male User Gallery

Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: Burke Dennings] * 2
    #22906689 - 02/15/16 11:32 AM (9 months, 19 days ago)

I must somewhat agree. I am currently debating someone somewhat staunchly 'logical'. Pretty much every person I have met proclaiming themselves this,are severely disappointing and embarrassing.
I got this definition of 'love' from him, and if was a few lines about 'pair bonding'
I was like, no, that is not what I mean by love. Your definition is increadably autistic.

Fucker takes some evolutionary psychology and thinks he gets where the emotions of others come from. Very sad, misguided
And actually,

"I don't see love as silly. It's quite natural in humans. It's part of our pair bonding, the time it takes to raise a child means it requires both parents to have long term commitment, and that is easier if they remain as a pair, working together. It also has ties to general rules of affection that humans find between one anouther, our pack bonds. I understand the reasons for all these feelings, and I like to think I appreciate, and respect them more, for understanding them"

This is increadably relevant to me, this topic.College kids with no idea of emotion or having g tour face beat in talking about nonsense because they took classes from our multitude of left wing, feminist processes who make wild conclusions based o. 'Science'

The next person, irl, to tell me our 'purpose is to breed' is gonna get a face full of spit. Yeah, because we did and our species needs babies, that makes it our purpose.
Life has no meaning, no good and evil! Everything is a grey area! There is no inherit value to anything!

--------------------

"all that glitters is gold
dont believe what you've been told
people lie, people love, people go
beauty lies in every soul"
Future Islands
          -A Dream of You and Me

OfflineTurtletotem
Dutch Delight
 User Gallery

Re: A disheartening trend I've noticed. [Re: specialpeopleclub] * 1
    #22906698 - 02/15/16 11:35 AM (9 months, 19 days ago)

When you start playing the numbers game, like only thinknng about how such and such impacts the economy or their balance, or what the cost is of everything.. you will find that you have been bamboozled.
A numbers game is a game you will lose, always, because there is no end to them.

When this thread was made, it was one year before I smoked my first joint.
Here's to another 11! :cheers: :ganja:

--------------------

We'll see summer come again

Edited by Turtletotem (02/15/16 12:39 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Community >> The Pub