Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

instant runoff voting
    #3148433 - 09/17/04 03:25 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

"IRV is a reform that allows voters to rank candidates in order of preference, so that in cases where there is no initial majority winner, a runoff recount can be conducted without a new election to determine which candidate is actually preferred by a majority of voters...

The IRV works basically as follows: Instead of just casting one vote for one candidate, voters rank the candidates: 1,2,3, etc. (hence, the motto, "it's as easy as 1-2-3."). If no candidate receives a majority of the #1 votes, the candidate with the least total of #1 votes is eliminated. The second choice votes from these ballots are then transferred to the other candidates. The ballots are recounted, and candidates are eliminated in this fashion until 1 winner emerges with a majority of the vote. The animated links to the left can help clarify this simple process, but let's talk about why it's a superior voting system, first:

* When there are more than 2 candidates, it ensures the winner has a majority. Without IRV, the winner can win with less than 50% of the vote. How do we really know they have a mandate?

* It will allow more candidates, including independents and third-parties, to get involved in a race, without being accused of "spoiling" the elections. Even if your favorite candidate comes in last, at least IRV allows your next favorite candidate to be counted. No more wasting your vote, and no more spoilers.

* It will decrease negative campaigning. To win, candidates need to get some 2nd and 3rd place votes, as well as 1st place votes. They'll be less likely to "go negative" if they need their opponent's voters, too..."

http://www.instantrunoff.com/

instant runoff voting is currently use in ireland and australia, by the motion picture industry to bestow academy awards, and also in the selection of the heisman trophy winner.

is anyone here opposed to such a system? how come?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: instant runoff voting [Re: ]
    #3148488 - 09/17/04 03:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You honestly think that the people that cannot figure out which candidate they are voting for because the punch hole next to the name is not obvious enough are going to be able to figure out something as complex as IRV?

I am not opposed to such a system, but remember, half the population has below average IQ.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #3148613 - 09/17/04 04:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I loved when they showed the ballots going into a "properly working voting machine".

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#3148686 - 09/17/04 04:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Much needed. Proportional Representation too, though there may be some flaws with that system I don't see at the moment.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #3148812 - 09/17/04 05:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'd pay money for it.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #3149883 - 09/17/04 10:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I really have yet to see an worthwhile argument against IRV. if its confusing for you, just mark your first choice. its as simple as that.

proportional representation on the other hand is an interesting question. while most of me agrees with it, part of me is hesitant for reasons such as the Madison idea of keeping minority factions down, the fact that the NAZI party was at first let in because it was able to get a foothold of 5 percent and finally, the idea that a fascist sort-of party might hold key swing votes for certain legislation and then be able to log-roll votes for themselves onto legislation pertaining to their interests.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion