Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
I eat bugs.
Loc: NE Arkansas
Tiny B+
    #3146724 - 09/17/04 03:00 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

After three attempts, I finally got fruit for the first time. The spores were B+ from a reliable source. I put the spawned WBS in an outdoor patch kept them well watered, they got about 4 or 5 hours of light each day. Finally, at least two dozen mushrooms reached full maturity for the first flush. The veils broke, and the caps opened up, and the largest of them were no more than two inches tall. A final flush of around 12 grams. I greatly underestimated their potency considering the size, taking a 6 gram dose, and an hour and a half later, finishing off the other six, but that's not important.

On to the question: What in the world could I have done wrong, or what could have possibly caused them to mature at such a small size. Yes, I'm sure they were fully mature, they were in a manure/hay mixture with a plastic cover to help keep the humidity in the immediate area high. They got plenty of air and water, and were B+, which I thought was supposed to be a very large strain. Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

I'm waiting for the next flush to see if they grow just as small.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Got mycelium on the brain...

Re: Tiny B+ [Re: Charles]
    #3146798 - 09/17/04 03:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Could have been temps, or more importantly temp swings. If it was hot (above 80) during the day but colder (under 65) at night then it could have made them "hurry up" and mature instead of growing very well. Also I hope your patch was not in direct sun, they like shade very much. Too much sun could have made them dry out a bit and forced them to mature early. How deep was your substrate buried (the thickness of the 'casing' layer, equivalently)?

Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

I eat bugs.
Loc: NE Arkansas
Re: Tiny B+ [Re: Spudz76]
    #3146823 - 09/17/04 03:35 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Casing layer was probably an inch, inch and a half thick. And we did have some fairly wide temperature ranges, in the mid 80's, low 90's during the day, 68-70 range at night. And yes, they did get some direct light, but only early in the morning. From where they were positioned they it was only about 2 hours after sunrise before they were in the shade. So I guess all of these were contributing factors. I'll have to wait till next year to try another outdoor patch.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation