Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWhippersnapper
noobie
Perlite Dust....and using Fish pump alright?
    #3139480 - 09/15/04 04:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i was wondering if the perlite was supposed to have a lot of dust in it and if it hurts anything. The other...i have a fish pump and bubble stone i was going to use w/ the perlite. Good/Bad Idea? what should i do?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend

Loc: The Yard
Re: Perlite Dust....and using Fish pump alright? [Re: Whippersnapper]
    #3139541 - 09/15/04 04:34 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The bottom of the bag usually comes with dust in it, probably accumulates during shipping. If you notice you can crumble the chunks to dust (when dry) easily, so this probably happens a lot during shipment to the store.

Make sure to take from the top of your bag, and don't get real rough with the perlite. You'll be fine.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3139542 - 09/15/04 04:34 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

>i was wondering if the perlite was supposed to have a lot of dust in it and if it hurts anything.
DON'T BREATHE IT!

>The other...i have a fish pump and bubble stone i was going to use w/ the perlite. Good/Bad Idea?

Good Idea! :thumbup:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineWhippersnapper
noobie
Re: Perlite Dust....and using Fish pump alright? [Re: george castanza]
    #3139559 - 09/15/04 04:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

haha yeah i stuck my face like right up to the bag and tore it open and the dust just went all over me. i was checking because it wont hurt anything being in the terranium will it? Do you guys recommend putting the cakes directly on the perlite till i see pins?

Edited by Whippersnapper (09/15/04 04:38 PM)

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3139699 - 09/15/04 05:03 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Get a pinning strategy, as Hyphae always says. Introduce the four pinning triggers at the same time and you'll get good pins.

You can set your cakes directly on the Perlite if you want, or you can set something between them.

Directly on Perlite:
Pros - Perlite acts like a "wick" and brings water to the cake, hydrating it.
Cons - Room for contamination from perlite/water if contaminants are present. Any opening of the container will allow contams on the surface of the perlite/water...

Something between Perlite/cake:
Pros - Less opportunity for contamination. Pieces don't fall into perlite and make more of a mess.
Cons - Missing out on hydration, but if you have good humidity and have dunked, not a huge concern.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineCornelius
Heinous Anus
Male User Gallery

Loc: T.O.
Re: Perlite Dust....and using Fish pump alright? [Re: george castanza]
    #3139719 - 09/15/04 05:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

george castanza said:
>i was wondering if the perlite was supposed to have a lot of dust in it and if it hurts anything.
DON'T BREATHE IT!

>The other...i have a fish pump and bubble stone i was going to use w/ the perlite. Good/Bad Idea?

Good Idea! :thumbup:

is perlite dust bad to breathe?.. cause i inhaled quite a bit the other day by accident.... :shocked:

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: Perlite Dust....and using Fish pump alright? [Re: Cornelius]
    #3141333 - 09/15/04 09:54 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

it aint good to inhale anything except air, and air with pot in it.!
but seriously, perlite is a lung irritant and to some who use it a lot get a skin irritation, eyes too. just wet the perlite before you use it and this will stop all dust from going airborne, put a few holes in the bottom of the bag open the top slowly any soak with a watering can, let the water drain out and you should be good to go. works with anything, like vermiculite. commercial places make you wear protective clothing when working with such things. one time i got a bag of kill and it had some perlite stuck in the bud, people are f'n so crazy.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates