Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsiTripper
Male
First time grower looking at two methods, any suggestions
    #3145129 - 09/16/04 07:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, i'm starting to get a picture of how I want to grow and my setup. I have looked around and have decided on one of two methods for my first go. I like both because they use the same container for both incubation and fruiting. This is something I really want in my setup for simplicity and privacy. I am also trying to keep it as cheap as possible for now.

1. MycoBags - I love the fact that they are pre-sterilized. I won't have to go out and buy vermiculite, rice flour, jars, pressure cooker, etc. I would only grow from one bag to start with.

2. Hippy Invitro - I would rather grow in a jar than in a bag. I could then grow multiple jars at once. The downside compared to MycoBags here is that I would have to sterilize and buy supplies. I might also need a pressure cooker. I would prefer to boil. What kind of success rate would boiling have? I would be happy to just have half of my jars contam free.

I came across these jars
http://www.pfjars.com/jars.html
But they are only available by mail order. Anyone know another place that sells pre-sterilized jars? They would be great for invitro. Although they are a little expensive.

I think I would like to go invitro. I would probably learn a lot more from it. My main concern is the pressure cooker. How big of one would I need? I know Wal-Mart sells one for about $40.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1618653
How many jars would that hold? Still I would prefer to boil if I knew it would work most of the time. What if I was to boil 2 hours instead of 1?

Which method would any of you recommend, especially for a first timer? I'm not going PF TEK, I already decided that, so please don't recommend it. I just want to know thoughts on the two methods listed above.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Loc: Western Europe
Re: First time grower looking at two methods, any suggestions [Re: PsiTripper]
    #3145154 - 09/16/04 07:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Do rye. A lot cheaper then ordering those pre done jars or even the mycobags and you said you were going for a cheap setup. But mycobags are good too. As for the PC part, it says how many jars it can hold on the box... just check there. It's hard to say about taht one because it doesn't list it. If you boil there is a greater chance of contams. If you use grain you can't boil. A 6 quart PCer though... I don't think that would hold a lot. Mine is 18 qt and holds 7 quart jars. It was 70 off amazon (shipping included). Good deal :smile:

--------------------
Everything I say on this board is a lie.

Eat more string cheese. It's good for you.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #3145172 - 09/16/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

for 1st time you really should make your own mix and use a method as close to pftek as possible. this way you practically ensure success while giving yourself an education.

if you plan to repeat the miracle you'll do yourself a service to spend the money on supplies that can be used time and time again as opposed to burning it all on a one-trick pony.

if you pay attention to detail boiling works every single time.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: First time grower looking at two methods, any suggestions [Re: SCIOpenEyedDream]
    #3145186 - 09/16/04 07:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SCIOpenEyedDream said:
As for the PC part, it says how many jars it can hold on the box... just check there.

every one i've seen lists quart capacity and that is whole volume not quart jar capacity.

seems like there is info in the FAQ about approx. jar capacity for a given PC volume.

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: First time grower looking at two methods, any suggestions [Re: debianlinux]
    #3145249 - 09/16/04 07:27 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Perhaps only the ones sold as "pressure canners" list how many jars fit. Those sold as "pressure cookers" for doing ham and stews and other stupid crap in don't, I guess. But they almost all come with a canning rack so it should say somewhere, if even on the manufacturers web site.

I would think one could come up with a calculator, where you input the inside dimensions of the thing (which usually are available) and it will tell you how many of each jar size 'should' fit inside a cylinder of that size.

--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

OfflinePsiTripper
Male
    #3145254 - 09/16/04 07:29 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for all the replies. The only drawback to a small PC is that it would take me longer to sterilize right? I don't mind that. Is there any other reason I should get a bigger PC?

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
    #3145524 - 09/16/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The only difference is how many jars you can sterilize at once. If you're going for a small, beginning grow a small PC would be right. Once you start wanting to sterilize a number of jars the extra space in a larger pc will make a big difference in the amount of time you spend PCing all those jars.

Offlineshallow
Re: First time grower looking at two methods, any suggestion [Re: PsiTripper]
    #3145564 - 09/16/04 08:48 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Because waiting around for an hour before you can do more jars blows. I have a PC that only holds 3 half pint jars and it takes over 4 hours to do 12 jars.

OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Loc: Western Europe
Re: First time grower looking at two methods, any suggestions [Re: debianlinux]
    #3145773 - 09/16/04 09:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

debianlinux said:
Quote:

SCIOpenEyedDream said:
As for the PC part, it says how many jars it can hold on the box... just check there.

every one i've seen lists quart capacity and that is whole volume not quart jar capacity.

seems like there is info in the FAQ about approx. jar capacity for a given PC volume.

Mine had it listed right on the box. Not only for quart canning jars, but 1/2 pint, and pint as well. Most all I've seen at kmarts and walmarts do.

--------------------
Everything I say on this board is a lie.

Eat more string cheese. It's good for you.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3147154 - 09/17/04 04:53 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

joshwill80 said:
Thanks for all the replies. The only drawback to a small PC is that it would take me longer to sterilize right? I don't mind that. Is there any other reason I should get a bigger PC?

without a doubt you will be wanting a bigger pc on down the road.....
:wink:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix