Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Funny Thing About Awareness
    #3145810 - 09/16/04 11:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Moonshoe made a comment about how when you go to buy a new car, you never noticed it out on the roads so much until after you bought it.

I just a bought an '04 model new to the line 2 months ago and would swear, I never saw it out on the road until I found it at a dealer. After I bought it, I did start seeing them here and there.

He was equating this to how our awareness related to beleifs work. There may be hundreds of people all around you who beleive something and you may never know it, until you yourself come to beleive it.

This is a trip to think about and I think it was very clever of moonshoe to point it out with this analogy. It makes me really wonder now what I might be missing out on seeing because I havn't discovered it yet. :thumbup:

You are smokin man!

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Funny Thing About Awareness [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3145815 - 09/16/04 11:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Awareness does not equal enlightenment...isn't that funny?  :smile:

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Funny Thing About Awareness [Re: Viaggio]
    #3145862 - 09/16/04 11:43 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I agree. I wasn't talking about enlightenment though. i found it to be an interesting insight into how awareness works.

But now that you mention it, isn't enlightenment a form of having light shed on things? isn't becoming aware of something also the product of having light "attention" shed on things?

perhaps you mean to say, enlightenment does not equal wisdom.

For all I know, the car I bought was an unwise buy. But she's hot and fun to drive and I'mm loving her ride!  :tongue:

I can't gain wisdom about the car until I personally have experienced owning it.  :thumbup:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3145935 - 09/16/04 11:58 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

"Moonshoe made a comment about how when you go to buy a new car, you never noticed it out on the roads so much until after you bought it."

actually that wasnt me, cant remember who it was.

I just agreed and added that since ive gotten into graffiti art i see tags and pieces everywhere when i never noticed them before.

This is an example how in the elevated conciousness (4th dimensional?) our mind begins to take a more conciously beneficial role in creating our realities. So that which you seek,love or desire begins to present itself to you in your perception.

This is subtly different than the phenomenon of just noticing new patterns when you have a reason to be interested in them, but it is very closesly related.

Id be interested to hear your take on what this indicated Jiggy

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Funny Thing About Awareness [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3145973 - 09/17/04 12:07 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Well who did post that?

I thought it was very clever to notice and correlate to beleifs and it was inspiring. I don't have a take on it yet. Am going to drug free trip on it though. Your take on it was interesting.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (09/17/04 12:08 AM)

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #3146024 - 09/17/04 12:20 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

You guys know what synchronicity is? Well, I didn't until about 5 years ago when I read this article in a new age magazine about it. It really got me thinking. But just after that I (of course) started hearing references to it, like all the time. Same thing as the car, only with a word that attempts to describe the situation.
It's also like visualizing wealth or Trying to align yourself with positive folks. It's all in your perceptions.

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Funny Thing About Awareness [Re: ToolTroll]
    #3146032 - 09/17/04 12:23 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'm glad you posted that take on it tooltroll. As I was thinking about my own take on it, I was relating it to manifesting and how we create our own reality.

Okay, thats my take on it moonshoe, its just another experiential example of how we create or manifest realities.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

#3146063 - 09/17/04 12:29 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

"Okay, thats my take on it moonshoe, its just another experiential example of how we create or manifest realities. "

ah exactly what i was trying to say. Its a subtle and tricky buisness, noticing the way our minds are altering our realities. If we dont pay close attention we start thinking that is all out of our control, we lose our lucidity.

But its definetly true, i seem to see messages from myself to myself all the time. I guess reality is an infinite mass of possible occurences and futures, and it is our beliefs and conciousness that chooses which of those occurences and futures enter our own personal reality.

More than that the universe is an infinitly vast set of potentiality, of chaos in a sense, from which we can conciously draw certain patterns, patterns that become our experience...

we need some new language to better talk about this stuff

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #3147244 - 09/17/04 08:29 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

It definitely feels refreshing, becoming aware of new perspectives and understandings....

I feel that it is important for me to keep my expectations of reality limited, and my awareness unobstructed... life becomes more about details and the moment, and tends to be more enjoyable, even in situations that my ego wouldn't normally allow me to feel comfortable in or allow me to enjoy...

Huzzahs all around for awareness and the quiet observer! Huzzah! :grin:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Re: Funny Thing About Awareness [Re: fireworks_god]
    #3148458 - 09/17/04 03:32 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

"I feel that it is important for me to keep my expectations of reality limited"

not sure what you mean by this? sounds like in one sense that could be the opposite of what i believe.

I mean its important to keep your reality limited, in that you dont wont to allow too much suffering and bad drama into it, but its also important to keep it unlimited, so you can let in all the good shit

--------------------

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
    #3148480 - 09/17/04 03:35 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, it's funny how we naturally assume others in own perception share our perception, as they do unto us as well. I think this creates a flase sense of comfort and predictability that we would feel lost within ourselves without. There truly are infinite simuntaneous awarenesses existing right NOW.

...then

wait... now..

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#3148633 - 09/17/04 04:25 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Moonshoe said:
"I feel that it is important for me to keep my expectations of reality limited"

not sure what you mean by this? sounds like in one sense that could be the opposite of what i believe.

Well, say, for instance, I expect some result to come from a given situation... perhaps, I buy a new fish, and I intend to have him live with my other fish in my aquarium. I expect to have the fish for awhile, and that he will live peacefully among the other fish. I release him into my aquarium, and my two oscars have him dead within minutes, despite the fact that I was sure there wasn't going to be any problems.

Now, the more I expect something out of a given situation, the more I set myself up for reality not meeting my expectations. I expected that my fish would live longer than five minutes, and as he didn't, my map of reality clashed with true reality.

I didn't exactly word all of this like I intended to, but what I am saying is that if I expect something from reality, and reality doesn't deliver, if I was in any way attached to what I expected happening, I am going to suffer because of it. Reality is full of so many variables that are all interacting simultaneously, in every moment, and the less I expect certain results from reality, the more I simply be with the moment and act without mental attachment to what occurs in reality, the less I will suffer, the more I will be fufilled. Trying to seek happiness and fufillment externally is a never ending game that tends to seperate ourselves further from what we seek - it can only come from within.

Anyways... the less I "decide" what reality is in my mind, the less I set my heart on certain things occuring, the more oppurtunity I have to live completely in the here and now moment. This, of course, does not interfere with me continuing to act freely externally and to initate change at all; if anything, it more allows me to do so more effectively, as I am not going to be emotionally distrupted when reality doesn't fufill my every whim, which will only drain my energy, focus, and momentum. :grin:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
Re: Funny Thing About Awareness [Re: fireworks_god]
    #3148653 - 09/17/04 04:29 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I know exactly what you're talking about, and I strive towards it as well. Afterall, how can one deny experience? :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Re: Funny Thing About Awareness [Re: deff]
    #3148723 - 09/17/04 04:45 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

ah ok i get it now, damn good philosophy, totally in line with taoist and zen thought.

However, I still prefer to form a posotove expectation of my reality (i will succeed at this, i will do this well, this will be great etc) and then make it so.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#3148763 - 09/17/04 04:55 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Moonshoe said:
ah ok i get it now, damn good philosophy, totally in line with taoist and zen thought.

Its crazy because I've never read into either of the two, and I only recently realized that a lot of my understandings I've picked up have a lot of parallels to them. Last time I was at a library I picked up a book on Tao by Alan Watts (The Watercourse Way, I believe), and everything I read in it was completely being confirmed by what I already had come to understand. Unfortunately, the book had to go back long before I was even halfway through it... I am definitely going to be looking into both Tao and Zen very soon, because it would be nice to seek out some reinforcement and find deeper levels...

Quote:

However, I still prefer to form a posotove expectation of my reality (i will succeed at this, i will do this well, this will be great etc) and then make it so.

Towards this end, there is certainly nothing wrong with having preferences and working towards prefered ends (I think I might've mentioned it somewhere up there as well). I would personally try to not be emotionally attached to results, however. :wink:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here