Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Judo wrecked my spine and neck
    #3145105 - 09/16/04 09:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i LOVED judo. It totally reshaped my body mind and self confidence. It was so fun, and taught me so much usefull stuff. Now i cant do it anymore because it fucked up both my spinal cord and my neck, not to mention seriously agravating my right knee.

I mean i always knew it was rough on my body. But you just think your invincible, even after having wierd experiences where you think your paralyzed, being chocked out and concussed etc

But X rays dont lie.

Now instead of 3 days a week judo, i get 3 days a week driving an hour and a half to the chiropractor.

Oh well make the best of it and look of it as an opportunity to try something new, im thinking getting more into graffiti art and also starting tai chi, or some other non contact martial art.

Still a bummer though i loved my club and the people and the sport

at least the knowledge of how to take down, choke out and break arms will never leave me

I mean my spine isnt like destroyed, but heres a healthy spine

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=ht...DUTF-8%26sa%3DN

see that big curve at the bottom? mine is like straight, And the nerves or whatever in between the vetebra are worn away and distorted in places.

And the neck at the top is like slanted forwards.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction. This poster is no longer active.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescape
II
Loc: somewhere but not where y...
Re: Judo wrecked my spine and neck [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3145358 - 09/16/04 09:51 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Your lucky it wasnt worse.  Take the 3 days a week to the chiropractor a blessing :crazy2:

--------------------

EVERYTHING I SAY OR DO IS FAKE, IM A COMPULSIVE LIAR, sorry for any confusion this makes.

OfflineSuicidalImpulse
Stranger
    #3145692 - 09/16/04 11:11 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It sounds like you are describing jujitsu not judo.Judo is a throwing based art with no blows thrown.Judo is adapted from jujitsu.Judo is known as the gentle art.Jujitsu however can be brutal and includes throws,holds,blows and chokes.Jujitsu can be brutal however you should not be aggravating your knee when you are doing proper form.You must be twisting or turning your knee improperly during throws or other techniques.Under no circumstances should you incur spinal injury or neck injury in any form unless you or your sparring partner severely messed up a technique or are using improper form.

I have trained in multiple styles including dabbling in judo and jujitsu for some time.I have yet to incur a single injury from practice,sparring or even tournaments.Its was very rare for any of my classmates at the dojo to incur any injuries and they were minor.

ALso be warned "non-contact" masrtial arts doesnt mean there isnt risk of serious injury.In internal styles if power is generated impromperly you can injure the joints or spine.In some internal styles the risk of serious injury is greater due the the amount of power being generated.Gentle tai chi is very healing however and has the least risk associate with it since you arent generating/manifesting power in practice.Its often very effective as a rehabilitation tool.I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery.

Also if you can afford to and can find one...a doctor that specializes in traditional chinese medicine should be able to prescribe some very effective herbal medicines to speed recovery significantly. :grin:

OfflineAhHaHaHa
there issomething on myshoulder
Loc: upon the east
    #3145898 - 09/16/04 11:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Man, you are supposed to tap out when they get you in a pin or an armbar.

--------------------
So Im packing my bags for the mysty mountains where the spirits go.

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #3147458 - 09/17/04 10:25 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

ya, my back is royally screwed from years of wrestling....constant pain, all the time. ive gotten used to it for the most part, but there are the days when i wake up in the morning and cant move for shit. or sometimes if i twist or torque my back in just the right way....ouch. anyway man, i feel your pain, both litteraly and mentally speaking...im only 23, and i feel i have my grandfathers back...

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Judo wrecked my spine and neck [Re: wrestler_az]
    #3148601 - 09/17/04 04:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Back is screwed from wrestling? No way, unless you had a single incident that caused a lingering injury. Otherwise wrestling will strengthen your back. I've wrestled for 12 years and I'm fine.

To the original poster, you must have landed badly and that is what caused it, right? Tell us the details.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Re: Judo wrecked my spine and neck [Re: looner2]
    #3149311 - 09/17/04 07:10 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

"It sounds like you are describing jujitsu not judo.Judo is a throwing based art with no blows thrown.Judo is adapted from jujitsu.Judo is known as the gentle art.Jujitsu however can be brutal and includes throws,holds,blows and chokes."

man, im talking about judo, not jujitsu, and i know full well what judo and jujitsu entail. I mean ive been taking judo for two years, so i assume i atleast got the name of the sport right.

And judo involves throws, holds, and chokes as well, it just does not involve strikes. It also takes out some of the self defence techniques like finger and wrist breaks.

And people love to misunderstand the term 'gentle way' . Judo is designed to be relatively safe to use in a sport environment (when done well) and as a self defence art is meant to Immobilize , incapacitate, or kill with the minimum of effort and damage to the opponent.

Judo teaches a number of techniques to win a fight in 1 or 2 moves, with the finishing result depending on what you intend. It is a good martial art because it is easily adaptable.

For example if your friend has gotten too drunk (or has otherwise become temporarily enraged) and is attacking you, judo is ideal for taking him to the ground (cradeling his fall on the way) then pinning him immobile or temporarily choking him out (sleeper hold).

Conversely if you seriously want to damage your opponent, a simple modification will make the initial throw a likely concussion or skull fracture, and by simply holding the choke or utilizing an armbar you can kill or maim in one easy move.

Again, judo is gentle in the sense that it does the minimum damage needed to achieve the goal boxing is NOT gentle because it involves the repetitive exchanging of blows. Judo Is gentle because it finishes the fight in two moves with the minimum of harm inflicted, but that can mean the minimum harm inflicted too maim or kill

so if your on the recieving end the 'gentleness' might not be apparent to you.

In addition, if youve ever been in a full contact, or competitive judo match, you will notice that being thrown to the ground at full force is hardly a gentle experience, and because it is a full contact sport you recieve 40-50 of these huge impacts on a daily basis. The breakfall helps but does not entirely remove the jarring impact.

Tournaments especially are brutal as everyone uses various dirty tricks to bend the tournement rules, or break them when the ref cant see.

I have yet to be to a judo competition where no one had to be removed on a stretcher, and my club has seen some severe practice related injuries.

And yes i know you are supposed to tap out in a bar or hold, i wasnt injured in those circumstances. i was simply caught in a position where i could not move with my opponents throw, so instead of being taken to the ground i had a bad wrench to my lower back, resulting in a cracking noise, my legs dropping out from me, and shaking of the limbs and hyperventilation, very scary

the neck injury was while sparring on the ground, cant remember exactly how it happend but same symptoms

anyways i know some judo clubs might be pretty tame but my teacher comes from egypt where judo is very serious buisness, and she teaches according to that background, meaning we spend most of our classes in full contact, full exertion fighting, often with people waaay out of our skill or wieght class (best way to get good is to fight a black belt!)

If judo is perfectly executed no injuries should have to occur in practice, but what martial art is always perfectly executed? and even if it is those impacts to the spine start to add up

There are a few UFC fighters who use judo exclusively in the ring. I have seen them take out huge skinhead bruisers without ever throwing a punch. A beautifull thing to see

"you should not be aggravating your knee when you are doing proper form.You must be twisting or turning your knee improperly during throws or other techniques."

in judo practice we constantly do full contact fighting, that means we are doing full throws on each other. For many of my throws i drop to one knee to complete the maneuvor, meaning both my own wieght and some of the wieght of my opponent hits the knee. effective but strenuous. if id just been smart enough to wear a knee pad i could have saved some grief. In addition my flat feet (fallen arches) put additional stress on my knees when walking.

"I have trained in multiple styles including dabbling in judo and jujitsu for some time.I have yet to incur a single injury from practice,sparring or even tournaments.Its was very rare for any of my classmates at the dojo to incur any injuries and they were minor."

arent you lucky. It depends entirely on the style your instructor has in teaching, and on luck (as well as proper preperation and conditioning)

"Also if you can afford to and can find one...a doctor that specializes in traditional chinese medicine should be able to prescribe some very effective herbal medicines to speed recovery significantly."

i really hope to find a good acupuncture/herbalist to see in addition to chiropracty

--------------------

OfflineSuicidalImpulse
Stranger
    #3149857 - 09/17/04 10:01 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The judo club here only teaches throwing techniques. (shrugs)

Quote:

And people love to misunderstand the term 'gentle way'

What I said was not influenced by any misunderstanding merely what I experience at my brief training at the local judo club.

Quote:

arent you lucky. It depends entirely on the style your instructor has in teaching, and on luck (as well as proper preperation and conditioning)

I am heavily conditioned as far as bones and ligaments go as well as having solid muscle.I can take full regular punches with little effect.Then again Ive had qigong training for many years which helped greatly among other types or training/conditioning.

I swear by traditional chinese medicine b/c of the great results I've gotten with using it for anything and because of the results I've seen others get from it.

I really didnt like judo personally.It has some shortcomings.One being that you really have to be in close proximity to use it and also because its often easy to evade if youre a martial artist fighting one trained in judo.Also the majority of moves involve using the upper body to apply moves which is again easy to evade for other martial artists.Foot based arts like tae kwon do usually defeats judo easily because the foot can reach your opponent before the hand because legs are much longer so judo practitioners usually cannot get close enough to tae kwon do practitioners to use their art.Tae kwon practitioners fight at a distance and dont let anyone get close enough to grab.This really disappointed me when I tried judo.I am however glad I did b/c I have a more complete arsenal of moves which now b/c of it includes throws.

As a sport its cool but for self defense by itself it really sucks.Im not trying to be offenseive or anything its just my personal opinion.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Re: Judo wrecked my spine and neck [Re: SuicidalImpulse]
    #3149951 - 09/17/04 10:31 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well, in a real fight you should never restrict yourself to the techniques of your martial art, but rather learn many and then utilize each one at the time when it most excels.

I would never get into a street fight using only judo, i would strike (i took kickboxing) and then when a headlock, boxers clinch or opening happens use judo.

I also took tae kwon do, and my personal problem with it was that the high kicks that it heavily utilizes are extremely impractical in a street situation, at least for me. For 90% of people trying to use alot of those kicks without a good stretching session first would result in a ripped tendon. On the icy/slushy/soaking streets of winnipeg, it would be a miracle to kick at all and not fall. And the clothes you wear in regular life would have to be pretty damn loose and stretchy.

Anyways this is getting off topic, and the simple fact is EVERYONE likes their martial art more, thats why they take it. Best to just avoid the argument discussions, not that im doing a good job

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3150278 - 09/18/04 12:26 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Moonshine, don't listen to SuicidalImpulse, he is a kook. He can withstand full power punches with effect? Get out of fantasy land suicidalimpulse, I don't care how much muscle you have, if anyone remotely trained in punching decides to crack your face full power, you'll be down.

Then you make the ridiculous Tae-kwon-do statement beating judo. What evidence do you have of such and improbable situation? TKD can't hold a candlestick to any style in MMA, (whereas some of the best fighters in the world have extensive Judo backgrounds) let alone a person with no training whatsoever. Yes, thats right, I would bet on an untrained dude from the street over a TKD "fighter". Their moves are so impractical that they will work against them.

OfflineSuicidalImpulse
Stranger
    #3150364 - 09/18/04 12:57 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I dont have a single martial art I have studied many other the years for various amounts of time.TKD was my first one and the one I've studied the longest.I have a wide variety of techniques.

Quote:

I would never get into a street fight using only judo, i would strike (i took kickboxing) and then when a headlock, boxers clinch or opening happens use judo

(nods) I've met judo purists who try to use only judo.I think judo is neat but its application is a bit limited to close combat and ground fighting to a small extent.But to be fair TKD for example is mostly longer range techniques and would be fairly inadequate on the ground or close up.I learned this a long time ago(TKD being mostly more distance fighting). lol

Quote:

I also took tae kwon do, and my personal problem with it was that the high kicks that it heavily utilizes are extremely impractical in a street situation, at least for me. For 90% of people trying to use alot of those kicks without a good stretching session first would result in a ripped tendon. On the icy/slushy/soaking streets of winnipeg, it would be a miracle to kick at all and not fall. And the clothes you wear in regular life would have to be pretty damn loose and stretchy.

I dont have a problem using TKD in street situations and I rather favor the high kicks as kicks to the head are very effective to deter a fight or stop it quickly.TKD however also has good striking techniques and plenty of mid/waist level kicks.It does however lack good low kicks.Im not far from canada myself but I dont have problems fighting on ice usually then again I always make sure my shoes grip excellently on ice and Im fairly limber and well balanced.But not every art is suited for everyone.And everyone has different strong areas.And yes I do tend to wear alot of loose clothing so Im sure that makes a diff.I cant stand tight clothing.

Quote:

Anyways this is getting off topic, and the simple fact is EVERYONE likes their martial art more, thats why they take it. Best to just avoid the argument discussions, not that im doing a good job 

I think its healthy discussion and not really an argument at all.But I cant say I have a martial art I've taken many and Im quite fond of a few but I think TKD has a special place in my heart because I've been with for so long and it was what introduced me to martial arts.

I hope you recover as quickly as possible from this. :grin: :thumbup:

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

#3150371 - 09/18/04 01:00 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yeah im really bummed but i think if i take a sabatical and try tai chi or something, that will let me recover and also be a usefull new skill set to learn (tai chi could be quite usefull integrated with judo)

--------------------

OfflineSuicidalImpulse
Stranger
    #3150411 - 09/18/04 01:14 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Pick a book on Iron body techniques or iron shirt or at least a book that mentions those techniques.Its common knowledge that iron shirt qigong allows practitioners to absorb full body blows without any effect.

Internal arts can do alot more than merely absorb blows.Also check out fa jin or similar topics about emitting chi offensively.

As far as tkd beating judo?Practical application.Ive been in more fights than most people can imagine both in and out of the ring.

It also wouldnt hurt to check out books on chi kung or qigong.They all talk about internal power.Hard qigong would likely be to your liking.

Hard qigong practices can do amazing things like absorb full power blows of all kinds,take full blows to the head,break spears againstthe throat and tons more.I've even seen then pull 500 lb objects with their "private parts" as a result of qigong.There are tons of videos and books that discuss this all in great detail.

Iron hand is also interesting.High level practioners can break cement with slaps and generate extreme dizziness or break the skull by slapping a human head with a conditioned hand.

There are also tons of books and videos on this and its well documented.All of this I mention is well documented.Hardly fantasy.

I said I have taken MANY styles.This makes me MMA not just TKD.TKD is only one of the arts I have taken.I find the techniques very useful for my prefered fighting style.For everything I say I have practical street application and practical ring application for.

No untrained fighter is likely to beat ANY trained fighter regardless of style and skill doesn not matter if you fight with a clouded mind.You can be the world champion and lose easily if you fight angered.As far as fighting untrained people go ive had enough of them take a poke at me and all I have to do is use my calm intellect vs their enraged and clouded mind.They punch with no direction and I step aside and dodge easily. All it takes is a powerful counter with a simple technique to win the fight.I have had my share of one or two hit fights.Precise calculated power strikes are far better than wild flailing.lmao.

Even as you post looner your emotions and prejudices have overtaken you. :frown: Clouded minds cannot do their best.

OfflineSuicidalImpulse
Stranger
    #3150421 - 09/18/04 01:19 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I do highly recommend tai chi.Its very healing and very low impact so your body can rest and you can still do martial arts.

Meditation shouldnt be forgtten either.Ive found it very useful for healing and recovery.Especially if done for periods of an hour or more in full lotus position.

Tai is very effective as a fighting style as well.Although it can take time to learn the moves in a combat context as generation of power has to be learned.The softer method used for health can be learned easily and quickly however. :grin:

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park, Space Hunter

#3150427 - 09/18/04 01:21 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

" Its common knowledge that iron shirt qigong allows practitioners to absorb full body blows without any effect. "

I'd wagerthat people not even knowing what qigong is. Let alone common knowledge.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Edited by sir tripsalot (09/18/04 01:28 AM)

OfflineSuicidalImpulse
Stranger
Re: Judo wrecked my spine and neck [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #3150435 - 09/18/04 01:25 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I meant among avid martial artists its common knowledge.Most martial artists who are into multiple arts usually know about it.Sorry.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3152068 - 09/18/04 10:01 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Pick a book on Iron body techniques or iron shirt or at least a book that mentions those techniques.Its common knowledge that iron shirt qigong allows practitioners to absorb full body blows without any effect.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes: You want "iron body" techniques then go to a boxing gym. Lots of ab exercises to strengthen your core, and some neck exercises to help absorb shock to your head is all you can do. See the thing is that boxers actually FIGHT, and train to deal with punches, not read a book and think they are some mystical warrior.

Quote:

Internal arts can do alot more than merely absorb blows.Also check out fa jin or similar topics about emitting chi offensively.

Internal arts show zero proof of being effective, actually the evidence is the opposite. On top of that, chi is not real.

Quote:

As far as tkd beating judo?Practical application.Ive been in more fights than most people can imagine both in and out of the ring.

I'd like to call bullshit, but since we will never know the truth, humor me and tell me what kind of fighting you did in a ring.

Quote:

Hard qigong practices can do amazing things like absorb full power blows of all kinds,take full blows to the head,break spears againstthe throat and tons more.I've even seen then pull 500 lb objects with their "private parts" as a result of qigong.There are tons of videos and books that discuss this all in great detail.

:grin: :rolleyes: This is where your argument falls flat on it's face. How can anyone take you seriously when you believe in mystical mumbo jumbo that never passes a single scientific test or shows proof in any type of fighting whatsoever?

Quote:

No untrained fighter is likely to beat ANY trained fighter regardless of style and skill doesn not matter if you fight with a clouded mind.You can be the world champion and lose easily if you fight angered.As far as fighting untrained people go ive had enough of them take a poke at me and all I have to do is use my calm intellect vs their enraged and clouded mind.They punch with no direction and I step aside and dodge easily. All it takes is a powerful counter with a simple technique to win the fight.I have had my share of one or two hit fights.Precise calculated power strikes are far better than wild flailing.lmao.

Absolutely not. Your 60 year old fat sensei may say these things, but its all FALSE confidence. Which is why I am passionate to shed the light on this kind of dogmatic thinking. People looking for self defense are bound to get hurt unless they train in a practical way. TKD is incredibly unrealistic, and an untrained invdividual throwing punches in bunches is the root fo animal aggression and it will over come a TKD practitioner who is thinking, "sidestep to a teeping spining backfist!!"... sorry buddy, you just got KTFO. TKD doesn't train in real life situations. Instinct > TKD

Quote:

Even as you post looner your emotions and prejudices have overtaken you. Clouded minds cannot do their best. 

Very deep my profound eastern mystic fan-boy! But lets remember, my thinking has PROOF yours has zilch. qiqong, TKDO, "internal arts" have all failed the test of mixed martial arts, there has never been a successful person utilizing these styles in modern combat. Where is your proof?

OfflineSuicidalImpulse
Stranger
    #3153032 - 09/19/04 03:26 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

You want "iron body" techniques then go to a boxing gym. Lots of ab exercises to strengthen your core, and some neck exercises to help absorb shock to your head is all you can do. See the thing is that boxers actually FIGHT, and train to deal with punches, not read a book and think they are some mystical warrior.

If iron body is crap as you think it is.Then why can martial artist who use iron body techniques withstand blows that even large fit muscular men cannot?

Those ignorant of a subject cannot speak on it b/c they know nothing of it. lmao.Mystical warrior?Are you saying techniques which have been is use for centuries and centuries and centuries are wrong compared to your shallow knowledge and experience of martial arts in your short few decades of life? lmao.Ego is your downfall.Ego destroys one's self much worse than any "enemy" ever could.

Quote:

Internal arts show zero proof of being effective, actually the evidence is the opposite. On top of that, chi is not real.

Prove to me chi is not real?Prove they are ineffective.Have you even met a real practioner of high level internal arts.If chi is not real how can you explain a mere slap from a high level internal styleartist breaking a block of cement when external arts cannot do the same?Can you my friend slap a cement block and break it without resorting to cheating/trickery?Have you witnessed demonstrations of high level internal arts? Sincerely doubtful.If chi is not real then how does acupuncture which relies solely on chi and its actions heal far better than modern medical science which ignorantly denies its existence half the time?

Quote:

I'd like to call bullshit, but since we will never know the truth, humor me and tell me what kind of fighting you did in a ring. 

Inside the ring I've been to many tournaments both TKD and MMA ranging from local matches to state level and higher.Outside the ring I've been in even more fights since egomaniacs like to pick fights with me b/c I dont appear to be able to effectively defend myself b/c Im not a huge weightlifter.Of course I try to avoid fighting.But some people will not stop trying so I must defend myself.Some people must learn the hard way.

Quote:

This is where your argument falls flat on it's face. How can anyone take you seriously when you believe in mystical mumbo jumbo that never passes a single scientific test or shows proof in any type of fighting whatsoever?

Where are these results form these tests hmm?I doubt you have any proof.I suppose you can explain anything right? lmao.Science cannot explain everything nor has it discovered everything.If science is so correct than why does the seemingly "mystical mumbo jumbo" supercede medical science?Why are high level internal artists able to do things that defy science completely?Why is chinese medicine so much more advanced and much more effective even though science denied it for years and still cannot explain it but is finally recognizing it?If chi is not real than what is kirlian photography picking up?Can you answer any of this?No.But you will try to explain it away b/c of ego.

Quote:

Absolutely not. Your 60 year old fat sensei may say these things, but its all FALSE confidence. Which is why I am passionate to shed the light on this kind of dogmatic thinking. People looking for self defense are bound to get hurt unless they train in a practical way. TKD is incredibly unrealistic, and an untrained invdividual throwing punches in bunches is the root fo animal aggression and it will over come a TKD practitioner who is thinking, "sidestep to a teeping spining backfist!!"... sorry buddy, you just got KTFO. TKD doesn't train in real life situations. Instinct > TKD

lmao My sensei is a multiple time national champion and is a bit over 30 nowhere near 60.lmao.Animal aggression is a downfall.One cannot even control one's self let alone dominant another.And if animal agression is so great why do you even need martial arts?Why arent you training in animal aggression?Why arent you increaing your anger and all the root emotions?If you fight angry you have already lost my friend.It seems you know little of TKD.(yawns)Your ignorance is seriously large.Research and learn a bit.It wouldnt hurt to have knowledge and intellect to go with martial technique.

Blindly throwing punches accomplishes nothing.How can you hit another person if you're not aiming or trying to hit any specific target?Why even fight if you're not aiming.Why even learn martial technique if you are going to flail about like a fish out of water?

Quote:

Very deep my profound eastern mystic fan-boy! But lets remember, my thinking has PROOF yours has zilch. qiqong, TKDO, "internal arts" have all failed the test of mixed martial arts, there has never been a successful person utilizing these styles in modern combat. Where is your proof? 

You have produced zero proof.You have only proven yourself to be full of yourself and you have proven you are a slave to ego and anger and petty emotion.How can you master anything if you cannot even master yourself?Why do internal artists genenrally not compete in MMA?For one high level internal artists are more rare these days b/c people want to learn and they want to learn now.They want to be able to fight with their techniques quickly and want to learn something easily without hard work.Internal arts is often very hard work and reaching a high level takes significantly longer than learning external arts.Also internal arts generally do not usually have ranking systems.This bothers the majority of people since they want instant gratification.Most people need tot ake an art with a ranking system.It is ego.Many internal techniques have been lost and the ones that remain arent usually taught in schools since there are few internal style martial arts schools especially here iun the states.Most people do noit want to put in ALOT of work and see little result for long periods of time.Energy work takes many years to bring to high levels.Alot of internal arts are also designed to seriously injure and kill.They are not generally sport.Its not like a strike or a hold.They generate alot of power usually used from breaking,crushing,ripping limbs out of sockets,severing the spine,etc.Such as tiger style shaolin or ba gua zhang.Internal styles are not usually used in sport competition.Most martial artists these days are simply external martial artists.

Where is my proof?I can point fingers and demand your proof as well.You cannot offer me any proof just as I cannot offer satisfactory proof either.

Quote:

there has never been a successful person utilizing these styles in modern combat

Never huh?Wow must be tough knowing everything and everyone.lmao.

I feel I've already wasted too much time trying to teach someone with a closed mind.No matter what I say or do or offer as proof,you will remain closed minded claiming superiority in some way because your ego controls you.(sighs)

Going to a gym 3 times a week doesnt and learning one style maybe two doesnt make you a martial artist nor does going around trying to beat everyone up.

I sincerely hope my friend you learn some humility and respect before you learn the hard way.People are not kind out there and it'd be a pity for anyone to get hurt.(sighs)This attitude of yours is not healthy in any way.

This whole post has gotten out of hand.We are supposed to be supporting and trying to help moonshoe.Not you taking cheap verbal shots at e because your ego cant fathom something.Get over yourself you dont know everything and you aren't the best.No one is.If any one person was the best no one would ever be able to defeat him or her.

I promise you if you conquer yourself first your skills in your art will improve greatly.

I also sincerely wish you luck in your training. :grin:

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3153174 - 09/19/04 02:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Holy shit, you competed in MMA? thats impressive. I respect anyone who has gotten in the ring and actually fought! What organization did you fight in and whats your name? I can look up your record at ww.sherdog.com. They have a fightfinder that has just about every MMA fight recorded.

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #3156361 - 09/20/04 04:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

As a fellow martial artist who has suffered from frequent back problems (some related to martial arts, some not), I will agree with others who have suggested taking a less impact related martial art. I will admit that many martial arts can be effective, however practicing them can cause long term health defects. Many martial arts involve high levels of impact in their practice (board/brick breaking, judo throws,etc). As other have mentioned Tai Chi, Quigong, or even Yoga are shown to be effective at conditioning the injured body. Also, strengethening your abdominal muscles, can do wonders for lower back problems. It is definetely possible for you to recondition your body and return to your martial art.
If you are looking for an effective fighting style that is less strenous on the back, I can suggest Ninjutsu. Although some techniques are very similar or the same as Judo/Jujitsu, the majority involve manipulating the body in a 'chiropractic' sort of way, and it is extremely effective. Chinese Martial Arts are also very effective without being as physically strenous as Judo.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being