Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
beginner mac questions
    #3143523 - 09/16/04 02:46 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

okay. so i'm living at school now, and our rooms come with macs. but i'm used to using a pc. its kind of nice, everything seems very slick and pretty. much more graphic than windows.

a few questions about things i dont understand. how come i cant close some programs? I opened a chess game and in the upper left hand corner, theres the minimize button and the max button, but the close button is blacked out. i'm sure its some obvious thing, but i dont see it.

it keeps talking to me when i open certain apps. is there a central way to turn this off?

How do i open more than one copy of a certain application? Like, ie, for instance. If I click on the e button on the toolbar, (Which is very cool, BTW) it just brings up the browser window i already have open.

And, last, is there a complete program list somewhere? Like what you find under the start button in windows? I would think it would be finder, but thats like file manager.

more to follow. thank you in advance.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedarkfly
LysergicExperimenter

Re: beginner mac questions [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #3147307 - 09/17/04 09:19 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

First of all I assume these Macs are running OS X, if they are running OS 9 I really cant be much of help.

1.) All programs can be closed, you just dont use the exit button like you are used to on windows, this only closes the window but leaves the app running. In the Dock on the bottom of your screen any apps that are running will have a small arrow under them. To close an app you click on any window that belongs to the application, click the program name from the menu bar at the top and choose quit.

2.) As far as the talking when you open apps, this is most likely done in the speech settings under system preferences. Looks like a light switch with an apple icon on it, either in the dock or in your Applications folder.

3.) And as far as the complete list of open apps, all open apps will appear in the Dock at the bottom with an arrow under them, ones without an arrow are not running.

--------------------
Everything Is Blue In This World. The Deepest Shade Of Mushroom Blue.

Offlinepsychonautix
21st CenturySchizoid Man
Male

Loc: 3532i 122393j 243509k
Re: beginner mac questions [Re: darkfly]
    #5334995 - 02/24/06 03:54 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

If you are looking for a more complete list of applications that are currently installed, try looking in MacHD>Applications.

Another cool thing about macs that I think you will come to love is when installing a program usually all you will have to do is drag and drop the program icon into the applications folder. Symbolic installs are really cool :laugh:.

Also, Mac's excell at hotkeys, or key combos to make your work move faster. To quickly close a program just hit the apple key+Q. To close a window in an application (say, firefox or safari), without closing the application, just hit apple+W. To make a new window in a web browser typically all you have to do is hit, apple+N.

There are tons of other hotkeys that are extremely useful and come to you with time.

If you are still using Internet Explorer you may want to try looking at Mozilla Firefox. Its probably the best (safest and stablest) web browser on the internet, and its free. check it out at www.getfirefox.com

PS. To install things on your Mac:
-usually installation packets come in .dmg or .trz(something like that)
- to install them, double click the icon when the file is done downloading
- it will mount a virtual drive on your system, in the drive there will be a program icon
- drag the program icon into applications
- done

Enjoy your new mac :laugh:

--------------------
Elevate Organically.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology