Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

also musrooms like slug pellets !?
    #3148369 - 09/17/04 03:05 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

since the snails keep eating all my yummy mushrooms I decided to sprinkle
some slug pellets around the places where outdoor patches keep growing.
The funny thing is that not only the snails seem to like the pellets,
but also the  mycelium grows vigorously on them:

:confused:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: also musrooms like slug pellets !? [Re: ragadinks]
    #3148742 - 09/17/04 04:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

there's slug control and then there is slug control

i'll bet dollars to donuts (mmm, donuts) that your slug pellets have slug bait in them. yeah, the slugs love it till their belly hurts and they die from poisoning. thing is, it brings them running to your patches where your placing it. i've never used the stuff this just occured to me while i was considering buying some a long while ago.

i don't recall the poison used but you better check it out because you don't wanna eat poisoned mush!

there are better methods for slug control.

for protecting patches you want to impede, divert, and kill.

impediments include diatomaceous earth, lime powder, salt, whatever a slug is not going to crawl over. moderation is key to not fucking up the ground or spending a bunch on DE. only drop impediments when you are expecting fruits or rain.

diversions can be beer traps or the aformentioned poison bait placed ELSEWHERE.

killing is the most effective method i know tho. the best way is to go out at night or during rains at night and kill every slug you see in the mushroom growing area. of course, i am harvesting practically daily in the same area (shiitake farm) so i can kill slugs without introducing a new drain on my time. a good trick is trap boards. simply place boards in heavy slug traffic areas and check under them in the early morning and squish whichever ones decided to hole up there.

i have determined that it is forever impossible to completely keep slugs away but keeping damage to a very acceptable minimum can be easily accomplished with patience.

as an aside, i've often toyed with the thought of collecting and drying slugs which have feasted on psilocybes for future ingestion (just not me). blech!

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: also musrooms like slug pellets !? [Re: debianlinux]
    #3151118 - 09/18/04 12:22 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

thank you for that write up - especially the tips: placing the bait ELSEWERE and placing a trap board are something that I will definitely goona try out.
seems that you have a lot of experience with slug control?
My problem is that during the week I am not always at home and do not have the time to go and collect them.
So they very often eat all the mushrooms.
At least the snail pellets seem to have an effect - today I have found several dead snails around my mushroom patches.

What I still wonder is why the mycelium likes the slug pellets that much ?
There must be some nutrients in them which they like very much, otherwise they would not grow like that on them.

> as an aside, i've often toyed with the thought of collecting and drying slugs which have feasted on psilocybes for future ingestion (just not me). blech!
What a thought: psycadelic snails - maybe a new way to come to a regular income;).

Here's a pic of my pet:

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: also musrooms like slug pellets !? [Re: ragadinks]
    #3155175 - 09/20/04 12:09 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ragadinks said:
What I still wonder is why the mycelium likes the slug pellets that much ?

well, it is slug bait. slugs eat the same basic sugar protein types that mushrooms do. in a sense, fungi and snails are in the same "vector" of decomposers. IOW, some slug foods = mushroom food.

i searched for poisonous slug bait ingredients. all the attractants are categorised as a special blend of inerts, maybe deeper searching might turn up a recipe. all the poisons i found were directly poisonous to humans, here's a couple examples of the nasty ones

Iron phosphate types are less harmful but i would imagine you still don't want to eat it once it's organically assimilated into a fruitbody:

Here is a quote concerning another factor to consider when using poison:

"Unless they are carefully covered, as in a closed sour cream container with side entry holes for example, the poison -- which often contains some sweet-smelling attractant -- is available to other creatures including birds and small mammals.

Another problem arises in the use of chemical poisons -- "how to safely dispose of slug corpses. While bodies collected from other means can be composted or flushed down the toilet, chemical-laden slugs should be buried away from your garden and any natural sources of water. This will allow most poisons to break down into harmless constituents while preventing other land animals from feeding on tainted flesh."

The same site offers a recipe that mimics beer which seems likely to be favorable to mushrooms as well:

"According to Field Guide to the Slug some of the best slug traps using beer are made from plastic margarine tubs or sour cream type containers, "the depth of which makes it harder for satiated slugs to escape."

Cut a few one-inch square or triangular doors into the container sides and use the lid to deflect rain and prevent dilution of the beer. Position the holes just below the container rim and dig the container into the soil, leaving the cut holes at or just slightly above soil level.

It's the scent of malt and yeast that attracts the voracious creatures. Adding a dash of baker's yeast makes a beer trap more effective. For a less expensive effective substitute for the beer, a mixture of yeast, flour and water can be used. Field Guide to the Slug gives this recipe: "In lieu of beer, an equally potent attractant can be concocted from two tablespoons of flour, one-half teaspoon of brewer's yeast, and one teaspoon of sugar mixed in two cups of warm water."

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: also musrooms like slug pellets !? [Re: debianlinux]
    #3155285 - 09/20/04 12:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

On the packaging of the slug pellets I have bought it says that the active component is Metaldehyd.
It also says that it does not harm other insects and that it is also not dangerous to animals that eat the dead snails like birds, hedgehog etc.
And it should be decomposed to water and carbon dioxide.
Hope that this is not only an advertisement ...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms