Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Morning Glory Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Morning Glory Polination Question.
    #3148274 - 09/17/04 02:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have 'Flying Saucer' Morning Glories growing indoors. Will the flowers polinate independently when grown indoors? Or should I seek a method for 'artifical' polination (ie. myself doing the polinating for the flowers...)?

Does anybody know a method or have a link to a method for polinating flowers which are grown indoors?

I ask this because my vine has been flowering for 2 weeks now and has yet to produce a seed pod where the many flowers have wilted and died. In fact, where the pod should emerge (or grow) simply 'decays' and falls off.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
Re: Morning Glory Polination Question. [Re: Darcho]
    #3191901 - 09/28/04 04:43 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I would assume that unless you have an amazing self-polinating plant, you'll have to this yourself. The easiest way to pollinate short of buying bees or other insects, is to get some small cheap painbrushes or those little sponge brushes that girls use to put eyeshadow on. These can all be found in a make-up department at any local store for fairly cheap. When your flowers bloom, make sure that you can identify the pistil, and that it is sticky and receptive. You can then use a brush to lightly dab some of the pollen on to the stamen. If you are a real pro, you can use a pair of tweesers and use them to pinch off a stamen, and then use that to directly pollinate a pistil.

I haven't actually pollinated morning glories, but I've hand-pollinated many other plants indoors and out. Hopefully this helps, let me know if it works for you!

Best of luck!  :thumbup:

--------------------
Life's a journey. Take the scenic route.

:sun: :heart: :heart: :sun:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Morning Glory Seeds

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden