Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Aquarium Heater

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinearbalest
wut kent?
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Just Wondering...
    #3142770 - 09/16/04 10:24 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Ive been reading alot on here, and other sites, so I've decided soon that I will start growing some mushrooms. I'm going to start with P. Cubensis, and I might try some edibles aswell.

I'm going to follow the PF Tek for my first few times, I've read a bit about the more advanced techniques, just so I know what other methods I can use when I get the experience. Everything seems pretty straight forward so far, although I just wanted to make sure of a few things.

Basically for my terarrium, its going to be some kind of tub or aquarium of a decent size, I'm going to fill the bottom with geolite, some water on the geolite, and bubble stones under that. I am going to put an aquarium heater in the bottom.

1. But I was just wondering if these aquarium heaters have an actual temperature control, which will constantly keep it at a certain temperature, or if I will have to manually turn it off if it gets too hot. Should I buy a stainless steel one or a glass one? Or it doesnt matter?

2. Also, is it mandatory that I use peroxide in the water that I add to the bottom of the terrarium?

I really didn't want to have to ask 'newbie' questions, because I thought I'd make better use of the resources already here, but these were just some things that I wanted to make sure of.

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSugarMagnolia
WecanhaveHIGHtimesifyoudontmind

Loc: Halfway between here and ...
Re: Just Wondering... [Re: arbalest]
    #3142793 - 09/16/04 10:36 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

As far as I have read Magash says no heater is required for the fruiting chamber. There is a post of his for the PMP-Poor mans Pod, its like 20 something pages. I read it all and it clarified everything for me. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me but I don't think you need a heater for the terrarium.

--------------------
Peace,Love,& Shroominess! My favorite Mushroom site!

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3142813 - 09/16/04 10:48 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You're combining teks here. You can use those airstones in your terrarium but you should hook them up to an air pump for some fresh air exchange. The heater is for an incubator. Terrariums should be kept room termperature (75F is fine).

Yes, fully submersible water heaters often have thermostats.

Try 1 part 3% H2O2 solution per 10 parts water. It can only benefit you, and it's cheap.

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3142879 - 09/16/04 11:14 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The only reason to use a heater with a PMP design (or any fruiting chamber) is if your location for the tub is lower than around 72F degrees, and even then it's not horrible. Just as long as it's cooler than 80F or so inside the tub, but 75F is usually considered 'perfect'. Also if you have temp swings and the heater could keep the temp more stable in the tub/terrarium/chamber. And in order to use a heater you should use a second tub with water in it just like the Tub-in-tub incubator also. The aquarium heaters must be submersed or they will overheat and break/explode, and the water w/geolite is probably not enough water contact.

Magash says steel ones seem to heat more evenly or something, which makes sense, and also obviously they are more difficult to break. The peroxide in the water just helps keep the water 'fresh' by inhibiting bacterial growth ('slime').

--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Aquarium Heater

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation